Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 8:17:27 PM EDT
Hi CA guys-

I figure I might get an answer here quicker than an I-net search..

I'm in AZ, I'd like to travel from here to the coast for a vacation.  I know CA doesn't recognize my CCW so I cant carry concealed.

Will CA laws allow me to carry open?  If not, how do I have to transport my 1911A1.

Is it legal for me to bring my Bushmaster to CA to plink on open range??

Thanks for any advice.

Terry
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
best advice is leave them home... Bluemax
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
No legal open carry.

Transport in locked container, separate from ammo.

Can't bring in AR legally, unless for competitions sponsored by recognized organizations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Your chances of getting busted by the cops are 0.01%. Your chances of running into some gangbangers is 99%. You decide the risks you want to take.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun locked in a case in the trunk. Ammo not attached to it - like in a magazine.

You are allowed to wear open carry while camping interesting enough and I always do. I've had more that one police officer come though the camp site and say howdy without issue.

National forests are forbidden and possibly state ones too. I use BLM land as the price is right (free).
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
correct me if Im wrong but I believe forrests are ok for firearms, its the National Parks thast are off limits to weapons
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your chances of getting busted by the cops are 0.01%. Your chances of running into some gangbangers is 99%. You decide the risks you want to take.

Your chances of either are both pretty small, unless you seek out bad areas. But as the old saying goes, it is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

At least keep that locked container handy in case you break down in a questionable/unknown area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My firearm instructor told me that even an empty mag inserted in a gun is considered loaded.  Your best bet is to keep the gun in a locked case.  Magazine and ammo should be kept separately from the gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You are allowed to wear open carry while camping interesting enough and I always do. I've had more that one police officer come though the camp site and say howdy without issue.

There are a indeed few places you can legally open carry. Places that are considered your temporary home, like campsites and motel rooms. Also some obvious circumstances like hunting, at shooting ranges, and public land where shooting is permitted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]

If you violate any of the gun laws it is a class A misdemeanor, therefor you can kiss your CCW goodbye.

Actually I think the PRK about five years ago increased the penalty for concealed carry to a felony.

Guns and PRK do not mix.  Necromancer is right about a lot of things.  The Mrs. grew up in Huntington and sometimes drags me back there against my will for a few days.  I take appropriate defensive precautions as I do just about whenever I leave my house.  However, everyone in HB/Newport and that area seems to be rich, and there are cops all over the place.  I feel relatively safe unarmed.

As for the rest of the L.A. area . . . it's your call.  Weigh your odds and risks and decide accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
correct me if Im wrong but I believe forrests are ok for firearms, its the National Parks thast are off limits to weapons

Well in Rocky Mountain National Parks it says at the visiter's center no discharge of firearms.  Doesn't say anything about carrying....

edited to add that I hike all over the National Forrests with a Vaquero on my hip.  Most hunting is done in National Forrests as well.  Hell, I think most of Colorado is a national forrest!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top