Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2002 1:18:15 PM EDT
Whats the main difference between the m1903 and the 1903a3 that CMP is selling?  Also what is the benefit of the different brand names and the low vs. high serial numbered ones?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
the '03 uses a notched rear sight that is attached to the FRONT of the receiver. the 03A3 uses a peep sight that is attached to that REAR of the receiver. Therefor the 03A3 has a longer sight radius and a better sight attached and is inherently much more accurate. In 1903 the 30-03 cartridge was developed in conjunction with the '03 rifle. The 30-03 cartridge was kind of underpowered and with advances in gunpowder the 30-06 round was developed. The 30-06 was a high pressure round. The early (pre 1,000,000) '03s were made with a milder steel then the later '03s. So if you get a early '03, you can NOT fire modern 30-06 ammo in it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the '03 uses a notched rear sight that is attached to the FRONT of the receiver. the 03A3 uses a peep sight that is attached to that REAR of the receiver. Therefor the 03A3 has a longer sight radius and a better sight attached and is inherently much more accurate. In 1903 the 30-03 cartridge was developed in conjunction with the '03 rifle. The 30-03 cartridge was kind of underpowered and with advances in gunpowder the 30-06 round was developed. The 30-06 was a high pressure round. The early (pre 1,000,000) '03s were made with a milder steel then the later '03s. So if you get a early '03, you can NOT fire modern 30-06 ammo in it.

Frank, By the earlier ones are you talking about the $300 ones listed as low number SAs?
It would be a shame to not be able to shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what the Squid said. Stay away from the low number rifles if you want a shooter and I'll add that the Mark I's are modified to accept the now extremely rare Pederson device. What is a Pederson device you ask? Between wars when the Army was looking for a Semi-Auto rifle. A fellow named Pederson came up with a modification for the existing O3's. It fired a pistol caliber round out of a stick magazine the protruded from the top of the receiver at an angle to the right. It worked and a few were made and exist in private collections but your will be lucky if you ever see one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
   The low number SAs and RIAs are the ones that shouldn't be shot, the problem was in the heat treating ,not the actual steel.The serial # cutoffs are diff. for both manufacturers, the SAs are in the 800,000 range I believe.
    There were quite a few differences between an 03 and an A3. The A3 was an attempt to make production easier and faster during WWII. Several of the parts that were milled on the 03 were stamped on the A3, the mag. cutoff was eliminated,etc.
    Go to the jouster.com boards for a ton of info on the 1903s and the CMP deals as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
   The low number SAs and RIAs are the ones that shouldn't be shot, the problem was in the heat treating ,not the actual steel.The serial # cutoffs are diff. for both manufacturers, the SAs are in the 800,000 range I believe.
    There were quite a few differences between an 03 and an A3. The A3 was an attempt to make production easier and faster during WWII. Several of the parts that were milled on the 03 were stamped on the A3, the mag. cutoff was eliminated,etc.
    Go to the jouster.com boards for a ton of info on the 1903s and the CMP deals as well.

Thanks for the info. I have a 1903 order ready to go out but I may wait and do some research as I want one I can shoot also. The extra $75 for the pistol grip stock was interesting also. Don't know if it is worth it or not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not purchased from the CMP yet, but have a GCA card on the way, and have my dd214 for high power rifle proof.  Can i order a 1903 before may 1st (deadline on site for non lottery) or do i have to wait till after may 1, 2002?  What do i have to include in my order besides proof of membership and dd214 to purchase the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
They are accepting orders now and will begin processing them in order received after May 1st. You will need to fill out the application from the CMP site and include a copy of your birth certificate or voter registration card to prove citizenship, a copy of your DD-214 to get the match requirement waived and a copy of your club card to prove membership in a CMP affiliated organization.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top