Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 5:47:06 AM EDT
Looking for recommendations for a double barrel shotgun ~$500 or under. Considering an over/under for skeet and/or a side by side for another 'fun gun'. I know I could go for something like a Ruger Red Label, but the price is a a bit more than I'd like to spend at this point.

Anyone have any experience with Baikal/EAA, IZH, CZ, Stoeger or Lanber? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is just going to be for another "fun gun", I'd recommend the SxS.  It's got that classic look to it that everyone recognizes.  My coach gun is a blast to shoot.

If you are going to put it through some non-fun use, the OU may be the way to go because of the single sight plane - the only drawback to an SxS.

The single sight plane of an OU might be attractive enough to some to remove the SxS from contention - it all depends on what you might use it for.

Also,  the recoil off of the second barrel on an OU is much less than the first.  A SxS won't give you that.

Course, that's just my opinion, YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at American Arms. They make a wide selection of SxS and O/U shotguns. I have a Silver II lite 12ga. 26in. O/U. It comes with 3in chamber, thick rubber butt pad, screw in chokes(Franchi), Auto ejectors, single select trigger(brass), a laser engraved matte nickel plated receiver and very nice hand checkered walnut stocks with a schnable fore end. They are made in Italy and imported by American Arms of N. Kansas City Mo. Dealer prices average in the $500.00 range. They make .410ga. to 10 ga.. Mine is a great upland bird gun and I intend to get a SxS. I refuse to spend big bucks on a field gun. These are very nice and economical.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're gonna have fun with it and want to keep the price reasonable look in your local classifieds or at a gunshow.  This time of year's good as folks unload toys at tax time.  Remember any price in the newspaper is NEGOTIABLE.  Usually VERY negotiable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also,  the recoil off of the second barrel on an OU is much less than the first.  A SxS won't give you that.

quote]

Me no understand. Educate me pleez.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd recommend an O/U w/ single trigger, selectable barrel, ejectors, choke tubes, etc from a reputable manufacture. BTW, you might consider adding Beretta to your list. Two years ago I purchased the entry level 686 for $499 (NIB).  Last month, a friend picked up a similar used model for $600 at a gun show.  
ZT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Last year I bought a Miroku for $300 at the local show.  These are the guys who make the Citori for Browning so I think they know what they are doing.  Unlike zutrooper I rarely see true deals on Brownings and Berettas, but you can come up with good deals on lesser-known stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Another reccomendation for American Arms.  Great gun for the value.  I have a O/U that I just love, great pointability, sleek lines, not too bad fit and finish for a cheap O/U.  

I highly reccomend O/U for hunting/skeet/etc, SxS for a short barrelled only.  Hunting with a long barreled SxS is like looking down a 2x4.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on what you want to do with the gun.

For home defense with shot or buck, a SXS gives you a wider pattern.

However, for sporting clays or trap-shooting, an O/U is a easier to swing and easier to aim.  Also, it's easier to use slugs, as your point-of-aim is along the barrels, as opposed to between the barrels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Me no understand. Educate me pleez.

Sorry.  I forgot a very important word: perceive.  I (and others I've spoken with, and articles I've read) find that the kick on the lower barrel of an OU feels lighter than the top - again, probably due to it's lower position.

My original statement was a bit misleading - it wouldn't make much sense that the recoil on the lower barrel would actually be quantitatively less.

A SxS, however, does not offer this perception.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Depends on what you want to do with the gun.

For home defense with shot or buck, a SXS gives you a wider pattern.

However, for sporting clays or trap-shooting, an O/U is a easier to swing and easier to aim.  Also, it's easier to use slugs, as your point-of-aim is along the barrels, as opposed to between the barrels.

I would think that the pattern is a direct funtion of the amount of choke, not whether the shotgun is s/s or o/u. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The single sight plane comment was enlightening.
I don't have one or the other of these types of shotguns, but, that point makes my mind up.
I like Beretta, so, the problem is solved for me (someday, down the road, when I'm off "restriction", and I have the money, and I'm inclined to get one...)

The things we learn here!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Baikal IZH 43 SxS with 26" barrels, adjustable chokes and a single trigger.  I picked it up for about $350.  You can get basically the same gun with double triggers and fixed chokes for about $100 less.

The shotgun is solid and clunky.  It was a bear to open when new but is getting easier.  The wood stock is actually quite nice but the metal and engraving are not the most attractive.  It does seem very Russian.

That said, the gun is a blast to shoot.  I just use it for informal clay shooting but it swings nicely and is just a lot of fun.  Plus I like the classic lines of a double.  Had a couple times where the trigger would not switch to the next barrel.  Not sure why, the selector is on the trigger so I may have bumped it during recoil.  

All in all a great gun for the price.  Sure, I would like a nice double but the prices are about four times what I want to spend.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
A second vote for the Baikal.
(Sold be EAA, I think.)
I have  a side-by-side, with removable chokes, and single selectable trigger.
I use it for trap and bird hunting.
Good looking, and I like the way it balances and swings.

I didn't want to spend a lot, in case I didn't really get into shotgunning.
My first choice was an inexpensive o/u.
(Stoeger? maybe. It was made in South America.)
It swung like a large lead pipe.
I traded it on the Baikal.
I much prefer the looks and feel of the side by side.

You may be able to get a decent used O/U in your price range, but I didn't care for the budget priced ones, myself.
Go to a gunshow, or gunshop where you can heft both types.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the stack barrel!  I've got an EAA Baikal IZH 27 and it's fit, function, and finish are exceptional for a $300 shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top