Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2002 9:51:46 AM EDT
they got these at big 5 for $60 they shoot 7.62x54 (what is that) can you find ammo for it and are they accurate rifles?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#1]
7.62X54 is just that. It was known as "7.62 Russian" in older reloading manuals. Yes, it is very available, and fairly cheap. Power is on a par with most commercially loaded .30 calibers..

As to accuracy, some are, some arent. Depends on how the weapon was cared for..It will at least shoot "Minute of Man"..

Hope this helped.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
7.62x54 is damn close to our 30-06. the russians still use the round in their belt feed machine guns. they are nice little rifles. i got a russian, polish and romanian 44. using a police silhouette target at 200yds they will place the rounds into the center mass area of the target. all the rifles were listed as very good to excellent when i got them. you can get the ammo jst about anywhere, aim surplus, century arms, sog. i perfer century since they have free shipping. oh and the best part, they shoot fire

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=shindawia5&album_id=51442&image_id=0&courtesy=1
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If you find one with a good bore, and most have from what I've seen, it's definately worth it.  For ammo, go to www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition.html  where they have a can of 440 rounds for $46.20.  That's only about 10 cents per round.  It's nearly the equal of 30-06 at a fraction of the cost.  The only problem is the recoil.  With the shorter, lighter M44's, the recoil is stout.  If you're going to shoot it more than a few times, then invest in a slip-on recoil pad.  I was too macho to do that the first time I went shooting with mine.  After about 40 rounds, my shirt was ripped and my shoulder bleeding from the sharp edges on the metal buttplate.  With the recoil pad, shooting is much more fun.z
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
damn, I was hoping you guys were going too tell me there junk don't bother getting one, now I am going to have too go spend more money on guns!
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#5]
take a look at www.milsurpshooter.net
for bolt guns,lots of fun to shoot.     jwr
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one.

It splits cases at the neck occasionally. More with hotter ammo. I've only ever used steel cased stuff.

It also hurts me a bit to shoot. I think a recoil pad would help.

I haven't done anything other than plinking with it. It seemed to be accurate enough.

Ammo is cheap and easy to come by.

And no lie about the fire! It can easily be seen in broad daylight!

CranialCrusader
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had some trouble with some ammo in my M44 and M91/30's.  Can't remember where I picked up the old surplus ammo but only about 20% of it will chamber.  I can't close the bolt on most of them.

I remember someone saying to get the copper washed ammo.  I've been too busy with other things to shoot these lately.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]

I've got both  a Polish and a Russian M44. I can keep most shots on a 10"X10" steel plate at 250 yrds. with irons shooting prone. Must keep the bedding screws tightened though ;)

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Handy little rifle.  I was going to mention the muzzle flash but shindawia6 beat me to it.  When you fire this rifle you will lose sight of the target until it finishes flashing.  Haven't tried it yet, but I think the bayonet would be great for cooking hot dogs over an open fire too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
   Somewhere on some other board owners are saying that they get better accuracy with the M44 with the bayonet extended, as thats supposedly the way it was meant to be fired. Damn that was a long sentance. Can you say run-on?
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be able to get surplus ammo 440 rnds. in a tin that will probably be older than you for about $45.  It shoots just fine.  Bring your sunglasses and a pad. (I use a Past shoulder pad and it makes it more fun with less flinching)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top