Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2002 8:51:11 PM EDT
I'm working on a custom project. The Rifle is an preban H&K that is going to be cut up and customized a bit.(YES, It will be kept legal) I am looking for feed back on Flashhiders. Is the M60 style better than the standard HK91? Is there any merit to the M14/M1A hider over both. Is there a Phantom in 30cal? (that would be cool)
Not really looking for muzzle breaks or compensators. I know that a suppressor is the best flashhider but I am not in one of the 35 suppressor legal states. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JerrY
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the other flash suppressors...but
The Marine m14's had troubles early on in that they sometimes were struck by the round...either by faulty assembly or be coming loose...M1A match suppressors are sometimes bored larger than the standard...
What or rather how do you want to configure the rifle...carbine...tactical..feild rifle.
I'm leaving out sniper b/c you don't want a hider on a sniping rifle
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I got to shoot a full auto M14 in the dark once, the flash was pretty much non-existent
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I installed a DTA MIL brake on my HK91 due to muzzle rise and weapon movement. I have the MG receiver bipod so sand bags are not my preference. With the DTA brake I can now get off second shots almost immediately when shooting out to 500 yds +. Before it used to take me a few seconds to re-aquire my target. The DTA brake is hard to find but well worth the money and it does need to be indexed properly for maximum results.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ooohhhh... What are you DOING to that poor HK?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I am planning at this stage to Carbine it somewhat. Normally I would not touch it, pre89 means not having the luxury of mistake. Unfortunately I got the rifle in Jan. from Mikie G and it turned out to have major damage. "This rifle is unsafe to shoot"-HK service dept.
I figured the barrel should also be replaced  due to minor pitting through out. So if I gotta replace the barrel, and trunion(has to be cut off) which is really bad, why not trick the gun out a bit.
Maybe 17in barrel,M60 hider? The rifle is still at H&K but when it gets back It has to have a lot work done.

JerrY
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not just SBR it into a HK51 if you're gonna do all that work?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The reason I'm not going to pull a SBR/51 conversion, is because with the 17in barrel, the sight radius is the same, the cocking tube doesn't have to be modified and the ballistics drop severely past the 16in mark. Plus with the 17in- I can still keep the standard A2 handguard without having to transition to an SP89 handguard. Not to mention that getting involved in ATF paper work +$200, I'll leave that alone till I get a real class 3 firearm.(In another state of course)

JerrY
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am planning at this stage to Carbine it somewhat. Normally I would not touch it, pre89 means not having the luxury of mistake. Unfortunately I got the rifle in Jan. from Mikie G and it turned out to have major damage. "This rifle is unsafe to shoot"-HK service dept.
I figured the barrel should also be replaced  due to minor pitting through out. So if I gotta replace the barrel, and trunion(has to be cut off) which is really bad, why not trick the gun out a bit.
Maybe 17in barrel,M60 hider? The rifle is still at H&K but when it gets back It has to have a lot work done.

JerrY

Holy shit!  Is Mikie G's going to do anything to make it right?  I think at least a partial refund would be in order.

One thing you might look at, when you get done, is a refinish by Birdsong.  Here's my 91 -

This is the 2-tone NATO Green and black Black-T finish.  It covers everything, external and internal, including springs.  Good way to preserve a preban that isn't a safe queen.  The rear sight is the Ashley Outdoors ghost ring in combination with the vertical-line type Trijicon front sight.  Very quick.  I also have the Ergo Grip Navy pistol grip, the Tac-Latch mag release and a Williams trigger job.  As well, I added an MSG90 buffer and an HK21 buttpad.  Makes it very nice to shoot.  The green furniture was from aa-ok.com and Terry Dyer cut the FAL-style slots in my handguard.

QS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top