Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 6:48:32 AM EDT
What's the difference between the collector grade vs service/shooter grade? Anyone have both?
CMP advertises that it is just all matching parts, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Just know that the collector version won't necessarily be in better condition that the service grade.  It will be an unusual make or scarce serial number range or possibly not have been through an arsnel rebuild.  No guarantees on "prettiness".

CMP's Index

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the collector's grade is no better, condition-wise, than the service grade; however, they have all original finish and parts, making them much more valuable as collectors.  

www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
According to the CMP Website, the Collector Grade may not be in better shape than the Service Grades, but due to originality, markings or scarcity, it will sold as a "collector".

I believe the barrel erosion could actually be worse than a service grade, and a beat-up M1 with original stock, markings, and poor finish-parkerizing.....may be a collector..but an ugly one at that!.

My Dec.2001 CMP Service Grade has a beautfull...un-marked tiger-stripped stock (usgi rebuild-replacement) to go along with a Fall '43 Springfiled reciever and an 11-43 SA Barrel.

It shoots flawlessly and if I do my part...will shoot about 1.5-3 MOA at 100 yards with 30 year old Mil-Surplus Ball Ammo...which is all I can expect.

Just got a '43 UFH Bayonet to go with it. No such thing as a Post-Ban CMP M-1!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. Now, how do I get in touch the Garand Collectors Assoc?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top