Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 12:00:44 AM EDT
I'm trying to choose between one of these as a plinker.  I have a SIG Trailside that is a real tack driver but I wan't something a little more rugged for hiking and stuff.  Both are about the same price, I like the feel of the Browning's grip a little better, but friend's Rugers have all been really acurate, so I'm not sure which to get.  Help?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, the Brownings is better ergonomically. That's what I'd go with.

Ruger 22s are fine plinkers, but I dislike the 22/45's polymer frame...the frame was supposed to feel like a 1911, but it doesn't to me. If I had the choice, I'd actually go with the Mark II (prefer the grip angle), but they're a little more $$.

(Now, as a fellow AR-15.commer, you might prefer the Ruger over the Browning because there is more aftermarket stuff for it)
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Ratters,
I have been going though the same delima.
Last night I purchased the Buck Mark Standard from Hogans in Pleasant Hill.
It cost $269 and was $312.26 out the door.
I don't know where you are located at but they stock several different models.
I was even nicely surprized that they didn't sell me the display model.
I only shop there when I need a specialty item.
Most things can be bought cheaper else where.
Hope this helps.
Andy
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I own both, but if I could keep only one it would be the Buckmark.  My .02
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
22/45.  Mags are cheaper and you will want lots of mags.  Takedown doesn't require a hex wrench, and there are no bolts that will shoot loose when you are using the gun.  Finally, Brownings are prone to mag problems with their expensive mags.  Nice trigger though.  But still, take the Ruger.

The grip angle on the Buckmark is like the Ruger Mark II rather than the 22/45, i.e., it is like a Luger.  I shoot a 1911 all the time, I don't shoot Lugers.  So I'd rather stick with the 1911 grip angle.  If you prefer the Luger grip angle, consider the Ruger Mark II (the non-22/45 pistol).
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally would go with a mark II,in stainless.with a 5 1/2"bull barrel,you won't be sorry...if you go with, Ruger don't get discouraged when reassembling after cleaning.It gets easier...

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Buckmark camper model.It's very basic but for about $211 it will hit whatever I want to shoot at.I'm sure there are better models but for the dollars it's hard to beat.A friend of mine who collects some high dollar firearms and settles for nothing but the best tried out my Buckmark.I could hardly get it away from him once he tried it.That made me feel real confident about my choice.Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Buckmark Camper but sold it for a Ruger Mk II.  The Buckmarks are nice pistols but have aluminum frames and are a bitch to strip and clean (like the Ruger isn't ).  Love the Mk II, though, but don't have a clue about the 22/45.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ratters,
I have been going though the same delima.
Last night I purchased the Buck Mark Standard from Hogans in Pleasant Hill.
It cost $269 and was $312.26 out the door.
I don't know where you are located at but they stock several different models.
I was even nicely surprized that they didn't sell me the display model.
I only shop there when I need a specialty item.
Most things can be bought cheaper else where.
Hope this helps.
Andy

Hey Andy,
That's funny, what brought this up is I was at Hogans yesterday buying a cleaning rod and was looking at the Buckmarks.  I think that may be what I go with as the Rugers are a little more money, I'd like to keep the whole shebang under 300 to fly under the wife's radar.  They will deal with you a bit there if you talk to the manager.  My wife got my Kimber Eclipse there for under a grand, which is real cheap compared to most bay area stores.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the Buckmark........Love the way mine shoots.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The buckmark campers are great, light accurate and very comfortable to shoot and operate. My wife has one as her trail/carry gun. She wrote about it in a post in the Women's forum.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I do like the Buckmarks and the 22/45's, but I wouldn't trade either one for my S&W 22S.  All are fine firearms, but the 22S personally fits my hand better than both the others.  It is a little heavier weighing in at about 42ozs. unloaded, but has great balance.  It also is all stainless, barrel and frame, and goes for around $250.  Also VERY accurate and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd say either one will serve you fine.  I have a buckmark and love it, my buddy has a 22/45 which is great too.  I chose the buckmark because it's not the norm around here and I prefer the trigger and ergonomics.  Both are very accurate due to the fixed barrel, they may just be the most accurate pistol you own.  One afternoon my friends and I were using crickets on a fence for target practice, we took the heads off several.  I have also tried the smith mentioned here and liked it.  Another good choice is the walther, I think it's called he P-22 or something.  I've heard very good things about it.  Also, if you don't have a 10/22 already, that would be another good purchase.  22's are so fun.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Buckmark and it is an excellent pistol.., but mine is a little finicky about ammo.  I have had No problems at all with the remington golden bullet.  That said, I would go with a Ruger if I had to do it over again...  They just seem better built.  The grip is a little better on the buckmark but you can get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I do have a Walther P22 also.  It is by all means a very fun little gun.  Comes with a threaded barrel, some funky metric thread, but Bluegrass Armory makes an adaptor for it that converts it to 1/2 x 28 for $60.  This allows for instant addition of a suppressor with no barrel work.  However as a choice for the original question from Ratters, this is not a good choice.  It is very short, 3.5" or 5" barrel (I have both barrels for mine), and it is extremely light.  Being as light as it is (maybe 20 to 22 ozs.), and as short as it is, it is very comfortable to carry, but very hard to control.  I have put 500 or so rounds through it and still have to put a magazine or two through it every time I shoot it just to get use to it again.  Don't get me wrong though, like any other quality .22 it's a barrel of fun AND accurate once you get use to it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the buckmark i love mine.when i was looking i couldnt decide either. the grip was alot better on the browning and the guy said the ruger mkII was a pain to put back together i dont know. it shoots good and have never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
More opinions.  These people are smarter than y'all, they tend to like the Ruger.  www.rimfirecentral.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ruger2;action=display;num=1017428192
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
my brother and I bought .22's from a mutual friend who had a 22/45 and a buckmark.  Since I didn't care I let my brother chose which he wanted (both sold for $150!) and he took the Buckmark so I took the 22/45.  I love that little gun and have to wrestle it away from the wife, but then I like wrestlin' womenz.

From what I can see they are six of one and half dozen of the other EXCEPT that the Buckmark tends to be a bit more finicky when it comes to ammo.  The 22/45 gobbles up whatever you feed it.  

In short, go with the one YOU like better.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
More opinions.  These people are smarter than y'all, they tend to like the Ruger.  www.rimfirecentral.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ruger2;action=display;num=1017428192

If that was true they'd be here instead of there
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know if either still in production, but the RamLine/Magnum Research 22LR and AMT?? 22 mag with 2 1/2 barrel are nice and light.

One of the older Browning Challenger ??? if you can find a good used one will have the best trigger.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Um.  That is the Ruger forum on the board.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Ruger MK2 5 1/2 Bull barrel. The thing is sweet. Accurate and reliable and inexpensive. I like the feel of the MK2's grip better then my 22/45's.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Go for the Browning.  Quality wise, they're pretty close, the Browning will be a little cheaper, and you have the satisfaction of not giving any money to one of them men responsible for the hicap ban.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 22/45 and it does everything I want it to do. The only problem was the annoying little voice that made me buy a 10/22T to go along beside it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for the MkII over the original choices.
I chose the MK-678G.  
Put on a Hogue rubber fingergroove grip and had a gunsmith drill and tap it for scope mounting.
It is great for plinking, especially with the super hot .22LR ammo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Ratters,
Your right, that Hogan thing was funny.
So did you get one?
I know what you mean about keeping it under the wifes radar.
Mine is still in steath mode.
Give me a holler id you want to go break them in.
Andy
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey Andy,

I haven't picked it up yet.  I ended up buying a Monster Power Conditioner for the home theater setup so now I'm waiting to hear from the tax guy next week about what the damage is. Might try by end of next week hopefully.  I'll let you know about meeting up with shooting.  I went to USI today and don't think I can stomach going back there.  Is there anywhere up by you? How is the Shooting Gallery in Vacaville.  I heard they made you buy their own ammo.  Do they do that with .22 as well.  Oh well, we'll figure something out.  Congrats on the new gun, let me know how it works for ya.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, I got the Camper.  Damn if feels good in the hand.  Good thing I have to wait ten days to pick it up, who knows what havoc I would have caused had I taken it home today?

Andy,  weekends are pretty much shot till late may so lets try then so I can break this thing in.  We can also compare how the two shoot.  Will the Shooting Gallery let you shoot your own .22 ammo or do you have to buy it from them?  If you try yours out, lemme know how it works and also let me know if you see any good deals on mags.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Brownings are better ergonomically, easier to take down & clean, look better & have a better feeling trigger. They're almost always more accurate than the Rugers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]

They're almost always more accurate than the Rugers.

I'm calling BULLSHIT on that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I gotta agree with Jim, I've seen a MKII put all ten shots into one hole at 25yrds about .75 inches wide.  Wasn't me shooting though.  Accuracy wasn't a main concern as I knew both designs to be fairly accurate.  For me it was mostly just the ergonomics felt right.

Jim, believe it or not I am still waiting on that estate sale of the Savages.  Damn the courts move slowly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#32]
The 22/45 is the only one that fits me well. I have the target slab side and it really shoots well with the Remington vipers and yellow jackets. I was a little surprised how good a trigger it has. The Browning and Smith are good also, but does not feel as good to me as the Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to get the IHMSA newsletter. There were an equal number of Ruger and Browning rimfire pistols dominating the production rimfire events, with an occasional T/C Contender sneaking in. That, plus my own experience, makes me call BULLSHIT on BobCole's statement.

The Buckmark versus Ruger debate is kind of like the usual ArmaLite versus Bushmaster argument that tends to occur on this board. Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. I prefer the Rugers myself, all steel, good aftermarket support, and what can you say about a pistol that's been in constant production for 53 years? My biggest complaint about Browning is their customer (or rather, lack of) service. At best, the Browning/Winchester/USRA/FN/GIAT empire SUCKS at customer support.

I have a 5 1/2" bull barrel MKII in stainless steel that's been slightly modified with the addition of a Bowen steel rear sight and a Clark trigger. Shoots better than I can and has been deadly on squirrels. And NO, Ruger rimfires are not hard to strip and reassemble. You have to be smarter than the gun.

Ratters:
I'd been wondering about the outcome of those guns. Let me know if something comes up. Still interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:I'm calling BULLSHIT on that.

Call it whatever makes you feel better. I've repeatedly seen Ruger owners shoot better groups using my Buckmark over their OWN MkI or whatever. Different ammo made no difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not calling it anything except PURE DEE BULLSHIT. The facts speak for themselves. You've only offered one example (of dubious nature), but I've pointed to IHMSA results. In the production class, it's as-issued factory pistols, save for stoned triggers, going head to head. Even steven, my man.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#36]
P.S. That just proves your friends have weak minds open to any suggestion. Not so with IHMSA shooters, that's why there's an even split in the win category between the Browning and Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Got a 22/45. Nice gun. Surprisingly accurate. The only drawback (and it's a minor one) is that while it doesn't take any tools to strip, it's a pain in the butt to put back together.

Can't speak with any authority on your other choices. But I can say that you likely won't be disappointed by the performance of the Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a camper, $209.95, good gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's my Buckmark story:

About 10 years ago, I was challenged to a shoot with a guy armed with "his baby" - a Ruger Government Model .22LR.

I pulled my new Buckmark Plus out of my gun bag, loaded a full mag, and shot a nice 1" group offhand at about 15 yards at point of aim(I think this was the second time I had fired this pistol).

The other guy picked up his Ruger, put it in his gun bag, and left.  Didn't say a word, either.

I don't know what ticked him off more - my group, or the fact that there were 10 little casings in a nice pile about 3 yards to my right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe he was just a bad shot and/or you're full of shit. Doesn't prove much. The only thing that these cute little anecdotes have proved thus far is some guys can shoot and some can't, a lot, and I mean a LOT of posters are just flat full of shit, and everybody has their own personal preferences. Big deal. Unless BobCole or AndyTN have access to a machine rest, their stories don't prove anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top