Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2002 2:02:59 PM EDT
I am probably going to pick up a 30-06 Winchester M70(1985 Production) for a good price.  I am thinking about converting it to a 300WSM long range sniper rifle.  Rebarrel it with a 24 inch Tac-Ord polygonal heavy barrel, stock it with a McBro A2 stock(Possible cheek piece), scope it with a nice Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mil-Dot Reticle, Long Range, 30mm, Side Focus mount it to a Badger ring.  Anyone makes good scope mount for the Winchester?? what do you guys think??  Is it worth the 200 initial cost for the Winchester action??
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
.300 WSM will fit in a short action, so if you can, get a .308 or .243 to start with.

Its my understanding that a Remington action is easier to blueprint or true, whatever you want to call it, if you wan that done.  Also, you can choose from a variety of mounts with the Remington, they are more popular as tactical rifles.

Its all up to you.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a choice, I'd go with a short action.  Especially if you want the accuracy.  Short action rifles tend to be much stiffer than long actions, and are thus more accurate.

I'm sure that you can find either a Remington or a Winchester short action here in the equipment exchange for a decent price.

BTW, you do know that the 30-06 is gonna be a long action, right?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy is selling the whole gun for 200, I figure it is a good price, although it is a long action, my gunsmith told me it is do able.  

I currently have aRemington and love it, 20 inch barrelled gun is shooting 1/2 MOA.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So when are they banning sniper rifles in Cali?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top