Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 8:38:41 AM EDT
So I live in Utah and am a resident here. My parents live in Wyoming, where Glocks are freaking avaliable. I am 21 years of age. To avoid a transfer fee would it be legal for them to "sign" for a glock and then give it to me? I have never really understood the laws behind signing for someone else. Like when I was 14 and got my hunting rifle, the FFL guy new exactly what it was for because he fit the scope for me and everything. I need some input.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
ahh, perfect opertunity to whip out my atf firearm guide book.

Normally purchasing for or transfering to a family member is not considered straw purchases.  And are therefore legal.

On the other hand you reside in a different state so this would be illegal for a handgun.

But if they were buying it as a gift it would be legal.  i.e. they were paying for it.

Tricky ground.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It is illegal for an unlicensed individual to transfer any firearm of any type to another unlicensed individual who is a resident of another state.  The only exception is for firearms that are bequests from an estate.

(Edited to add unlicensed, meaning non FFL holder)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top