Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2002 10:40:20 PM EDT
Hello all.  Name's Jomma.  I've been reading for a while now and been doing searches for a while now.

I'm from Texas and a concealed weapons holder....so as you can see, I've got 2 things going for me! hehe

Anyhow, I've decided to build my first one.  Rather than buy, being that I will learn more about it, and be more knowledgeable.  I've got a marine buddy going to help and assist me and we are going to take it out and have fun.

I got a kit from J&T (M4 kit) and a RRA lower from Gunsmoke.  Got a Thermold and an Orlite mag coming in also.  

In searching, i've found this site to be most vivid on exactly how to build one.

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/atl/n/t/ntrigant/

This the most accurate site or there better ones?

Anyways, glad to finally sign up and look forward to posting and seeing you guys around!

BTW, if anyone is from West Texas, lemme know.  I'd love to go shoot my new baby M4 (once assembled of course) w/ some knowledgeable bros!

Jomma

ps...don't worry...no auto sears, M16 trigger posts from me...lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get some USGI mags also, the Thermolds are good, but I've found out the hard way that they don't do well mixed with sand.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard.

If you have any questions during assembly, this is the place to be.  Those directions were originally from this site, I don't know if they have been updated or not.  As long as you or someone with you knows the gun you will have no problems assembling at all - be sure to do a function check when you are done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcom Jomma,

Here is an on-site article on how to assemble your lower - probably the best I've seen:
old.ar15.com/docs/assembly/lower/

But I'd also tell you to make sure you have a copy of the -23&P - which is the military's manual for troubleshooting and repair.

It has step-by-step instructions on how to put all the parts together.  Don't forget your Moly Grease (w/o Graphite!!) which you can get at any auto parts store.  The grease is used when installing the barrel and the receiver extension.  You can buy the manual from Bushmaster or Fulton Armory or download it for free here:www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Maintenance/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I just went to check out the article you mentioned.  Looks like someone copied a couple of articles off of Old.ar15.com and put them up.  I sure wish Goatboy or Ed would get them onto the new version of the site.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
lol

looks like someone did the ole Copy and Paste and put it on their site aye?

yea, I think that would be a great thing to have, maybe a section dedicated to building directions, cleaning directions, etc for all the new guys to AR15's (like myself)

lata boys! and thanks for the welcomes!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
ditto the USGI mag.  i've only had one problem with one of the i-don't-know-how-many we've got:  bad spring.  last round doesn't feed properly because of it, stovepipes.  other than that, no problemo.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
lol

looks like someone did the ole Copy and Paste and put it on their site aye?

yea, I think that would be a great thing to have, maybe a section dedicated to building directions, cleaning directions, etc for all the new guys to AR15's (like myself)

lata boys! and thanks for the welcomes!

There used to be sections like that - I'm sure Goatboy is working to put them back.

BTW over at the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site we do have a FAQ with sub sections for parts & cleaning you might find usefull.

But for the best instructions on cleaning and assembly you should consult the 'books'.

the -23&P (link is above) for assembly

the -10 for operation & cleaning (also at the above listed site)
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got a kit from J&T (M4 kit) and a RRA lower from Gunsmoke.  Got a Thermold and an Orlite mag coming in also.

WELCOME!
I put together an AR lower. Those little detents in the take-down push-pins are a pain the neck.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
hey jomma, just out of curiosity how much did the rra lower from gunsmoke cost?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
$95

best deal I have found online and I have been looking!  btw, if you know a cheaper one, don't let me know...........don't wanna kick myself in the butt! lol

Overall cost for 1st AR15 (M4 style)

$474 J&T Mock M4 Kit
$95 lower
$13 Orlite Mag
$19 Thermold Mag
$27 Go and No Go headspace guages
$12 Hard Case from sporting goods store
----------------
$640 Total

I think I got out good.  Only thing I didn't get is the chrome lined barrel.  Yet, for my first, I want to get familiar and used to the gun before I go for the gold.  

Btw, who can have just 1 gun?  I know I said that when I bought handguns.....well after the Taurus PT140 that was it right?

WRONG!  I then got Glock 36, Glock 26, KelTec 32, Bersa .380...........lol

Now if I can just save enough to get the Steyr M40.......................

Anybody have any comments about my AR15 or the new Steyr M40 handgun?

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Did your J&T kit come with the barrel installed on the reciever?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]
yea

everything is fully assembled on the upper.
lower parts kit w/ pistol grip and buttstock is also included in the kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top