Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 7:21:35 PM EDT
What is the difference between the SA58 and the STG58?  

Also I saw a folding stock set and para lower from Federal Arms Corp for $499.00 Will any preban FAL upper reciever fit on that para lower with the folding stock? Or does it take a special upper receiver?

How does the bolt work in the para style FAL without the rat tail and buffer tube?

I have a DSA SA58 built by ARS and it is a great rifle but I don't know much about them.

Can abyone help me with these questions?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Head on over to www.FALFILES.com and browse the message board.  I've been spending alot of time over there lately as I am building my first FAL.  Everyone is really helpful over there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont quote me on this, but I think the STG 58 is the full auto FAL variant used formerly by the Austrian Army ( STurmGewehr 58) (Assaultrifle model 1958) and the SA 58 is a Semi-auto built on De-milled Austrian Army parts by a manufacturer that I don't remember right now.

The folks at www.fnfal.com message boards are quite helpful, and have far more info and experience with FAL's than I do.

I just own and shoot one.

Just a W.A.G. on the Para model, my guess is that they would reverse the spring system and move it above the bolt carrier using a captive spring.

HTH

Ed
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If I'm not mistaken the SA58 is an all american made FAL  by  DSA and is brand new,the STG58 is made of used styer parts and american parts .DSA sells a stg58 built on there reciever.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
DSA's SA58 line contains more US parts than the STG-58 line.  SA58's contain these US made parts:

1. Badger premium barrel
2. Alloy lower receiver
3. Alloy dust cover
4. Gas piston
5. Buttstock
6. Pistol grip
7. Cocking handle
8. Upper receiver
9. Hammer
10. Trigger
11. Sear

On certain models, US made synthetic handguards are installed. Basically, the only imported (Steyr) parts are the bolt, carrier, gas plug, and small assorted parts. The STG-58 line contains less US parts. It's made using DSA's stockpile of surplus but minty Steyr parts such as the barrel, steel lower receiver, and dust cover. Besides the upper receiver and the trigger group, it contains the required minimum of US parts.

For converting a fixed stocked pre-ban to a folder, you would need three things in addition to the folding stock assembly itself.

1. You would need a para dustcover which contains the recoil spring.

2. You would need a para bolt carrier designed to work with the dustcover recoil spring arrangement.

3. You would need an upper receiver that has been relieved for the larger dustcover (the front of a para dustcover is larger than standard ones).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top