Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 8:26:00 PM EDT
i went to cruffler.com and printed the application and i have 2 questions:
1.  do you send the copy to the CLEO the same time as the ATF or after you get your license?
2.  on the part that says "position and SSN"  what do they mean by position?  my occupation?
thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
send it the same time as the batf one. no idea about position,i'm wondering the same myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I just put "collector" on my application and it went through fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just put "collector" on my application and it went through fine.

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
in other C&R cluster bleep news:

my friend finally received his MP40 and couldn't do crap with it because apparently his city police chief has to sign off on it for approval. well, he wouldn't and wasn't about to.

my friend then had to then hire a lawyer to get this final step, being the chief's signature, completed.

after all said and done from start to finish with this whole deal; he ended up paying $6000.00 +

but good for him, he's got a kick ass firearm!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Send the CLEO copy at the same time or even the day before so you can honestly affirm on the ATF copy that you have done so. As far as "position" line I don't remember but I think that comes into play if you were obtaining the C&R FFL as part of a business requirement(museum curator for example)and the business entity actually owned the firearms. This would NOT be in violation of the "business of dealing in firearms" clause. I think I just put "collector" as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I called the ATF on the "Position" when filling out mine. They said if you were an individual obtaining for collecting then put "collector".

Just got mine this week, 5 weeks from sent to received... now to buy something! whoohooo!
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
anyone have any experience with getting a C&R in NY state? Specifically in Erie County.
and would the fact that my pistol permit was issued in a different county affect things?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sharky,

Getting a C&R FFL in NY state shouldn't be any different than any other state.  It's a federal license.  I walked my uncle in northern CA through the process and he had no troubles.

Your pistol permit shouldn't have any bearing on getting the license.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
in other C&R cluster bleep news:

my friend finally received his MP40 and couldn't do crap with it because apparently his city police chief has to sign off on it for approval. well, he wouldn't and wasn't about to.

why didnt he just go to the other CLEOS
ie sherriff, judge etc.

thats what my friend did in tucson went to the sherriff since the police chief is known to not sign squat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I take it, then, that "arms dealer" would be a no-no?
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks
Now I just have to find out if either the chief of police for my town or the county sheriff are pro-gun or not

Quoted:
Sharky,

Getting a C&R FFL in NY state shouldn't be any different than any other state.  It's a federal license.  I walked my uncle in northern CA through the process and he had no troubles.

Your pistol permit shouldn't have any bearing on getting the license.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Sharky,

The notification that needs to be sent to the chief of police is just that - simply notification.  They do not give their approval, nor do I believe could their disapproval prevent you from getting issued your C&R.

The situation cyrax44 was refering to was unique because the gun was a machine gun, the transfer of which does need CLEO sign off, whether or not it is C&R.  The difference is that I believe (don't quote me on this, as I have never been fortunate enough to own a machine gun yet) a C&R licensee can get a C&R machine gun shipped directly from out of state upon approval of their Form 4.  Otherwise, you'd typically need to get it transferred to a class III dealer within your state.  

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Inferno, You send or drop off your CLEO copy about the time you mail the ATF copy.  "Position" is left blank unless you're applying as a company or museum.

Sharky, it doesn't matter if they're pro-gun or not.  CLEO copy is an advisory...CLEO has no ability to approve or bounce the application.

Rocko is right-on with the NFA answer, but that's a separate form the CLEO has to sign, not a C&R application.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess what slightly confused me was the part where it says "..should you have any information that may disqualify the person..."
wanted to make sure an anti couldn't screw things up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top