Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2002 5:23:55 AM EDT
Back when I was a youngster, in the 70s, I lived in the Panama Canal Zone.  We had great ranges and organized shooting.  One program that was run by the military was "rent an M14".  You could get a "match" type M14 for $25 a year or so.  The guy who was my shooting mentor had one of these, and we would have a blast shooting 200 Yd iron sight matches with it.

I've tried to find info about M14s, cause I'm interested in buying one.  Wow, times have changed, they be expensive!!  Why?  Are they in short supply?  Semi Auto only models?  Where can I find more info?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Chinese receiver and a complete U.S.G.I. parts kit and have one built.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What?

Do you have a problem paying $1,200.00 for a rifle that should only cost $400.00?

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got back my Form 4 for my TRW M-14 and picked up the gun yesterday.  If it doesn't rain this weekend I plan on taking it out and shooting it.  It will be the first full auto bigger than a .223 that I have shot and I can't wait to feel the power of the .308.

I bought a Springfield Armory  M1A- National Match semi-automatic rifle in about 1980.  If my memory is correct it cost about $ 1,100.00 then and it hasn't really gone up that much since then.  In fact with inflation it probably hasn't gone up any in value, or cost to get a new one.  Yeah, they are expensive, but so are most of the .308 rifles.

If you want sticker shock look at the HK-91 prices for a "like new" weapon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my Armscorp right before Bush Sr.'s assault rifle ban,, even though since it was American made and wasn't affected,, that didn't keep prices from going up.. I have been really happy with it..It has all new H&R GI parts. I have heard that the Chinese recievers are good, just like someone else suggested, get GI parts and have one built. Mine is a "rack"grade and will out shoot most entry level "match" springfields, you know, stock bbl etc... at the time I first got it in late 80's..
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the M-14
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What?

Do you have a problem paying $1,200.00 for a rifle that should only cost $400.00?

No, I don't have a problem paying $400.00 for the best receiver available. Then adding the best parts available. Try buying an investment cast receiver for $400.00. I would rather do what I suggest than buy a Springfield Inc. and pay $1200.00 for a rifle that should cost $400.00.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
As a side note: some State organizations still have match M14's to loan/rent to shooters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I LOOOOOOOOOVE my SPRINGFIELD M1A. Its the first rifle I bought after I turned 18.That was in Dec.97. The gun only malfunctioned once and that was due to the ammo.I also shoot better with that gun than with any other firearm I have! Also I was thinking does anyone think that there should be a M14.com here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top