Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2002 5:52:47 PM EDT
I've heard that shooting with both eyes open (with iron sights) helps your accuracy a lot. I've only shot my AR once since I got it (been pretty busy:( and I had a hard time trying to shoot with both eyes open. I have pretty good vision and had to squint to see the sights clearly. Is there something wrong with me or is there an easier way to get good at this (like practice, or another technique)? Thanks...
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I can not shoot with both eyes open. I am right handed and left eye dom. So If I shoot with both eyes open I end up seeing side of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm left handed, but right eyed. I have to close my right eye when I shoot pistols, rifles,and machineguns iron sighted to be on target. The only way I can shoot with both eyes open is with red dot and reflex sights. I have heard you can retrain your weak eye to be dominant, but I have never know anyone to be able to.

I would not sweat it. Just spend time training on the basic fundimentals such as trigger sqeeze, breathing, sight picture, grip, and malfunction resolving such as SPORTS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto Campybob's comments. Scarred right eye as kid makes me a lefty shooter and while having a right eye dominance in younger years prevented keeping both eyes open. My left eye is dominant now and I shoot w/ both eyes open. Much easier on the eyes as CB says.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to shoot irons out to 600 and 700 yards, and got really used to it, and I find that I usually shoot with both eyes open. I also find that it helps me spot the impact of my shot which helps for making corrections for follow ons. I might be weird but it just works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top