Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 9:52:35 PM EDT
Did the CMP ever sell old 1911's ?

Also why do they not sell old M_16's ? (converted to semi only first of course) Could Bush change that buy executive order ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, back around the 60's the DCM sold 1911's through the NRA.  NRA membership used to be required to purchase, IIRC.

M16's, even if converted to semi, would still be machine guns in the eyes of the BATF.  The lower receiver and trigger group would have to be replace with semi parts.  Could an executive order fix that prob, I don't know.

But in any case, memory tells me that the CMP charter only allows them to sell .30 caliber rifles and the .22 rimfires.  So, no .223, no .45, and some say, even if you could get the m14's converted to semi-auto, and past the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun", they still could not be sold unless the CMP charter was updated to include 7.62mm rifles.  Yes, I know that .30 and 7.62 are the same diameter, but the m14's are chambered in 7.62 NATO, and are not .30 caliber.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yup, back around the 60's the DCM sold 1911's through the NRA.  NRA membership used to be required to purchase, IIRC.

M16's, even if converted to semi, would still be machine guns in the eyes of the BATF.  The lower receiver and trigger group would have to be replace with semi parts.  Could an executive order fix that prob, I don't know.

But in any case, memory tells me that the CMP charter only allows them to sell .30 caliber rifles and the .22 rimfires.  So, no .223, no .45, and some say, even if you could get the m14's converted to semi-auto, and past the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun", they still could not be sold unless the CMP charter was updated to include 7.62mm rifles.  Yes, I know that .30 and 7.62 are the same diameter, but the m14's are chambered in 7.62 NATO, and are not .30 caliber.

Actually there are four AR15 rifles and three uppers you can buy through CMP and they are good deals.  All are setup for high power competition.  One Bushmaster and three different Compass Lake modified AR15's.  Check out this link

www.odcmp.com/Services/Programs/AR15.htm

Any of the Compass Lake rifles are competitive and the Bushy is a good entry-level rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The enabling legislation for the CMP only allows them to sell bolt action and semi-automatic rifles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't mind picking up a M1 Carbine also. They ever have those lately? I see they have some 1903s so maybe they will offer the Carbine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Jack_Of_Some_Trades is right, the DCM used to sell 1911s/1911A1s in the '60's, and you did have to be an NRA member to order one.  They were $19.00, .30 M1 Carbines were about the same.  I was way too smart to buy any of the .45's at those outrageous prices (sigh), but I did sign up my entire family and got a nice collection of carbines and one Garand.

The prices they're offering 1903/1903A3s and several flavors of Garands at are pretty attractive even today.

Pat
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
every once in a while you will see available on the auction sites, those old DCM 1911's with the original paperwork, and sometimes even the box that the Post Office delivered the 1911 in.  They do however, seems to go for slightly more that the $19.00 of years past.

Forgot about the CMP selling AR-15's now. So if modifications that could get the m-16's and m-14's past the "once a machinegun" mantra of the BATF, perhaps they too could be sold, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

As for M1 carbines, from the CMP site:

Will Carbines be available through the CMP?
Not anytime in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to mention about the M1 carbines, two main reason they aren't being sold.

First, they are earmarked for clubs to use for their junior marksmem.  Smaller firearm for smaller people.

And Second, the CMP does not want to be on the news and paraded in front of congress being accused of selling "easily-converted machineguns".  As soon as the CMP started shipping M1 carbines to the public, some anti-gun reporter or senator would be screaming bloody murder about how the CMP was selling these weapons that could be converted into machinegun by only swapping out and installing a handfull(7?) of parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]

M16's, even if converted to semi, would still be machine guns in the eyes of the BATF. The lower receiver and trigger group would have to be replace with semi parts. Could an executive order fix that prob, I don't know.

The "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" rule is a BATF creation, not a federal law.  So G.W. Bush could, in theory, use his executive powers to change it.

I'd like to see W arrange things so the CMP could sell "neutered" (semiauto only) M14 rifles.  But I'd be shocked if he actually did it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Since the once a machinegun always a mg is just a bs batf ruling and not a law, they could then make old m16's semi only and sell them to civilians. It wouldn't even cost that much to convert them. They could just take out the bolt and strip the lower and sell it like that. Plenty of guys would buy them stripped and then rebuild them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top