Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 3:56:33 PM EDT
I live in Michigan which does not allow Short Barreled Rifles.  I am thinking of building an AOW.  An AR15 pistol with an 11.5 inch barrel and no stock. It will have a forward pistol grip.  What configuration would you recommend?  I am hoping to hear from people with experience with AR pistols and AOW's.  Sights, Forearms, buffers, etc.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
i do not think michigan will even allow a aow, and if you build a pistol, it cannot have any type of handguard, or shroud around the barrel, the weight also has to be kept under 50 oz or so, you would need to buy a preban ar type pistol, and then modify it to fit your needs
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes AOW's are allowed in Michigan.  So are C&R submachineguns, I know because I have one.  The Assault weapons ban does not cover AOWs.  That is why I am going to add a front grip.  That way I can do anything except add a stock.  Handguards, pistol grips, detach mags, flash-hiders, even a bayonet lug(not that I would need one).  The only things that are specifically banned in Michigan are machineguns that are not C&R, Short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns.  Oh and Michigan measures rifles with the stock folded so it must be over 26 inches when folded.  That is why there are 18 inch barrels for Uzi carbines out there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
it is 30" not 26" in michigan!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is between 26 and 30 inches it must be registered as a pistol.  If it is 30 or over it is a rifle and if it is under 26 inches folded it is a short barreled rifle in Michigan.  The 18 inch Uzi barrel makes the Uzi Carbine 26 inches when folded. It must be registered as a pistol even with this barrel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
AOW=Any Other Weapon.

It can not be a rifle.  
It can not be a pistol.  

To make an AR15 based AOW you need:
To buy your lower.
Take the serial number and use it for the FBI background check and the BATF tax.
Get you HMFIC law enforcement officer to sign off on it.
Wait for your "permision slip" to come back ok'ed from the FBI / BATF

Build that sucker up.  Can not have a shoulder stock (folder, telestock) or a forward hand hold / enclosed (shrouded) barrel.
You can have a forward grip on it.

There is no weight restriction for it.

You can have a flash hider and a bayo lug.

Go to the legal section and ask or just search it.

Dave G. knows.....

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok this has really gotten off topic here.  What I am asking is for recommendations for configuration of my soon to be AOW.  Barrel length, sights, etc.  I know they are legal for me to own here.  USNJoe clarified to the others what I was saying.  There are only two restrictions to an AOW, No full auto and no buttstock.  What configurations have any of you guys built as AOW or pistol that worked well?  I am thinking of both a 5.56 and 9mm upper.  The 9mm Upper would be Olympic style as I have tons of Sten mags already and I recently picked up the Socom mfg, sten well adapter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The Armalite .223 11.5" flattop LEO config works well.  Functions perfectly even with slightly reduced loads of 20 grains 4198.  Muzzle flash is visible for about a foot radius in bright daylight even with the above load of relatively faster-burning powder and the birdcage flash suppressor.  Sound is on a par with a loud 30-06.  I'd avoid shorter barrel lengths than that with .223 unless there was a specific reason.  Then again, if you had no butt or foregrip I wouldn't want to go to a longer barrel either.  A red dot or very low magnification scope with illuminated reticle would seem to be in keeping with the spirit of a small, handy, short barrel AR.  Personally I prefer a collapsing stock even on a pistol length barrel - dunno about legality in your area - that's likely an SBR not an AOW.  Oh, and an inexpensive light & laser would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AOW=Any Other Weapon.

Can not have a shoulder stock (folder, telestock) or a forward hand hold / enclosed (shrouded) barrel.

Cannot have a shrouded barrel???

Please share with us where you find this?

mark
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If a flash supp. can be put on a AOW how bout a can?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If a flash supp. can be put on a AOW how bout a can?

Yes

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top