Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 12:54:51 PM EDT
I just bought 1000rds of Portuguese 308 FMJ's I thought.  There is about 400rds of softpoint mixed in with the FMJs, is that suppose to happen, or is it just a mix up.  The back of the cartridge on the soft points says F C, 308WIN while the FMJs say NA  F, 81  TO.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Was it in 200 rnd green battle packs?

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
20rd green boxes with clear shrinkwrap holding them in 200rd packs, 5 of them
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
On the front of the individual boxes it reads:

FAMAE
20 Cartuchos
7.62NATO

The back reads:

LOTE..............
POLVORA  C.Q.L.E.
FECHA SEPT-81
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone mistakenly packaged some Federal softpoints with the Port. surplus.  Depending on how you look at it, this could be a bonus.  The Federal brass is more than likely Boxer primed.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought Portuguese was headstamped FNM with a Nato cross.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it might be a Chilean headstamp.

Might want to inquire in the ammo forum.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to say but you were robbed in those 400 rds.

Portuguese ammo headstamp is "FNM", circled NATO cross, Year-batch.

Unfortunately, given the Port ammo good reputation, there are dealers who are selling it mixed with ammo from other sources. Usually it was with singaporean. In your case, You were really unlucky there. FAMAE is chilean and contrarily with the rifles they make, their ammo is the reference of what you shouldn't buy. The worst of worst. Before you buy portuguese ammos check if the boxes say "DATA" (the Portuguese word for date). "FECHA" is Spanish. FNM sometimes may come with the INDEP brand (it's the holding company of FNM).

Here are pics taken by a guy who bought a 1,000 rds wooden crate of portuguese FNM ammo from AIM. Yours should look like this (some crates are painted in olive drab):

http://www.millenicom.com/~patriot/M1A/ammo/portuges.htm

As to the FNM ammo itself, from what i've been  reading around in boards (falfiles.com, assaultweb.net, combatrifles.com) the general opinion is that this is the best surplus ammo in the market. It's accurate, clean and you get consistent groups with it. Years ago, Soldier of Fortune tested it and said it's the sole mil surplus round equal to match grade. Some even say it's superior to Lake C. match. Many guys say they've fired thousands of rounds with 0% problem.

Some dealers sold out all they had, but AIM still has them:

http://198.63.62.70/acatalog/AIM_Rifle_Ammunition_8.html

cheers
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
So I have 600rds. of Chilean crap.  Is this stuff safe to shoot?  The other 400 rounds do seem to match up to the Federal .308 cases I compared it to at the gunstore the other day though.    
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, why would there be Federal ammo packed in with the Chilean?  Are the Federal rejects?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Also, why would there be Federal ammo packed in with the Chilean?  Are the Federal rejects?

I think the only person who can answer that question is the one who sold it to you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree! My HK91 usually groups 0.8"-1" with 3 shots of this stuff. 4th usually opens up to 1.75", 5th to something like 2.25".

As to the FNM ammo itself, from what i've been reading around in boards (falfiles.com, assaultweb.net, combatrifles.com) the general opinion is that this is the best surplus ammo in the market. It's accurate, clean and you get consistent groups with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This whole deal sounds wrong, I'd even wonder if the Federal brass was reloaded.  FAMAE (Chilean) 7.62 ammo has a bad reputation for case head separation and blowing mags out of rifles over at FALFILES.  Can you return the whole batch and get a refund?

I've been using Hirtenberger with great satisfaction but just recently bought a case of Portugese myself based on all the good reports people have on it.

Here's a pic of Port headstamp ammo: www.falparts.com/images/inv/ap01.jpg

Dan's Sporting Goods is a reputable source for this ammo. www.falparts.com/ammo.asp
His will come in 200 round battle packs, five to the original wood case complete with lead-wire seals intact.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, well I can't return it or b*tch about it to the guy that sold it to me because I bought it at a gunshow.  I guess I will keep my eye out for him at a later one.  Shot some of it this morning in my M1a, shot pretty good--2-2 1/4 MOA ( that is good for surplus ammo, right?)  The stuff in the Federal cases shot just over 1 MOA.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were you, I'd definitely be looking up that vendor at the next show. At least you're getting excellent groups with the Federal loads.  

AIM Surplus may still have cases of FNM 308 for $139.95 delivered.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If it was in clear plastic someone just repacked it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Federal ammo was inside the little green (20rd) boxes that the Chilean ammo was in, then was shrinkwrapped (clear plastic) into 200rd packs
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
If the Federal ammo was good, fresh, quality ammo it would still be packed in the original factory boxes.

The most logical reason to repack the ammo in another manufacturer's box would be the fact that the original boxes were not available. Boxes got wet? Grunged up from rolling around in the trunk? Thrown away (prior to reloading)?

Might be good ammo. Might be reloads. Might be factory, but suffered some abuse.

The Chilean will probably shoot just fine. If you suffer a case failure and blow up your rifle, not so good.

I wouldn't shoot any of that ammo. I've seen enough problems with expensive, quality factory ammo. No way I would take a chance with "the worst of the worst" or even the "Federal in some other box".

I would take the whole kit and kaboodle and hunt the seller down and demand my money back. Period. Find him at the next gun show and get your money back or stand in front of his table all day and cost him business.

If he sold this ammo to anyone else as well as you he has already found out that what is in the boxes is mixed. That is assuming he didn't know it already. Somebody repackaged it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top