Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 11:29:05 AM EDT
I have been giving some thought to picking up a Remington 700 PSS in .308. All I can find on Remington's website is the 700P and 700LTR. Is the 700PSS still being made? I have a Remington 700 Sendero SS. It has a 26" stainless fluted barrel. It also has a full-length aluminum bedding block and factory H.S Precision stock. I am wondering what the differences are between the 700 Sendero SF and the 700 PSS. I know that the PSS has a 26" barrel, matte finish, and, I suspect, an H.S. Precision stock. Can someone explain and post pics? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to send mine back because the chamber is so badly gouged. Came like that from the factory.

www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at that same webpage earlier, but cannot tell much from the picture. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The 26" barrel is not fluted, the 20" is. Mine shoots super accurate. The problems I am having with mine lead me to believe that Remington has poor quality control.
I don't think there is a diff. between the P and PSS.
How does your 700 shoot?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]

How does your 700 shoot?

I couldn't tell you, as it has never been fired. It is chambered in .25-06. I traded a Remington 700 BDL SS/DM in .25-06 for it. Now I can tell you that the model I traded in shot great. I never missed a fox or coyote with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington 700P

Remington 700 Sendero

What are the differences between the two? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Remington 700P

Remington 700 Sendero

The 700 P is a short-action rifle and has the HS Precision stock.

The 700 Sendero is a long-action rifle and does not have the HS Precision stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Remington 700P

Remington 700 Sendero

The 700 P is a short-action rifle and has the HS Precision stock.

The 700 Sendero is a long-action rifle and [does not have] the HS Precision stock.

The Sendero HAS A HS Stock.  The Tactical stock(top) has dual sling studs for a bipod and sling.  Other than that the stock differences are cosmetic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I knew that the Sendero had an H.S. Precision stock, but was unsure as to what the PSS had. Any more info? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that the closer cousins are the 700P and the 700 Varmint.  It may qualify as cosmetic, but the stock foreend on the 700P is slightly broader.  

Sendero vs. Varmint from Remington

Is the sendero really green?  I know that the varmint is black (w/ some white), and that there is a 40 that is green, but have never seen one of those green senderos.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, it is all so clear to me now. Both have H.S. Precision stocks, only with slightly different forearms. The actions and bedding blocks are identical.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Is the sendero really green? I know that the varmint is black (w/ some white), and that there is a 40 that is green, but have never seen one of those green senderos.

My Sendero SF has a black stock with the white "cobweb"-looking swirls.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to a Fun Show or somewhere to handle the stock before you buy.  If it isn't comfortable you probably won't shoot it well.  

btw- the Police model has a beaver tail fore end and a more pronounced palm swell than the Sendero stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The major difference, besides the action length, is the wider forend, as mentioned, and the finish of the 700 PSS being parkerized instead of matte blued.
The Remington LE site has an explanation for this:
Q:  What is the difference between the metal finish on the sporting goods guns and police guns?

A:  A standard "blue" finish is offered in both lines, however, the "matte" finish on the sporting goods guns is a bead blast bluing. The "matte" finish on the police guns is a parkerization process. Parkerization is 60% more durable than bead blast bluing.

AND---

1) The "P" beside the model Model 870P, Model 11-87P or Model 700P stands for "parkerized" not "police". While there are no blued finish versions of Model 11-87P or Model 700P models, there are still several Model 870P models that utilize blued finishes.

If you go to the LE site and click on HOME and GREG FOSTER"S LE TIPS and also the FAQ under SUPPORT, you'll find these answers.
www.remingtonle.com/

Also note that the 700 "P" stands for PARKERIZED, NOT "POLICE"...

Maybe you can trade the 700 Sendero SSF for a 700 PSS.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Is the sendero really green? I know that the varmint is black (w/ some white), and that there is a 40 that is green, but have never seen one of those green senderos.

My Sendero SF has a black stock with the white "cobweb"-looking swirls.

Yeah, M4, that's the "w/some white" I was referring to.  We've got the same thing.  

I guess that I'm not sure what's up with some of these other dudes who go off on their tangents about the appearance of rifles when they don't know what they're they're talking about.  Green and silver?  Huh?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Maybe you can trade the 700 Sendero SF for a 700 PSS.

I have been giving this some thought today. I purchased my Sendero SF in .25-06 new and have never even fired it yet. I mounted Leupold two-piece bases and rings and a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44AO scope, but just haven't gotten around to using it. I would post a photo, but have been having trouble with my photo host as of late.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Send it to me.  I'll host it for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Hello,
Here's a pic of my Pss & Ltr

TargetShooter2

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
M4, aside from what others have already stated about parkerized, wider forestock, dual swivel studs, and palm swell - I thought I would make the following comment:

Most folks will tell you to save the cash and not buy the P. All things considered this is probably the smartest thing to do.

However, one thing that I can say is that the palm swell is NICE. Some hate it - I like it.

Whatever you get - take the time to break in right.

Good luck

ps: my understanding is that Remmy dropped the PSS moniker for pc reasons.

pss: Remmy has reportedly had some q/c issues. I received mine a few weeks ago. Straight as an arrow. 100% correct.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I guess that I'm not sure what's up with some of these other dudes who go off on their tangents about the appearance of rifles when they don't know what they're they're talking about.  Green and silver?  Huh?

If you see the photo on the Remington site, the stock on the Sendero does indeed have a green hue to it.
Might just be the lighting or something, but, I see it and saved the picture because of the color variation.
If I could get the same 'look' on my PSS, I'd do it.
Other photos I've seen of the Sendero have the black with grey spiderweb color.
Personally, I like the greenish hue.  It looks classy and different.
Of course, IMHO, I may not know what I'm talking about...or, some folks might be color blind.  It IS green.  Look again.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you see the photo on the Remington site, the stock on the Sendero does indeed have a green hue to it.
Might just be the lighting or something, but, I see it and saved the picture because of the color variation.
If I could get the same 'look' on my PSS, I'd do it.
Other photos I've seen of the Sendero have the black with grey spiderweb color.
Personally, I like the greenish hue.  It looks classy and different.
Of course, IMHO, I may not know what I'm talking about...or, some folks might be color blind.  It IS green.  Look again.

Thanks, Busmaster007.
I did check out the web site, and you're absolutely right, the Sendero does look green.  On the Remington home page, the .22 also looks green.  They may well be photos of green stocks.  Sorry about flying off the handle like that.  This whole "evil" looking thing is a bit of a hangup for me.  I like black rifles and am annoyed by sarcasm.  Thanks for pointing the photos out.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Wait a minute guys, you forgot about the detachable magazine!
I have allways thought this to be a neat feature of the original PSS.

My PSS has one and from what I have seen at gun shows, Remington has changed thier PSS line to a hinged floor plate.

I think this was a big PC move.  Does the Sendero have a floor plate or mag?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, you may be right, Snaggletooth, there may have been a 700PSS with a detachable mag.  In .308.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got the 700P-DM (.308).  Many people will tell you that there are feeding issues with the detachable mags - personally, I don't know what the problems are, 'cuz I sure haven't had any with my rifle.  The original PSS came with a 24" barrel and had the hinged floorplate.  They then started making them with the 26" barrel and the detachable mag setup.  Now they are being made with the 26" barrel and the hinged floor plate.  All three of these versions come with the HS Precision stock with the thicker palm swell, double front sling swivel studs and thicker forend.  If I were going to get another one I would opt for the original version (24", hinged) for the KISS factor.  However, having said that, I still enjoy shooting the one I already have.

hsld.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Seemingly unrelated issues:

I tried to approximate the 'green' look on my Bell&Carlson Thumbhole Sporter stock for the 700 BDL and it ain't workin'...I'm going to paint the stock Ultra Flat Black and leave it that way.
I love Black Rifles.
I painted my XP-100R in .223 flat black (from grey) to match my new PSS.

My PSS is a BDL in .308.  I purposely went with that to avoid any potential feeding problems (couldn't have that if the SHTF).
My 700 BDL-DM in .338 has not experienced feeding problems (yet, I'm not worried about a failure if "the big bears" are coming to munch on me...).

IMHO, that comment wasn't meant to be a slam on you personally, I really did mean "In My Humble Opinion"...

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Detach Mags: I spoke to one of local police sharp shooters yesterday. He said one of his partners has a DM model and has had some feeding issues. He however has not. As with most anything - I think a few reports of problems get blown into an epedemic of "problems".

One question I have is - What is the difference between ADL and BDL? I know the PSS is BDL, but what is the diff?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
One question I have is - What is the difference between ADL and BDL? I know the PSS is BDL, but what is the diff?

From Remington's website:

The ADL-BDL designations were originally acronyms for A Grade Deluxe and B Grade Deluxe. The deluxe term was once tacked on to the end of the model designation: Model 700 ADL Deluxe and Model 700 BDL Custom Deluxe.

Both models use similar barreled actions, which feature the strongest actions made, exceptionally crisp triggers and 3.0 millisecond lock times. However, the Model 700 BDL is fit with a hinged floor plate or detachable magazine (DM) that allows the shooter to unload ammunition through the bottom of the rifle by opening the floor plate or removing the magazine. The Model 700 ADL uses a blind magazine and can only be unloaded through the top by working the bolt open and closed.

Both models are offered in variety of styles, calibers and options to meet individual needs, preferences, and hunting conditions. The Model 700 ADL is available with wood or synthetic stocks and carbon-steel barreled actions. Also available is a Model 700 ADL Synthetic Youth. The Model 700 BDL is available with American Walnut, synthetic or laminated-hardwood stocks, carbon or stainless-steel barreled actions, and mirror-image left-hand versions in the Model 700 BDL and Model 700 LSS models.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks, guys, for the wealth of info. I may have to break down and trade off my NIB Sendero SF for one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Brouhaha, I may take you up on that later when I get home this afternoon. I am not at my home computer at this moment. It seems like everytime I switch photo hosts, they end up screwing me. I started out with PhotoPoint, then Webshots, and finally WebPhotos. Now it seems that WebPhotos no longer allows "hot-links" from other websites. The search is on again. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanx for the edjamakation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top