Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 5:19:04 PM EDT
I picked up an old Colt SP-1 pre-ban at the Gun show this weekend here in VA. The Upper has the brass deflector and the bolt forward assist. The lower is marked SP-1. I thought that the SP-1 lacked these features. What difference is there really between an SP-1 and an A1? How can i find out what year this rifle was made?

I paid $1200 for it which isn't too bad. It being the cheapest pre-ban i could find around here. Though the finish is worn, whoever owned it took good care of it. It is destined to become my M4gery Does anybody make a better M4 upper then Bushmaster?

lib
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to the serial number list:

old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an SP-1 I picked up new in 1978. The serial number is in the 97*** range. Maybe this will help you narrow it some. By the way this weapon has never malfunctioned on me.

You are correct in that the SP-1's do not the have the forward assist or the brass deflector. If it is a Colt upper it is probably from the A-2 upper which also had the large hole.

I think you may be referring to the M-16 A1? Colt intentionally made the uppers/lowers different from the SP models. I believe because of part interchangeability.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
And one other thing...I paid $290.00...I should of bought a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno that I have ever seen A1 sights and a brass deflector on the same upper.  You do have A1 sights and not A2 right?

SP1s never came with forward assist.  The successor to the SP1 was the AR15A2, which had the new barrel profile and twist, new handguards, new stock, and the old A1 upper receiver.  I guess Colt was just trying to use up all the old A1 upper receivers before going to the A2 receiver.

Post a pic if you can.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, and if you have a Colt lower, naturally I'd get a Colt M4 upper just to keep it all consistent.  Either a 14.5 with a permanent Phantom or the 16 inch variety.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The upper receiver is colt market (C  H, on the carry handle's side under A1 rear sight).

The upper definitly has the A1 sight and is finished in a maganese phospate (gray park) finish as is the lower. The lower however is very slightly darker then the upper. this is not noticeble at first glance. Perhaps it is possible that someone "upgraded" the upper years ago as the wear on the upper is almost as worn as the rest of the rifle. (all still gray though).

This is really my first time handling the A1 type AR-15 and you know the triangular handguards aren't that bad. Unfortunately they creak when squeezed. They sit the sights up well i think. I prefer the A1 stock over the A2 stock, but then im used to the shorter AK stocks.

lib
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, and if you have a Colt lower, naturally I'd get a Colt M4 upper just to keep it all consistent.  Either a 14.5 with a permanent Phantom or the 16 inch variety.

I dont think Colt sell's the 14.5 inch with a permanent Phantom. only Bushmaster does. the last price i saw on Colt M4 uppers was $699 without bolt carrier's.

Thus so far i have been considering the Bushmaster A3-M4 upper with phantom'ed 14.5 inch barrel. and to go with it a set of Colt "shorty" handguards from YTM Distributor's because Bushmaster "shorty" handguards are flimsy and feel cheap. (why Bushmaster Why???)

Are Rock River Arms M4 uppers any good? I want something that is finished in a Manganese Phosphate finish cause its gray and gray is good

Im the proud owner of two Colt pre-bans! yippie!!! -lib
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The upper you currently have on your rifle is the so called transitional upper that was put on rifles post Sp-1 and pre A-2 rifles.It has the teardrop forward assist but has A-1 type sights.

Rick
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a A3 large hole flat top from Daniel Defense ($173) and the BM barrel. It will fit perfectly on your SP-1 lower and will not need and offset adapters. BTW the upper on your SP1 did not show up on SP-2's until 1985 or 1986.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The upper you currently have on your rifle is the so called transitional upper that was put on rifles post Sp-1 and pre A-2 rifles.It has the teardrop forward assist but has A-1 type sights.

Rick

Hmmmm.....mine has the round forward assist. The side of it facing the reciever is slightly flat or straight.

lib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top