Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 3:29:06 PM EDT
There has been quite a bit of talk about what will happen in 2004.  My friend told me that New York has a mirror law without the sunset prvision.  I found an web page that mentions it here: www.nrawinningteam.com/0008/pataki.html

There is also a blurb near the bottom here: www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NY

If this holds true, when you guys (and gals) can purchase post-ban send us your pre-bans!

"I love new york", yeah, thanks George.

Could I be wrong?

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
in www.nrawinningteam.com/0008/pataki.html they mention if you were discharged from the military honorably you can apply for a pistol liscence, does anyone know about this
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not mistaken

EX-newyorker
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The law allows people who are under 21 to get pistol liscence if they are discharged from the millitary honorabley.  Previously you only had to be 18 but they raised it to 21 with this law, with the above exception included.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Correct, there is no sunset provision built into the New York State assault weapons ban.  So, if and when the federal ban ends in 2004, New Yorkers will still be living as if the federal law never ended.

Of course, in some ways it's worse at the state level as you have a MUCH greater chance of having these silly restrictions enforced by state and local law enforcement than you ever did by the feds.  The BATF simply doesn't (and never has) had the time or manpower to actively enforce the 1994 AW ban, however, there are many more state and local police officers and DA's with the time and manpower to enforce the state ban.

Chances of getting caught if you decide to flaunt the law?  Think of it this way, how many people do you know that have ever had an encounter with a federal LE agent?  Almost nobody I'd guess.  Now, how many people have encounters with state and local LE officers on a regular basis (traffic stops, DWI checkpoints, inspection/registration checkpoints, neighborhood complaints, etc)?  Yep, a whole heck of a lot more.  Get my drift?

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top