Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 6:15:52 AM EDT
If you guy's and gal's had a chance to buy one would you??
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Not wile the CMP still has "real" ones for half the price of the "new" ones.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I do have a "real" Garand this would be #2
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto!

The CMP is the best "unkept" secret out there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Century Arms Garand at Big-5.
Great rifle, have the bayonet, beautiful ballance.

.30-06 is just a bit too expensive for this college student, though.  The SKS is cheaper to feed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
C   M   P    
C   M   P    
C   M   P    
C   M   P    
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just got a Century Arms Garand at Big-5.
Great rifle, have the bayonet, beautiful ballance.

.30-06 is just a bit too expensive for this college student, though.  The SKS is cheaper to feed.

Not to make fun of your purchase, but the Garands @ Big 5 are straight up cheese.
They have some big, fake, gay, fake silver coin looking thing on the stock. Plus, they don't look standard length, but I could be wrong about the latter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not to make fun of your purchase, but the Garands @ Big 5 are straight up cheese.
They have some big, fake, gay, fake silver coin looking thing on the stock. Plus, they don't look standard length, but I could be wrong about the latter.

The M1 you saw at Big 5 was an M1 Carbine.  .30 caliber. They are IAI and do have the stupid emblem in the stock.  Other than that they look pretty nice though.

What's the word on the Century Garands?  They still have the headspacing problem? My buddy's seems to work really well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#10]
O i see.
My bad.

The M1 carbine looks and feels like  rifle I would never want to go war with.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
O i see.
My bad.

Why?
My father and 2 cousins went to war with carbines and they came back okay.  My father still favors his carbine over AR's, AK's, etc. for home defense or in case SHTF.    
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]
if i were to buy a "NEW" garand it would have to be one of the following

1. a nice shiny gold inlayed commerative of some sort.

2. an original new gi garand still in cosomoline (yes they do exist but cost MAJOR coin)

3. a highly tweeked national match rifle

IMO those new springfield armory garands are WAY over priced for what they are.

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
O i see.
My bad.

Why?
My father and 2 cousins went to war with carbines and they came back okay.  My father still favors his carbine over AR's, AK's, etc. for home defense or in case SHTF.    

Because the M14 and Ar-15/M-16 platform does it better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
please tell me what "CMP" is. I want a Garand.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Blaze-Of-Glory,

The CMP is the Civilian MarkSmanship Program. They are the authorized agent to sell surplus military firearms. You must belong to a CMP affiliated club or the Garand Collectors Association to purchase from them. The below link will take you there and explain all:

WWW.ODCMP.COM/
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got the CMP paperwork sitting right here in front of me and would really like a Garand but I'm leery of spending $500 on what could be a piece of junk. What has everyone's experience been?

Scarecrow, Marstar is sold out! Bummer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
You'll get more than $500.00 worth of rifle that's for sure. I've seen 11 of these over the last couple of years including mine and mechanically they are very good rifles. If you want a show piece save your money. These are used military rifles with wood stocks. The cosmetics of the wood will range from pretty good to not so good but salvageable. The metal finishes have ranged from excellent(no noticeable wear) to very good (normal wear from cleaning and storage of 60 year old rifles). Nearly all of them have been rebuilt by Govt. arsenals most more than once. That means that many were put in storage and never fired after the last rebuild. You won't get rust, pitting or worn out parts. You will get dinged and gouged wood some not as much as others.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, Sukebe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.marstar.ca/spec-r2.htm

199$ CAN

I DON'T HEAR YOU!! LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
You might consider the Danish Garands.

I just received 2.  One built late 1945 and looked like it had been built in a hurry (lots of machining marks). Good wood, 50% finish.

The other was a mid 1943 production, essentially no finish and good wood.

You can pay an extra $100 to get all US GI, but you've got no extra guarantee on finish.

I planned on using the $100 I saved to buy a new walnut stock set from Boyds and reparkerizing can be had for around $100 to end up with a good looking semi-auto 30-06 battle rifle that I'm not afraid to ruin it's value by shooting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.marstar.ca/spec-r2.htm

199$ CAN

I DON'T HEAR YOU!! LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!

There's always some guy from a 3rd world country bragging about how cheap stuff is. Things are cheap in 3rd world countries because the people there are poor. You can buy an AK for $25.00 in Afghanistan. Anyone want to live there? Is that 199 real dollars or that nearly worthless Canadian stuff? And don't try to tell anyone that Canada isn't a 3rd world county either. If you go more than 30 miles north of civilization (the U.S. boarder) Canada is one big impoverashed Indian reservation. Sort of like Mexico with snow. Your beer sucks too!

Edited to say that I'm joking.(Maybe half joking)
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh hell, Sukebe, you ain't joking at all. Going into Canada is like going back in time 4 decades. Its amazing how much difference there is crossing an imaginary line. Best thing we could of ever done for Canadians would have been to conquer their damn country. Probably take a couple of weeks.

TAKE CANADA NOW!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I probably paid too much for mine, but it's an original 1945 manufacture..... re-imported.  Yes, yes, watch those reimports..... it works and fuctions fine.

Got an older gent buddy who had some mid 40's to mid 50's Garand ammo.  Now I have about 500+ rounds for it (granted, they're corrosive... means more cleaning.)

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I'll bite.  How much do the new Garands from Springfield cost?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]
A dealer about an hour from me has the only one I've seen and it is priced at $799. It seems this is about what others have also seen.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Can someone tell me if the CMP garands are gone over by a gunsmith before they are shipped?  Can you just run out and shoot it, or do you need to check headspace before you try it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#29]
houston gun show price today $900.00

juslearnin
i don't think so.
these are old work horse guns.

900 is to much for a rifle you can't instantly top off the mag or mount a scope on centerline.  

if i had 900.00 to burn i would now own a new M1.  it looked nice!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know about the quality of the new S.A. Garands?

Av.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone know about the quality of the new S.A. Garands?

Av.

I'm sure they're top-notch.  SA is making them from scratch; all new parts.  And SA doesn't make shitty products, either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me if the CMP garands are gone over by a gunsmith before they are shipped?  Can you just run out and shoot it, or do you need to check headspace before you try it?

I seem to recall that somebody over at www.jouster.com said that they were headspaced before being shipped out.  Even so, it's probably not a bad idea to check the headspace yourself or have your gunsmith do it.
If you're thinking of getting one, don't worry too much, the CMP isn't going to send you a junker.  I didn't have a single complaint about my M1, so I can't speak from experience, but I've heard that they are great to deal with if a problem should arise.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Go the CMP route.
Shoot a highpower match with a loaner if need..or an AR at best.
Doesn't matter what you score.
Join the Garand Collectors Association or your local CMP-Affiliated club....for $20 annually.

Fill out CMP paperwork, get it certified. Add $519..shake, stir, bake at 350 degrees for about 5 weeks...if you pass the NICS check....

CMP Garand will arrive via FEDEX Overnight TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

My Service-Grade was a Fall-1943 Springfield with a matching barrel in a rebuilt stock.

The stocks a WWII Tiger stripe!

The 1943 Springfield Bayonet I found fits it perfectly...It shoots flawlessly with 50 year old surplus...and I bet much more accurately with current-match grade ammo.

Oh yeah, it's all US Made and gunsmithed, and checked out, and safety-fired before it left the CMP.

Springfield Inc. today uses an Australian Lithgow Receiver, mixed USGI parts, and a new stock with a price-tag at almost twice the price.

WHY???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top