Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 9:37:52 PM EDT
Hey guys...
   Need the undoubted AR15.comers advice on a gun purchase.... Heres the deal...

I live in in WI, and am 19 years old, almost 20. This means I won't be able to purchase a handgun from a dealer for 1+ year. The only way I am able to purchase one, is through an in state private sale. I came across this by accident...

Ruger P85 MKII(9mm) Will sell it with three 15 round mags, black basketweave holster, double mag carrier, basketweave duty belt, speed loader, original plastic case and manual, and will throw in 4 boxes of ammo... Guy wants 350.00...

Is this a decent price? Do you think it would suit me for my first handun?  Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Excuse me but doesn't that violate some state law ? If you can't buy from a dealer you shouldn't be able to buy from a private party either . If the laws are similiar to the ones here you both may be commiting a felony , I would check on it before purchasing . As for the price , as long as the weapon is in excellent condition I would consider it a decent price considering all that he's throwing in . But do check on the local laws FIRST !
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the same gun here in Phoenix at a gun show on a drivers license look only buy for $425.00 at the "Crosshairs of the West". Those sales run about 25-50% higher than actual value because its cash and walk off.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
OK... the sale is not legal.  I can't say that I didn't own handguns before I was 21, but you should be aware of your situation.

I had a P85 and I really wasn't impressed...  Unless it is really what you want instead of what you just ran across, I would pass. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Jared...

Do yourself a favor, and stay away from the Ruger pistols...
I know too many guys that have had feeding and reliablity problems with them...
Ruger makes great revolvers, but I'm not impressed with the pistols yet...

If you want to get a good 9mm, buy yourself a Glock or a Beretta...

I just bought 2 Glocks this week...
A Glock 17, a 34, and 8 hi-cap mags for them...
Already got 500+ rounds through them without any trouble at all...
Glock is now my handgun of choice...

I have a few Berettas that I also like to shoot...Just too heavy to carry concealed comfortably...

The Glock seems to be a good combination of high-power and low-weight...

Don't break any laws trying to aquire a handgun at 19...
Remember, there is no law against your Mom or Dad buying a handgun, and "allowing" you to shoot it...
'ketch my drift ?

You're already WAY ahead of the game with that sweet Bushy you have...
I didn't get my 1st AR 'till I was 32 yrs old...

Pop any 'yotes with it yet ???

Did you think about maybe getting an AK47 or a FAL yet ???
They are also very cool guns to own
They could keep you busy 'till you're 21...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
We're looking for a few good handgunners...lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The 21 age limit only applies to Federal Firearms dealers. Since they are subject to abide by the laws they cannot sell to someone under 21.
However, most states do not have a restriction, even NJ, and therefore the sale is legal as long as file any forms required by the state.
Now to the Ruger - NO.
Ruger revolvers are great but I have seen far too many Ruger pistols with problems.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 89DDC, the stainless decocker version.
It always goes bang til the mag is empty.
It had some accuarcy problems, but a trip back to ruger solved it.
This gun is a real clunker, big, and each shot is a feeling like "ker-clunk".
Real big, no CCW possible.
I would try to get him down in price if you just have to have it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some people have a tough time with the transition from a double action first pull to a single action second shot so Glocks or 1911s are better choices, some people don't have a problem with that. See if you can mooch some trigger time on a glock, beretta and 1911 before you make a decision.

Regarding the problem from going to a single-action pull from a double-action-- just leave the hammer back like the 1911 (which the Glock does internally)! The HK has a hammer too.... its not just Rugers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a P-89DC no problem good gun but heavy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]
First of all, To you guys saying its not leagal. It is! How dumb do you think I am? Sure, I'll go ahead and post on a public forum about trying to get a handgun illegally. It IS NOT ILLEGAL! Sheesh, I just wanted to know about the Ruger, Did I ask if it was illegal? I know the laws! I'm not trying to flame anyone, but if you don't know the laws, maybe you shouldn't comment on them... Now that I have that out of my system.

As for the rest of you guys, Thanks for the information about the Ruger. Seems like I'll probably have to pass on this one. I guess that there are much better options out there. As far as my parents purchasing a handgun for me as a gift, even with my money, I don't know if that would fly. I'll have to talk to them and find out...

Art,
  Thanks for your comments, I know I can trust your advice, and your right, I am farther ahead than I thought I would be. Glad I stumbled over the deal you were offering. I put another 300 rounds through it yesterday. Another guy at the range came up to me, and we started talking about AR's. He had a brand new Oly that wasn't extracting. (I think the chamber is tight) He asked me what I payed for mine, and he just about fell over when I told him. :) I am extremely happy with it, and don't think I forgot about your last check, Its kind of been hectic around here. I plan on mailing it out Tommorow, or Tuesday. Thanks for understanding.

Incidentally, I shot my first center fire handgun at the range yesterday. It was a 45/70! It was pretty sweet. Its kind of sad though, as I realized I am going to be broke for most of my adult life as the result of buying gun's.

The whole reason this came about, is because I have about a 800 dollar bonus coming from work. Any suggestions on what I should buy? I currently own a Bushy 20" AR15 A2, a customized 10/22, a RRA lower waiting for a chrome M4 upper if they ever get there act together, a Browning Gold Hunter Auto, a single shot .410 (dads), a old mossberg pump (dads), and an old Winchester 192 or something .22 (dads) I think that about covers it.
  Maybe I should get a 870, or a Mauser to customize, or a LTR (kind of leary lately), who knows? One thing I do know, Too many wants, and not enough money, and this is just one of my hobbies...

Wow, This really turned into an off topic Ramble, but oh well.

Thanks guys!

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The 21 age limit thing just applies to buying a hand gun. I'm 19 and I own a S&W .357 revolver, it's legal for like a family memeber to purchase it then give it to you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Save the $800 bonus and apply it towards a new HK handgun in the future...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My buddy has the Ruger P85 MkII.
As long as he feeds it full power 9mm ammo, it runs like a Singer sewing machine.
He loves it.
It's accurate and reliable with the full boogy ammo.
He put a Hogue fingergroove grip on it and it really improved the feel of the pistol.
If it's your first pistol and it's a legal transaction, it's not a bad choice.
I prefer Beretta.

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I've been lucky. I won 2 Rugers and both have been entirely without problems.

1)Ruger P89 - Groups 4-5"(not great) but I've put 750-1000 rds through it with only one malfunction and that was due to ammo.

2)Mini-14 - shoots great, no problems. Most of you would get pissed if I told you how small my groups are. The only USA mags I have are for this rifle and I've not had one problem. I wouldn't buy them for anything else, though.

I think the price is pretty damn fair on the Ruger but understand its limitations. Every gun has those, however.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
that transfer is legal in most states. not iowa though
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
$800 will get you another nice AR and a case of ammo...

-OR a few others to consider:

AK-47 (Learn to bumpfire this)

FAL

Remington 700 .308 "sniper rifle"

Any Glock

Beretta 92/96

Springfield "loaded" 1911

List goes on and on...

I'm sure you'll stumble onto a decent gun for under $800...
Just be sure to leave a few bux for accessories, ammo, and mags...

Check prices on these items before you buy a gun...

I loved my Mini-14, but $65+ per mag really sucked...

AK's and FAL's are dirt cheap to feed & maintain...
Mags for them both are under $10...

Also, there's nothing closer to full auto fire, than bumpfiring a 100 round drum through an AK...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you should buy it!
I have a Ruger P85 MkII with about 7000rds through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
The Ruger P85 was their first semi-auto design and it had some troubles.  The Mark II may have worked them out.

I had a P90DC in .45ACP, stainless.  Great gun, but bulky.  Accurate, reliable, and it had a fairly smooth double action trigger pull.  THe single action pull was a bit creepy and not terribly crisp.  I practiced in DA a lot, because frankly, that first shot is the one that counts the most.

All that said, I much prefer the SIG Sauer P220 I carry now.  Still a big pistol, but a bit more accurate than the Ruger, a bit svelter and a lot better single action trigger.

I got it used for about 400.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top