Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2002 2:02:05 PM EDT
My lattest project involves a Ruger 10/22. I am configuring it as a survival rifle. When I am done it is going to be neglected for a very long time.  I  want to do some thing with the barrel to prevent corrosion.  It does not have to be pretty.

I am toying with the idea of a stainless barrel. But it must be black considering the intended use.

Is there any way to "color" a stainless barrel?

Should I consider just parkerizing my old one?

I do not want to use a sealant such as oil or cosmoline.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an AR10 barrel black oxide coated by Olympic Arms. There are other places that can black oxide stainless as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes there is, I forgot what kind of coating it was, but a friend of mine had a Sig 229 stainless that had some kind of really heavy matte black finish. It reminded me of the finish on the Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes there is, I forgot what kind of coating it was, but a friend of mine had a Sig 229 stainless that had some kind of really heavy matte black finish. It reminded me of the finish on the Bushmasters.

IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, but sig slides are stainless (and coated somehow). sig also has a pretty slick coating, call K-kote I think.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Robar, they have a process to blacken stainless.www.robarguns.com/additionalfinishes.asp

coyote3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top