Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2002 7:59:13 PM EDT
What gun [and caliber] do you use for ccw?  What type of holster or rig?

And, WHY that gun?  The caliber?  Familiarity with that type due to police/military service?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually carry a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911.  I carry it first because its extremely reliable.  Second because its safe.  Third because its a .45. Forth because its thin and easy to conceal no matter what the weather.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a Hk USP compact .45 or a Makarov
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Kimber Pro Eclipse 1911. I prefer the Commander-sized slide(4") over my full-sized Colt Series-70 1911(5").

Dillon LTD holster w/matching Dillon belt & mag-holder.

1) The 1911 sends a .45" bullet outa a slide that's only .9" wide.

2) Classic American styling w/thousands of available aftermarket parts. Think of it as a 'handheld' Harley Davidson.

3) THE BEST(shortest/crispiest) handgun trigger(besides a single-shot TC Contender/Encore, maybe).

4) Every large(or even small) handgun collection requires at least one.:)

5) 9-shots in standard-length frame(8+1). This doesn't sound like too many, but they're BIG shots.

6) The visual appearance of the bore-diameter and Condition 1(cocked & locked) carry are phsycological warning shots themselves.          

7) Most of the time, the letters "U.S." or "U.S.A." can be found somewhere on the frame and/or slide of a 1911.

I'll never change, but that's just me. Other shooters like the longer DA & DAO trigger pulls for defensive handguns. They each draw their own crowd.

BTW-My issued sidearm(LE) was a S&W M65 .357 revolver. I found the 1911s on my own.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock model 22 (40s&w)
Kramer OWB holster
Milt Sparks belt and single mag pouch
Dillon belt
Kramer belt

The Glock is simple, reliable. 40 caliber pistol has more capacity than .45 ACP and is a little more bullet than 9mm.

I consider any pistol inherently underpowered but necessary because of it's concealability. Shot placement and bullet design are very important factors. I can't imagine going under the 9mm power level in a CCW.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]
SW 649 .357 pocket rocket

I like that I can carry it and it doesn't poke me or is heavy. It is easy to conceal without having to change everything I wear.
I feel comfortable with it
I can hit what I aim at with it
I know it will fire when I pull the trigger, if it doesn't I just pull the trigger again.
I know when I hit someone with a .357 they won't be happy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Cold weather=G22
Hot weather=G27

Why them? Easy, they are Glocks
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah I forgot, they are looking for a few good handgunners handguns.ar15.com/
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Kimber Custom Eclipse and Colt Officers ACP.  Both 1911 type pistols.  Because gun and mags easy to conceal, fast and makes big holes.

Holtstered in Hellweg Tactical Speed holster and belt. Fast, secure and fairly easy to conceal.  But would like to try a Milt Sparks or other IWB holster.

/r,

Deucer01
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#10]
In the winter (read that as zero and below), I carry an S & W model 13 with a bobbed hammer, and quad port. Packed with Federal 125 grain hollows (357 Mag). In warmer weather, a Kimber Ultra Carry (sub compact), with 45acp hydroshoks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Kel-Tec P-32, because it's with me - EVERYWHERE I GO.  It weighs next to nothing, and in a good holster you won't even know it's there.  I have gone the full circle from full size duty guns(Sig P226), to compacts(Sig P229, Glock 19, Ruger SP101) to pocket guns.  I have chosen the later, because I know it will be with me without the worries of concealment which often make us question whether or not we NEED to carry in the first place.

We all know the first rule of gunfighting, so I won't bore you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey all,
Being in Ohio there is no CCW here.
Off duty is a Glock model 30 with 230grn. Hydroshocks in a uncle mikes belt slide holster with no extra mags.
On duty is a Beretta 96D 40 cal. with 3 mags. My G30 as a second weapon with 4 extra model 21 13 round mags.
My department won't let me carry my G21 or I would.We also can't carry any single action guns.If so I might carry a Officers ACP.
I would love to carry a AR Pistol for a second weapon in my duty bag.But that would not fly with my department.Although some guys have been know to carry some crazy stuff.Not me though."I would never violate policy"evil grin.
  On 9-11 some guys came in for overtime with their AR's  AK's M1's ...You get the idea.
The bosses shit.Laughed my ass off.
Later all,
GSX
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What gun [and caliber] do you use for ccw?  What type of holster or rig?

Mike

gun, caliber singular?  Are you kidding?

I go for the layered defense approach. Which gun I am using is based on location, concealability, tactics and application.

On Person = Bersa .380 or .40 Sigma

This varies based upon clothing, temperature, etc.

Vehicle = .40 Sigma, or 3913 9mm, or Taurus PT911 9mm  (depends on which vehicle I am in)

Home = Bushmaster and body armor.

Sometimes I double up and carry on my person, even though the vehicle may have a pre staged weapon.

I like to mix things up by carrying openly on my property while mowing the grass, enteraining friends for dinner, etc.  

I want people, good or bad, friend or foe, to believe I am always arm's reach or less from a weapon.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Colt 1991A1 Commander all the time.  

It's a .45 and it's just short enough that I can sit down and not have the muzzle buried in the seat.  

I don't know if I'm deformed or something.  Maybe my ass isn't up to size, but having a 4.25" barrel versus a 5" gun makes it a lot more comfortable to carry.

My leather consists of a Wild Bill's Concealment 1.25" wide belt and IWB FBI-cant holster.  It's good stuff, hand made and not real expensive.  Oh yeah, and one extra mag pouch.

www.wildbillsconcealment.com

I chose a .45 for the same reason most people do, I have a reall small penis and must compensate for it.  No, seriously, it's because I'm short and must compensate for it.  No, just kidding, I really picked it to make me feel like a big manly man.  Well, not quite.  

Previously I carried a Kimber Custom CDP Compact 4" barrel officer's frame but sold it to help get an M16.  After I paid for the M16 I bought the 1991A1 Commander.  I was pretty unimpressed by a $1000 "Custom" pistol having a bunch of cast and plastic parts so I bought a $480 Colt instead.  Guess what.  It has a bunch of cast and plastic parts.  At least is says Colt on it.

This is my car, carry and home gun.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Well it depends on time of year and my dress of the day.  Generally in street clothes (jeans, tee shirt and cover shirt) I carry a Glock 19 and a Glock 26.  Both are equipped with exactly the same sights and triggers.  The 19 goes in a Galco Pancake and the 26 goes in an Uncle Mike’s ankle holster.  For business dress, I carry a custom Colt Commander in a Galco shoulder rig, with a pair of Wilson’s mags on the strong side.  I have never felt “underpowered” with any pistol that I choose to carry, however I have never carried anything smaller than a .38.  If you are worried about stopping power, there are several ammo manufactures that specialize in high powered ammo; CorBon and Triton are the first two to come to mind.  I for one have always carried CorBon ammo in all of my carry pistol, regardless of caliber.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#16]
P-12/45 in kydex belt holster.Hides well for a hi-cap, and plenty of firepower.Makes sitting in car somewhat less of contortionist act.Kind of heavy though.Triton ammo.Jeez does that stuff get everybody's attention out of that short barrel at the indoor range.Amazingly accurate,shot off a sandbag it does as well as most 5" guns.Hmmmmm,maybe I ought to carry a sand bag on the other side......
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Glock 23 with night sights, mostly in a Glock sport/combat holster. (or on-duty, in a Safariland Level 1.)  Also, at least one extra mag.  Simple, reliable, easy to conceal.  A good balence.  Occasionally, I get lazy or dressed up, and its a a stainless 38 bodyguard in a pocket holster.
dp
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got 9 Glocks to choose from and tend to rotate thru them, but generally stick to a G26 or G27 due to ease of carry.  Sometimes (rarely) a Kel-tec P11 or *&* .357 j-frame in a front pocket.  KT P32 in front pocket when nothing else will work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock 26 9mm (the baby Glock) in an IWB Gibbs horsehide holster.  No extra mags.

I carry the glock because it's simple, accurate and has a durable protective finish....and I don't want to scuff my 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
glock 19c night sighted with gold dot +p+ hollow points and a glock 17 mag in a fobus paddle holster (18rds of hot +p+ tends to do the job) i sometimes carry a para ord p-13 in a don hume holster with hydrashoks or a kel-tec p-32 in very hot weather loaded with magsafe in an ankle holster.
my trunk gun fluctuates between my bushmaster shorty and my benelli m-1, depending on the weather (benelli in summer w/#4 buck and bushy in winter with 60gr. black hills)

whew!, o.k., i'm done.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of the time a Colt Light Weight Commander in .45acp loaded with 230gr Corbon +P HP or 230gr Federal Hydroshocks, carried in a Hackathorn Combat Special Holster, or a Safariland Jackslide.

Some time a Beretta 92 in a Bianchi #3s Pistol pocket or a Bianchi #7, loaded with Federal 124rg +P+ Hydroshoks

or

Glock 22 loaded with 155gr Federal Hydroshocks carried in a Gould&Goodrich holster.

Then there's also...................

and don't forget handguns.ar15.com/

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Kahr K9 in 9x19.  

I use a CaseLogic CD nylon carrying case (fanny pack style) with a custom homebrew holster and mag holders modifications.

Why?

Kahr K9:
- Ultra reliable.  You simply pull the trigger and it always goes bang.  Sweet DAO trigger.  Seems safer and more "natural" than a Glock.
- Very accurate.
- All steel.  Extra mass helps control muzzle flip and makes practice a pleasure.  Besides, it feels and looks good.
- Compact. Smaller than all the 380's and 38 snubbies I own.
- Largest pocket pistol I own.  ;)

9x19:
- Largest, most effective round I could find in a pocket pistol size weapon.
- Use Federal 147 gr HydroShok (the Kahr really likes them and they shoot to point of aim)

Rig:
- I can wear the dang thing anywhere and anytime in any weather with any clothing -- 99.5% of the people never give it a second look.
- It nicely holds and conceals 2 or 3 extra mags.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry a Colt Enhanced Gov't. model in 45ACP. I customized it with beavertail grip safety, Novac low-mount carry sights,  long carbon trigger (I have long fingers), trigger job, etc. I had it finished by Birdsong in BlackT.

I carry it in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion iwb holster. It carrys comfortably and hides well.

If the SHTF, I want to get the job done fast!

Gary
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Walther PPK/S stainless .380

Why?  
- I can carry it in my pants pocket
- I can carry it in my coat pocket
- It looks cool :)
- .380 is minimum caliber for me. I'd like a 9mm, and I can't find anything light/small enough.  I don't like the look/feel of the Kel-tecs

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]
M-60 mounted a brown military humvee" heheehe" like they have a pentagon. on 4 sides, OH i can't carry  a firearm as a convicted felon. really a G21 or G30  

remember the real terrorists murdered four innocent students ohio, usa
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Colt Defender, .45ACP, Galco Summer Comfort

Carry it because it is light, small, has just enough power to put down a phsycotic bovine when it is trying to tap dance on my forehead, ergonomics are second nature to me(every pistol I have ever owned has been a 1911 type.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Colt Double Eagle Officers DA/SA--9 rounds of 45 ACP
I either use a planner holster or a kramer MSP paddle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#28]
H&K USP 45 Compact in an IWB strong side holster.

Why? The gun goes bang every time, I can shoot out a gnat's ass at self-defense distances with it, and if I ever get jumped by a marauding band of gnats, the gnat community will be participating in one long funeral service.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]
We in Phx are a little extreme. My partners and myself pretty much carry the same.

I carry HK's usually. I carry one of these options: USP45 full in a Galco shoulder rig and a Glock G26 in an ankle rig. Sometimes it is easier to grab a spare than a reload. Sometimes I carry the Glock in a left draw hand small of back rig as well. I sometimes carry the full size in a right hand IWB and a USP45c in a left hand IWB. I sometimes carry 2 USP45c's in a double shoulder rig with spare mags in the small of back. I also carry a 3" S&W 29 44 mag with the Glock ankle or a USP45c in left IWB. I also have a Sig 228 for thoswe "light days" when I don't feel the need for so much protection. I like to be creative. BTW, I can hide 2 USP45 fulls under a t-shirt and not print.

A 2nd gun can be a life saver. You can arm a second person if needed, serve as a reload, etc.

Right after 9/11, I was carrying my CAR-15 in the Jeep as well as primary and backup gun. I'd rather have it and never need it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Walther P99 40

Why, I bought the gun cause I fell in love with it, I am accurate with it, and comfortable with the DA pull. I am 6'5" 230 so I do not have a problem hiding it in the Mitch Rosin Stick O'Matic Holster.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Currently, I carry a Beretta 9mm in a Fobus holster. Works pretty well, though it tends to stick out the bottom of my jackets or sweatshirts. Fits pretty well by itself in my waistband in the small of my back. Sometimes carry my girlfriend's Colt .380 in a fanny pack, usually when I'm bicycle riding. Going to Kuai this weekend, and when I return I'm gonna pick up a SIG P239 in .40S&W. Haven't decided on a holster for it yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#32]
P-32, goes everywhere all the time.  Front pocket, usually.  I can walk around with a firing grip on it whenever I feel like it for faster presentation.  With the right holster, it prints like a wallet (barely).

PLUS

Folding knives, 3" plain edge Spyderco delica at minimum.  Mainly because it is small enough to go unnoticed and easy to open with a thumb or pinky (reverse grip) in dominant or non-dominant hand.  Clip one in each boot and drop one inside a pocket to go unseen.  I rarely carry more than three knives.  

PLUS

SureFire 6P with the 120-lumen lamp.  When wearing jeans this goes in a front pocket.

PLUS

G32 (.357 SIG) when I have a hand free for off-body carry or suitable clothing for IWB or Fobus carry.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Springfield Armory .45, loaded model, 5 inch barrel. Customized with Wilson Combat Ambi thumb safety, and S/A Ambi mag release. Novak night sites, orange front and rear green. Two tone Teflon finish, Black slide and green frame. Holster depends on activity, outdoors Wilson combat tactical, deep concealment currently milt sparks ex companion. May will be using Mitch Rosen arg-dl.
I use this pistol as well other 1911's because of reliability. I also carry a compact kimber and officers model. To each his or her own.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#34]
1. Kimber Ultra Elite when clothing permits - makes a BIG hole and accurate as hell. Also has LaserGrips for that added extra red dot

2. Glock 33 (.357 Sig) next - good ballistics when .45 not available - reasonably accurate.

3. Colt Pocket Nine next in jeans with deep pockets - reasonably accurate - never 147 gr...always 125 gr Corbon.

4. Last when all else fails - Keltec P32 - with hot loads - better than nothing - similar to .380 standard ballistics.

Always have at least one spare, sometimes two, magazines.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Les Baer TR Special .45 ACP in a Milt Sparks Summer Special with an S-4C mag pouch and matching Sparks belt. The inherent reliability and shootability of the 1911 make it a logical choice for any individual dedicated the craft of personal defense and for some there is no finer CQB handgun. For a handgun cartridge the .45 ACP is about as effective as one can hope for and most of the time the natural choice for the 1911 platform.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, it looks like the various 1911 pistols are the thing for ccw.  Next in line appears to be Glocks and Kel-Tec's taking a third place.

In terms of the most popular calibers, it's .45, .40, and 9mm.  (No surprises, I guess.)

Hmm.  Thank you for the information.  Another question: when is CCW the hardest?  Do you usually have to adjust your piece when you sit down in a car?  Use the bathroom?  ???

Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#37]
What, am I the only guy who carries a S&W Airweight in .38 Special?  

It fits into a pants pocket easier than any auto except maybe the .32's.  

5 shots of 124 gr. Federal Nyclad should be adequate for most anything.

It is rated for +P, and mostly made of aluminum.

It can be fired out of a coat pocket without jamming.  

No limp wristing worries.

It can be mostly concealed within my hand when moving it in or out of my pocket.  

DAO trigger means no safety or cocked hammer to worry about or forget.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#38]
previously: Sig 232 in .380, Forbus paddle holster.

currently: Springfield lightweight Ultra-Compact (PX9507L) .45. No holster rig, inside the pantz. OR Galco YAQUI Paddle Holster.

Once n awhile, or traveling distances: Springfield 1911 Loaded 5"

Always: S&W SWAT tactical folder
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Usually a 1/2 pint flask loaded with Macallan.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Colt Combat Commander 45acp Speer golddots. I use an Alessi watch Six Dual Talons.

I use this combination cause its shoots outstanding, easy to conceal and has a proven recorded. Plus nothing beats a good 1911 :)

Clinth

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Another question: when is CCW the hardest?  Do you usually have to adjust your piece when you sit down in a car?  Use the bathroom?  ???

I still haven't figured out how to carry in the shower.  Maybe a KISS diver's knife or something...

Otherwise, you shouldn't have to constantly "adjust yourself" when you carry or you will give yourself away.  That's why it's important to find a comfortable way to carry.  You'll need to experiment and find out what works for you.

For simplicity and versatility, don't overlook off-body carry.  It's good when you need to go to places you can't carry.  You don't need to take off your belt, etc.  Just grab your organizer or whatever and go.  For that matter, the Fobus is not bad in that respect.

Have any of you tried out the new "surface mount" fobus?  It has a ball and socket joint and a flat mounting surface so you can screw it down or bolt it to something.  This looks like the way to go to have a few extra guns laying around, ready to go.  I would like to figure out how to use these in my vehicle and at home.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#42]
1911-A1 in a minimalist type belt holster.  

Its what I shoot the most and am familiar with.

It's thin enough that I've worn it under a t-shirt and no one knew it was there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Glock 26 9mm with night sights in a DeSantis Kydex paddle. Reliability and good capacity in a compact, accurate package.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Colt's OACP in .45.  The only mod to it is a relativly small beavertail.  I like .45 because the bigger holes let out more blood and let in more cold air (not original).
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Glock 30, .45ACP in a Sidearmor IWB holster
why? it's the only handgun I have of a big enough caliber (other one is a .22LR)
plus it conceals well
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Depending on the weather, a Glock 26 or a KelTec P32...

When I drive up north (northern Maine) I usually throw the Colt 45 in the truck.  I keep the 357 as the official home defender, and the Desert Eagle .50 as the monster of the collection, ya never know where he's lurking!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#48]
My first choice is my Glock 19.  Fill the mag
with 15 rounds of Corbons or Hydroshocks and you have lots of fire power.  Since *diversity* is in style these days, I also carry a P226 and Glock 22 when I get in a mood for *social* work.

Keep your powder dry and shoot em where they look the biggest!

Spambo
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to put in my two cents, especially when it comes to holsters.

I have a Glock 22, and 27, and I carry them depending on what I am wearing.  I think the .40 is the best all around caliber for personal defense, and the Glock is the best firearm for that purpose.  And they fit my hand like a glove.  1911's are nice for the range and target shooting, but when it comes to serious work nothing beats a Glock.  

My holsters are from Fist Inc.  They have a real nice kydex holster with many different configurations. Different adapters to go inside the pants, outside, at any angle.  I carry the G22 in it.  And this holster has the sweetest presentation of anything I have ever carried.  Crisp, smooth, and fast.  The G27 lives in another Fist holster, their clip on ultra thin kydex model.  It is so thin, barely more than a business card wide.  This really holds it's shape, it's incredible.  And the clip holds very secure, not like the cheapies on lots of clip holsters.  Under a light shirt in the summer I can put it right in front, under the shirt, and it is invisible.

I also carry a Benchmade McHenry & Williams Axis lock in M2HS, and a Sure fire E1 Executive.  If I know I will be out at night I have a 6Z as well.  

If I'm can't handle it with that combination then I wandered into a war zone and should have been paying more attention!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Para-Ordnance P12-45 loaded with Fed. Hydrashocks in the 230 gr flavor.  Very accurate even though it is a little on the heavy side.  Galco paddle holster.  Conceals well and goes on and off the belt easy when getting into and out of the truck.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top