Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 12:04:09 PM EDT
This ad is currently running in my local paper:

Preban Romanian ak47 w/3 30rd double stack mags.  Sell $400.

I already own 1 Oly ar15, a Russian sks.
Do I need this ak47?
Is this a good deal?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I don't believe there are any romanian pre-bans.  Early on when they got the whole "10 imported parts" thing settled out, they started to advertise the Egyption MAADIs and SAR's as having "pre-ban features" as swapping out enough parts for US made ones allowed them to dump the thumbhole stock and install a pistol grip.   This is probably where the seller may be confused as to its preban status.  Either than, or he is trying to rip someone off, but if that was the case, they'd likely be asking around $700-800, which is about where the real prebans start.

That being said...  the romanian guns are around $300 dealer cost right now - gunshow around here 2 weeks ago had htem for $319.  30round steel mags could be had brand new for $5/ea until recently when that supplier ran out.  As you can see, the asking price is sort of high, but if the gun is NIB or LNIB it may be worth it for the private sale (assuming this would be a private sale and such is legal in your state).   The romanians aren't pretty, but they work.  Common problems are canted front sight bases and gas blocks.

So... for a private sale it isn't too bad, but it certainly isn't a deal.  You probably wouldn't get it for much cheaper from a stocking dealer, once you include NICS fee and tax, but would likely be able to do better if your dealer is willing to do a transfer for a decent price or at a gunshow.  Downside of donig a transfer is that you won't get to examine it first, and both the transfer and gunshow route would be "on the books", so to speak - depending on how paranoid you are a private transfer may appeal to you.  This almost certainly isn't a pre-89 import ban gun, which means you can't have the threaded muzzle, bayo lug, folding stock, etc.

Rocko
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the russians rechambered to 5.45x39 in 1974 for a very good reason. try one out and see why for yourself.

It was their best attempt at immitating the 5.56NATO. Not a bad try, but no cigar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top