Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 1:31:47 PM EDT
Well going with the info that Ive gathered I belive the ban will sunset in 2004. Lets just hope it doesn't get replaced. I am wondering though where I could find a place that supplies bayo lugs. I assume that you would have to somehow remove the front site to put on a bayo lug? am I right? I will need a supplier so that as soon as the ban sunsets then I can get the ball a rollin. Please keep in mind that I would NOT assemble anything prior to the ban sunset and am more likely to purchase somthing around that time. Im just thinking that it would be a good idea to lay out the plans now so there will be no suprises.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
i plan to get a bayonett lug and a flash supressor! i also need to thread my barrel.  anyinfo on that?  thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll buy about a half dozen lower receivers as well as their matching pre-ban uppers. They will be kept unassembled, of course. The second the ban sunsets, BOOM, I'll assemble the pre-ban uppers to the lower & install collapsible stocks on everything. That way I'll have 6 fully assembled post-ban pre-ban rifles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The AW ban is not going away IMHO. Even Bush supports it. They will find a way to re new or make a new one as bad or worse than what we have now.  Gene
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll buy about a half dozen lower receivers as well as their matching pre-ban uppers. They will be kept unassembled, of course. The second the ban sunsets, BOOM, I'll assemble the pre-ban uppers to the lower & install collapsible stocks on everything. That way I'll have 6 fully assembled post-ban pre-ban rifles.

Doing this could be considered intent to manufacture illegal assault weapons if you are caught before the ban sunsets.

For you other folks, you could just buy a pre-ban barrel assembly and rebarrel your rifle to get the sight post with bayonet lug and the threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
additionally, i would bet the farm that, if by some miracle the AW ban sunset;  weapons manufactured w/o Flash hiders or bayo studs will not be permited to be outfitted w/ these features.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The sunset of the AW ban is a pipe dream. It isn't going to happen. The legislation will not expire before it is either renewed with like language or replaced by even more restrictive legislation. Can anyone think of any instance where federal firearms legislation restricting a class of firearms has ever been repealed? I envision something along the lines of the 1934 NFA. Current pre bans will have to be registered and a tax paid on them and it won't be a paltry $200.00 either. They may even try to include all semi autos into that type of scheme.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
also, i was told by the colt armorer here in town that front sight assemblies are matched to the barrel to get the pins in propper alignment.

trying to retrofit a pre ban would be cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If the federal AW ban does not get renewed (it has to sunset, that is built into the 1994 law) will anybody be willing to sell or trade their pre-1994 lower receivers to your loyal pro-Second Amendment colleagues in New York?  I'd be willing to trade a brand spanking new Bushmaster lower built in 2002 for a junky, ancient, 1993 Bushmaster or Colt lower!

We have a permanent AW ban mirroring the federal ban so even past 2004, our pre-bans still have to be built prior to 9/14/94.

Please???  Pretty please?????
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Crowboy, you should take a minute to investigate the other threads that have been hot lately.  

Check these threads out first, and then come back to this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=104627

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=103447

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=101687

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=101586

There is an EXCELLENT chance that the ban will not be replaced.   The reasons are clearly outlined in those threads.

To get your barrel threaded will require it to be removed and cut for threads on a lathe via a machine shop.  The spec is 1/2", 28TPI, right hand.  Length of threads is about .675 inches, measuring my Bushmaster barrel for reference.

Having a flash hider on hand for reference would be a good idea for when you have this done.

The bayonet lug is integral to the sight base. You will need to have a new sight base gunsmithed to the barrel which includes the lug.
It's not a part that you can just pull off and put another on and expect it to fit properly without fitting.

There is no law against owning a flash hider and a sight base if you own a rifle that is properly post-ban configured, but since they're cheap and readily available, and will continue to be so for many years to come, there is no reason to take any chance by having those parts on hand until after the ban goes away.  Don't get those parts until then.    Some people would say that having these parts with a post-ban barrel constitutes intent to perform the conversion, and I might agree...IF you had a barrel with the threads already on it and a sight base installed on it that already had the lug on it.    I believe firmly that you could legally have these parts separate from your rifle if you didn't have a threaded barrel lying around.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The sunset of the AW ban is a pipe dream. It isn't going to happen. The legislation will not expire before it is either renewed with like language or replaced by even more restrictive legislation. Can anyone think of any instance where federal firearms legislation restricting a class of firearms has ever been repealed? I envision something along the lines of the 1934 NFA. Current pre bans will have to be registered and a tax paid on them and it won't be a paltry $200.00 either. They may even try to include all semi autos into that type of scheme.

Look its been explained 47 times how it is gonna sunset. Will you care to explain HOW it would be possible to get a new bill passed? Hmm?

And if you cant than shut up about it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top