Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 9:47:51 PM EDT
Do you guys have more than one AR? and do they serve a particular purpose, or do you collect them just for the love of it.  

This post is not INTENDED TO ASK how many AR you have, so don't reply and give an exact number  

I was just cleaning my old SP1 and the wife came in to ask if that was my new gun, nope. The Bushmaster Varminter 24 will be in tomorrow, and the scary thing is she not bitchN about another gun, she thinks this is my new hunting rifle, LOL, ya kind of, if you like to hunt coyotes. Then I was thinking about getting another one, this one built by William at the Tannery, is this the start of some sick disease? do I need to start group therapie at the range? I'm getting this insatiable desire to by ammo (allot of ammo) haveOk I'm over it, just had to see if I was the only one
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it is a disease, no doubt about that.  The 2002 LEGP makes 3 for me with more to come (I have commited myself to the 5 year run).  First and foremost, at least one has to be a preban.   You have to have a carbine, and a rifle.  You have to have one for each sight/optic setup that you NEED.  If you are able, you have to have an M16 too.  One set up for CQB, one set up for long range precision, one set up for plinking, one set up for the kids.  9MM, .308, .300Whisper, 7.62x39, can I get one in .45?

I ask myself the same question though.  How many do I need?  When the LEGP run is over I will have 6 including the preban, so I hope that at least one of the LEGPs is an AR10.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I get asked this question all the time,not just about how many AR's I have but they ask why do I need more than one gun(people asking are not gun owners ofcourse) most of them say,"well you only have two arms" or "is that really necessary to have all that firepower"? my answer......HELL YES!!

I then continue to reply to say if the SHTF you would be the first person running to me to borrow a gun for the protection of your family......They then proceed to eat their own words.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You are not alone.  I had an SP1 that i purchased from a friend 8 years ago.  I also have a Springfield Armory M1A1 along with a Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30.  Once he got a clarification on NJ laws, he wanted to buy it back.  I finally decided that I would sell back the SP1 once I had purchase another AR.  I bought a Colt Match HBar.  Then I discovered Auction Arms and Gunbroker.com.  This led to a purchase of a Stoner SR15.  Then came the craving for mags.  The wife surprisingly did not bitch but floored me when she questioned why I was selling the SP1.  So that led to a purchase of an SP1!  Then came the insatiable desire to buy 5000 rounds of ammo.  That was followed by a purchase of an SPII.  The last two AR's she does not know about.  Hey at least I'm well on my way to kicking my computer addiction.  Now I'm addicted to AR's.  
I guess each one will have it's purpose.  My next project will be to do an M4 conversion on the SPII.  Then I guess I'll have to sell some of my computers to be able to continue purchasing new toys if I value my well being.
I can't stop dreaming of an SR25.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Enough for now, but, not for later.
This might turn into a 'family' thing...
Yeah!  That's it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
How many is too many?  If your garage door won't shut anymore, you might have too many.

When I am asked why I need more than one gun, I ask why a golfer needs all those different golf clubs.  After all, he only swings one at a time.  Then I just explain that there are many aspects to shooting, and I enjoy more than one form.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When I am asked why I need more than one gun, I ask why a golfer needs all those different golf clubs.  After all, he only swings one at a time.  

Good.  Gotta remember that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've limited myself to just two types of ARs. Full size and carbine. Now if I could just limit myself to two ARs!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've limited myself to just two types of ARs. Full size and carbine. Now if I could just limit myself to two ARs!

yes but you need 1 full length post ban and 1 full length pre-ban plus 1 carbine post ban 1 carbine preban!  hehehe see your now at 4.

i still have only 1.  bushy 20'
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I am asked why I need more than one gun, I ask why a golfer needs all those different golf clubs.  After all, he only swings one at a time.  

Good.  Gotta remember that.

yeah, me too.

Raptor22, I am with you on that SR25.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
This might be kinda long but worth reading. These 2 statement came from a gum mag from the early 90's that I put to memory. When asked about WHY so many guns " some people have enough to arm themselves, some enough to arm their neighbors and some enough to arm their neighborhood" What do you fall under?

When people ask WHY I own a AR15, AK 47, Galil ect....... " Its the typ of weapon the founding fathers entended for me to own. One in which I may hope to denfend myself when the sanction of society and law are insuffient to restrain the violence of oppression"

Plus the more you own the more you are worth. With todays money market guns are realy increasing with value. You cant have to many.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Currently five, I wish I had another three receiver to build on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]

I could possibly have more than two and less than ten ;) I could have seven uppers in three calibers, or maybe not.
I doubt anyone could talk me into buying another one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#14]
if you have to ask, you have too many.  as i haven't asked that question yet, i'm obviously not exceeding my "too many" status.

send me your extras and we'll call it even.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I own one and my employer issued me two.

Frankly, I think I will have "enough" when I have sufficient stocks on hand to outfit everyone in my neighborhood (in case the Martians invade) or everyone in the local PD (in case of an LA-type shootout) or at least to form my own small army.

Of course, I have to get that by the wife.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I have between 2 and 4 AR's!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to have well over a dozen pre-ban AR15's, but now I have none.  M16's?  Now thats a different story...
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#18]
You dont have enough until your safe is full.  Then you get another safe, which creates the problems of not having enough.  Its a never ending cycle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I can answer how many is enough.
Just 1 more Really!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
AR's are like bullets, you can never have too many
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
you can NEVER have

too much money
too much time
OR
too many guns !!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#23]
The answer is 63! It took me a while using a computer to calculate the third degree integral of a eighth order polynomial to figure this out. SO trust me, 63 is the point when you go from normal to too many AR's. Then again this only takes into account a single person so who knows how many if there are more people in your house.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes but you need 1 full length post ban and 1 full length pre-ban plus 1 carbine post ban 1 carbine preban!  hehehe see your now at 4.

i still have only 1.  bushy 20'

Perhaps its a good thing that my finances are so short. It saves me from having to make such decisions. I cant imagine what I would be like if I had unlimited finances to buy all the AR's I chose. I mean, where do you stop? What if you do need to arm all your relatives, friends and neighbors?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I came up with three basic rifles:

• A light weight carbine with an 18 inch barrel and Comp ML red dot for CQB.

• A mid-weight rifle with a 20 inch barrel and an ACOG for the designated marksmen role.

• A high-weight rifle with a 22 inch barrel and telescopic scope for long distance shooting.

Then found that anything worth having one was worth having two and so I have none now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top