Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 4:44:28 PM EDT
I have a black powder flintlock pistol that my dad built in the 1960s from a kit and it is .50 cal.  We want to shoot it but don't know if it is safe anymore because it is kinda rusty and we don't know how much powder to put in it.  Can anyone tell me what to look fo to determin if it is safe and how much powder to use?  If it matters, he said he only shot about 10 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How rusted?  If it is just surface rust I wouldn't worry much.  I have never fired them, but I have some and they are built pretty well (stout).  I seem to remember instructions for shooting them online.  Maybe the CVA site?  I'll look around.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
www.cva.com/faq.htm#27

27. If I use more powder in my gun, will I get better accuracy?

Answer: No. The maximum recommended charge for a standard .50 caliber CVA rifle is 100 grains of loose powder (FFG or equivalent). .50 caliber CVA magnum bolt action rifles can safely handle a charge of three (3) 50 grain Pyrodex® Pellets. The maximum recommended load for a .54 caliber CVA rifle is 120 grains of loose powder or Pyrodex Pellets. Exceeding the recommended powder charges is extremely dangerous and will void the manufacturer’s warranty. (index)

28. How do I determine the best powder charge/projectile combination for my gun?

Answer: The best way to determine the most accurate load for a particular gun is to pick a projectile and start with a minimum powder charge – 60 grains FFG for .50 cal., 70 grains FFG for .54 cal. Shoot several groups of three shots, recording the results on paper. Increase the powder charge by five (5) grains and repeat the shots, again recording the findings. Repeat this process until the maximum recommended load is reached – 100 grains FFG for .50 cal.(150 grains if "Magnum"), 120 grains FFG for .54 cal. The optimum load using this particular projectile is the one that produced the most consistent three-shot groups. Because projectile size, type, and weight can affect accuracy, it is best to repeat the process from the beginning to determine the optimum load for different projectiles. The CVA Staff has found the CVA PowerBelt Bullet to be the top performing projectile in our In-Line rifles. Our standard charge is 100 grains of Pyrodex Pellets. Click here to download a copy of the owner's manual for your CVA rifle or pistol. (index)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top