Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2002 6:33:30 PM EDT
Is it legal to build a suppressor for an air gun?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
While we're at it, what sort of airgun do you fellas thing would be best for hunting small things? I'm looking for someting that runs on muscle power, with cheap ammo, that would be capable of killing say a rabbit and would last a long ass time with minimal maintence (TEOTWAWKI hunting gun)

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
(A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]

A. §921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.

Taken from www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a9
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you'll use the "search" button above first before asking a question, you'd come up with an answer most of the time.
Yes, they are illegal.
For the best Airgun information go here:
www.airguns.net
www.funsupply.com
www.pyramidair.com
bakerworld.com/airgunfun.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend the patriot export(same thing as  beeman kodiak) from pyramid airguns.It is the worlds most powerful spring action airrifle.I have one in .25 cal and love it very accurate have killed squirrels out to 50 yards with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you'll use the "search" button above first before asking a question, you'd come up with an answer most of the time

I searched for subject line containing airgun "air gun" or "Pellet gun" and saw no subjects mentioning supressors.  

Is it really that big of a deal to ask a question that has already been asked? If you don't want to look at it, don't click.

Thanks for the good info everyone.

Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not a "big deal" asking a question that's already been asked. From my experience I have found alot of info through the search. Sometimes I can find more complete information through "search" on a topic that was fresh and everyone chimed in. Repeat questions sometimes don't get answered as thoroughly. So...I was actually trying to help you, not rag on you about asking a question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
It is illegal to make a supressor that can be mounted on a firearm.  Therefore, if you make a supressor for your air rifle, it must be permanently affixed (much like muzzle brakes on post bans) or designed to not function with a firearm using fixed ammo.

Well, I thought about the latter and then realized if one were to use subsonic or CB ammo out of a .22, a supressor that would be legal and effective with an air rifle would be equally effective with such a firearm/ammo combo and the JBT's would have a case.  You might beat the rap but not the ride.

If you go the permanent affixed mode, you still have to install it and then acquire/make the internals.  If you ever had any thing that the internals would fit into, the JBT's could get you on conspiracy to fabricate a silencer.

If silence is your game, why not try one of the medium power springers?  Pre-charged pneumos are very noisy in comparison.  Springers also last a long time (5000 rounds is common) and rabbits are not difficult to dispatch with even an RWS 34.  That rifle is much quieter than say the model 48, especially after break-in.

If you do want to go the permanent route, make sure you have explicit approval on your plans, including the steps of assembly/procurement.  It pays to open a civil dialog with your local branch office in these matters.

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's not a "big deal" asking a question that's already been asked. From my experience I have found alot of info through the search. Sometimes I can find more complete information through "search" on a topic that was fresh and everyone chimed in. Repeat questions sometimes don't get answered as thoroughly. So...I was actually trying to help you, not rag on you about asking a question.

No worries. Thanks again everyone.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top