Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2002 2:03:29 PM EDT
It wasn't all that many years ago when DCM limited shooters to one rifle per lifetime.  That's assuming you were born into the brotherhood and knew the secret handshake.  Then they opened it up to one per year, tho it still took several months to get one.

Now its pretty close to all you can eat and they can usually get the rifle to you in a matter of weeks.  Hell, they even sold them over the counter at Perry last year.  They advertise in magazines for God's sake.  Anybody know why the switch in attitude?  At some point they've got to run out of rifles but they act like they've got all the rifles in the world.

Not complaining mind you, just very curious.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
 I want one but don't want to jump through the hoops to get one .
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take a guess by providing a few quotations that may be used as a base for a longer explanation.

www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm

From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (TITLE XVI) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP.

Since then:

No federally appropriated funds may be used by the Corporation to conduct operations; therefore, all funds must be generated through authorized sales, donations and fees charged.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the middle of the process of getting my Garand... I'm just waiting for the club membership documentation, and the documentation from the John C Garand match I shot in last weekend, then send it in!

I think the CMP probably has plenty of rifles... given there were more than 5 million made.  They probably sell 10-20 thousand a year, and if they had a million rifles, that's about a 50-100 year supply.    I plan on getting several through the CMP...
One historic/collectors.  One to keep as original (in configuration) for shooting, and one to trick out for Highpower shooting.  Eventually I'll have all three.

"the greatest battle implement ever devised"

M@
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Act like they've got all the rifles in the world?  I've heard them jokingly called the "Garand Retention Program" after jerking people around for so long.  My great-nephew has gone to great lengths to try to get a Garand out of them with no luck so far.  From what I've seen, they're treating the rifles as if they only have a few left, not the other way around.z
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Act like they've got all the rifles in the world?  I've heard them jokingly called the "Garand Retention Program" after jerking people around for so long.  My great-nephew has gone to great lengths to try to get a Garand out of them with no luck so far.  From what I've seen, they're treating the rifles as if they only have a few left, not the other way around.z

I've heard you refer to them as that, Zoom.  I have no idea why your great nephew is getting the run around.  I printed out the ap, and it seems like you just fill it out, include the required documentation (club membership and match participation), have it notarized, include payment info, and there you go.  If you check www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand they didn't seem to have any problems.  Maybe you're nephew is dealing with another office of the CMP?  I think there are a couple, but I'm not sure.  

M@
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased two of the back when they were 400 each.  Best 800 dollars I ever paid for guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone I know just got 3 Garands through the CMP. He said something about each club being limited to 3 rifles per year. But a person buying through the club isn't. That is the Junior CMP club where my son belongs.

I was going to get a Bushmaster AR through them DCM model. I decided to wait I want an Armalite AR10 first. Then a Varminter,Then a 700, then a MACHINE GUN.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My DCM rifle took 8 months when it was one per lifetime and if you think you have to jump through hoops now to get one my god was it a pain in the azz back then. Now it takes about 5 minutes to fill out the application and in 3-4 weeks you get a rifle !
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine for $300 + $10 shipping from the CMP.
Great gun...and the chicks dig it.

I waited for 2 weeks and it showed up. CMP kicks ass.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgive my ignorance, but do they send the rifle direct to you without going through an FFL?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Act like they've got all the rifles in the world? I've heard them jokingly called the "Garand Retention Program" after jerking people around for so long. My great-nephew has gone to great lengths to try to get a Garand out of them with no luck so far. From what I've seen, they're treating the rifles as if they only have a few left, not the other way around.z

zoom, I've followed your CMP saga, too. I think you're a genuinely good guy, and I'm not trying to flame or insult you, but there's something not quite right with your story.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It wasn't all that many years ago when DCM limited shooters to one rifle per lifetime.  That's assuming you were born into the brotherhood and knew the secret handshake.  Then they opened it up to one per year, tho it still took several months to get one.
Now its pretty close to all you can eat and they can usually get the rifle to you in a matter of weeks.  Hell, they even sold them over the counter at Perry last year.  They advertise in magazines for God's sake.  Anybody know why the switch in attitude?  At some point they've got to run out of rifles but they act like they've got all the rifles in the world.
Not complaining mind you, just very curious.

The
Clinton Admin wanted tp get out of the business of selling high-power weapons to the Joe Twelve-packs like us. But, they didn't want to lose a money making propisition. Back in those days, an M-1 cost $60.00. Any excess money that isn't required for the operation of the CMP goes to the Government.
So, start building those Schummer Arsenals NOW.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but do they send the rifle direct to you without going through an FFL?

In effect, the CMP is the FFL. They also initiate the NICS check. The rifle will come FEDEX.
Unless you have a lot of experience with the rifle in question, take it to someone who does. The rifles are old. Who knows which parts are going to fail, so it's better to take it to someone who can spot a problem before you fire the first shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes.  CMP is exempt from certain provisions of GCA68.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In effect, the CMP is the FFL. They also initiate the NICS check. The rifle will come FEDEX.

This is not quite true.  FFLs cannot run a NICS check an then mail you a firearm (either intra-state or inter-state.) CMP is actually exempt from certain provisions of the 1968 Gun Control Act (but not the Brady law, hence the NICS check.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Now they are selling 1903s and 1903A3s while not the "finest battle implement ever devised" this is still a hell of a piece of history.  From $300 to $500 I sent my application out yesterday.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody know if they've put a limit on how many 1903's you can buy?  Doesn't say anything on the website, so I assume there's not a limit.  

Can't beat the price for them, and if you get a decent one it'll be pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anybody know if they've put a limit on how many 1903's you can buy?  Doesn't say anything on the website, so I assume there's not a limit.  

Can't beat the price for them, and if you get a decent one it'll be pretty accurate.

Direct from my CMP catalog "Purchase limit one of each option per customer per calender year". They have 16 options. I placed an order for a High number Springfield 2 weeks ago. Unless you were already signed up for the M1903 lottery(Approx. 14,100 applicants)they will not begin to process orders until May 1st. Rumor has it they have about 45,000 available.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Orest Micheals has made a number of changes since he has been in charge over there.  Most of the changes have occured within the last year or so.  For instance, until recently, they didn't usually honor requests for a specific manufacturer or serial number range.  Now they have different pricing for different manufacturers, so if you want an International Harvester M1, you are guaranteed to get one.  They are trying to be much more customer friendly.    
Clinton tried his best to shut the CMP down and destroy the rifles.  Honestly, I believe they are trying to sell as many of them off as possible before another idiot gun grabber gets in office and shuts them down, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
mmm...between my dad my brother and i five cmp garands have seen this house...  i got an awesome H&R from them for about 450, tightest fitting best shooting off the rack gun i've ever seen.  my dad picked up one a while back and turned it into a deer rifle.  yes.  a deer gun.  he also got an all original but high serial # rifle for 450 that should have been sold as a collectors' grade.  great rifles, cmp is a great program, no complaints here.  prices keep going up, but i'm guessing operational costs do to as they do some work on the rifles.  There were how many m-1s produced for the government?  they still have a substantial amount left, i'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
zoom, I've followed your CMP saga, too. I think you're a genuinely good guy, and I'm not trying to flame or insult you, but there's something not quite right with your story.

As I've posted before, I'm afraid the CMP is going to end-up in trouble with some senator or rep, because "they're not doing their job."  If they make the wrong politician, or politician's relative or friend, mad, then I'm afraid they might be made an example of.  One local lawyer, who is a state rep, complained that he sent in his paperwork and never heard back.  He's even in the state National Guard, and he is the type person they just shouldn't offend.  I'm concerned some anti-gunner is going to use the "they're not doing their job" as an excuse to shut them down.  I've posted the saga here before, but here it is briefly.  My great-nephew joined the Garand Collectors Association to meet the CMP-affiliated club requirement.  He registered to vote to meet the citizenship requirement (cheaper than applying for a passport to photocopy).   He fired over 50 rounds in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town, and the CMP returned his application.  They also didn't accept his scoring card from his CCW class, taught by a NRA certified instructor, where he fired 100 rounds.  Either one of those should have qualified according to the application!  We haven't completed the third option of shooting in a match, because we haven't found one close yet.  The closest I've found is over a 100 miles away on the other side of Columbia, SC.  Both of us took the day off of work (it's on Sunday's and he's a preacher so that was a sacrifice) to go compete, but we just ended-up watching, which was very interesting, but their matches are usually full, as it was then.  The RO suggested coming back when the weather is nice when they might have two relays of shooters.  I haven't been able to convince him to go back to that shoot, because the guys there were very good (well, relative to us), had very nice equipment (shooting coats, mats, nice spotting scopes, etc.), and it's on a Sunday.  We're still looking for something closer and/or less intimidating and something definitely not on a Sunday morning.  He really needs to find a match soon, because he has $500 in a separate account, and it's just a matter of time before his wife remembers it's there and decides to spend it .  Watching Band of Brothers with him last fall didn't help situation either.z
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
We bought 2 complete M1's, 2 stripped Receivers, a couple .22's, and a boat load of ammo the last few years from CMP.

Just wish they would sell M1 Carbines again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I've posted before, I'm afraid the CMP is going to end-up in trouble with some senator or rep, because "they're not doing their job."  If they make the wrong politician, or politician's relative or friend, mad, then I'm afraid they might be made an example of.  One local lawyer, who is a state rep, complained that he sent in his paperwork and never heard back.  He's even in the state National Guard, and he is the type person they just shouldn't offend.  I'm concerned some anti-gunner is going to use the "they're not doing their job" as an excuse to shut them down.  I've posted the saga here before, but here it is briefly.  My great-nephew joined the Garand Collectors Association to meet the CMP-affiliated club requirement.  He registered to vote to meet the citizenship requirement (cheaper than applying for a passport to photocopy).   He fired over 50 rounds in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town, and the CMP returned his application.  They also didn't accept his scoring card from his CCW class, taught by a NRA certified instructor, where he fired 100 rounds.  Either one of those should have qualified according to the application!  We haven't completed the third option of shooting in a match, because we haven't found one close yet.  The closest I've found is over a 100 miles away on the other side of Columbia, SC.  Both of us took the day off of work (it's on Sunday's and he's a preacher so that was a sacrifice) to go compete, but we just ended-up watching, which was very interesting, but their matches are usually full, as it was then.  The RO suggested coming back when the weather is nice when they might have two relays of shooters.  I haven't been able to convince him to go back to that shoot, because the guys there were very good (well, relative to us), had very nice equipment (shooting coats, mats, nice spotting scopes, etc.), and it's on a Sunday.  We're still looking for something closer and/or less intimidating and something definitely not on a Sunday morning.  He really needs to find a match soon, because he has $500 in a separate account, and it's just a matter of time before his wife remembers it's there and decides to spend it .  Watching Band of Brothers with him last fall didn't help situation either.z

Zoom, I think I've heard the story, too.  I'm hearing about half of it, tho.  Being a professional troubleshooter, what I'm hearing is "we did this, and they did that" and that's it.  No explanation of why they did what they did.  Why did they send back the application?  Are they not satisfied with the shooting requirement?  I'm almost pretty sure they won't accept the CCW shooting, as it's not a 'match'.  Have you called them to verify why the application was turned down?  What did they say?  

And about the match, everyone being really good... remember, you only have to shoot in the match, not place in the top 3!  I shot in a John C Garand match last weekend, and I'd NEVER fired a Garand before... but I did OK.  Noone looked down on the 'newbies'

M@
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
zoom:
There's something that doesn't add up with your story. Again, I'm not trying to hardass you or flame you, but all things considered, I'd get on the phone and get some names and who, what, why, and fors on this deal. Openly airing your grievances here won't solve anything. Your dealing with the CMP is the exception to the rule.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]

I'm almost pretty sure they won't accept the CCW shooting, as it's not a 'match'.

You're right.  They didn't accept it, but according to their own rules, they are supposed to.  I've got his application in a folder in my desk.  It states:

3.To establish your eligibility under (or exemption from) CMP marksmanship participation criteria, PHOTOCOPY and return THE COPY of only ONE of the following (if you are a parent or guardian purchasing a rifle for a Junior shooter, the document may pertain to the Junior):

*Proof of CMP or Military Distinguished Rifleman/Marksman or Distinguished Pistol Shot status
*Current Instructor or Coach Certification for Rifle or Pistol.
*A dated NRA or USA Shooting classification card, temporary score record book, or match bulletin showingthat you have fired at least 50 shots in an NRA, CMP or USA Shooting sanctioned rifle or pistol competition within the past 5 years.
*A letter from a CMP-affiliated organization official confirming that you have fired at least 50 shots in aninstructional clinic or annual record fire within the past 5 years.
*Proof of firing at least 50 shots in a silhouette shooting competition within the past 5 years.
*A certificate of completion of the rifle or pistol Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry, Ohio within the lastfive years.
*Proof that you competed in any CMP-sanctioned John C. Garand Match within the past 5 years.
*A current military identification card (copy both sides) showing status in an active or reserveor retiredcomponent of the U.S. armed forces.
*Proof of honorable discharge from the U.S. armed services.
*Credentials showing that you are a full-time, part-time, retired or reserve law enforcement officer in adepartment or agency of federal, state or local government.
*Proof that you are 60 years of age or older.

The important one to this discussion is "50 shots in an instructional clinic."  Also, they should accept have accepted the competition because of the "A dated NRA ... you have fired at least 50 shots in an NRA, CMP or USA Shooting sanctioned rifle or pistol competition within the past 5 years."  They're not following their own rules.  If they want to make shooting in a highpower rifle match the requirement, they shouldn't put the other exceptions on their application.

remember, you only have to shoot in the match, not place in the top 3! ... Noone looked down on the 'newbies'

The targets were 100 yards away, and the edges of the targets were only about 10" away from each other.  I'll embarrassingly admit, I can't shoot well enough to hit the paper every time at that range and neither can he.  I just have this fear of hitting someone else's target and messing-up their scoring.  Those guys might not be so nice to the 'newbies' when we mess-up their shooting.  I guess I should ask in the competition forum what to do about this.  Does it normally happen sometimes in a match, and what to do.z
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
And therein lies your problem:

CCW classes are NOT instructional matches. Their purpose is NOT to improve anyone's shooting skills, as is the CMP's mission, but to meet some abitrary bureaucratic requirement for the issuance of a license. Forget that notion if that's your idea of a match. Get on the telephone to the CMP and find out when the next sanctioned match is in your area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Put together a room full of master and high-master shooters and ask them, "Have you ever cross fired someones target?"  I'll bet that at least half of them will say yes, probably more than that.  My sight alignment drill includes checking the target number prior to settling.

I can think of worse brain farts.  Hell, one time I forgot to take my muzzle cap off.  That was REALLY embarassing.  It's even one of the big bright yellow ones by Sinclair so it looked like a meteor.

In other words.  Don't stress out over it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#28]

CCW classes are NOT instructional matches.

The application asks for an instructional clinic, not an instructional match.  Also, the instructor advertises that the class qualifies you for the CMP and for the state concealed carry permits.  I trust the guy, because he is a state police officer.

Get on the telephone to the CMP and find out when the next sanctioned match is in your area.

Did that.  The only one they had listed the last time I called that wasn't on a Sunday morning was over a three hour, each way, drive.  Maybe I'm being picky, but I think they should follow their own stated policies.z
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Also, the instructor advertises that the class qualifies you for the CMP and for the state concealed carry permits.

That's just WRONG due to the ignorance of the individual who gave you that bad dope. Instructional match, clinic, etc. does not include a CCW class. And yes, I think you are being inordinately picky.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#30]
"A letter from a CMP-affiliated organization official confirming that you have fired at least 50 shots in an instructional clinic or annual record fire within the past 5 years."

JD's telling you what you need to do.  I've NEVER heard of CCW instruction used as qualifying criteria.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm almost pretty sure they won't accept the CCW shooting, as it's not a 'match'.

You're right.  They didn't accept it, but according to their own rules, they are supposed to.  I've got his application in a folder in my desk.  

(snip)
The important one to this discussion is "50 shots in an instructional clinic."  Also, they should accept have accepted the competition because of the "A dated NRA ... you have fired at least 50 shots in an NRA, CMP or USA Shooting sanctioned rifle or pistol competition within the past 5 years."  They're not following their own rules.  If they want to make shooting in a highpower rifle match the requirement, they shouldn't put the other exceptions on their application.

remember, you only have to shoot in the match, not place in the top 3! ... Noone looked down on the 'newbies'

The targets were 100 yards away, and the edges of the targets were only about 10" away from each other.  I'll embarrassingly admit, I can't shoot well enough to hit the paper every time at that range and neither can he.  I just have this fear of hitting someone else's target and messing-up their scoring.  Those guys might not be so nice to the 'newbies' when we mess-up their shooting.  I guess I should ask in the competition forum what to do about this.  Does it normally happen sometimes in a match, and what to do.z

Zoom,
Again, I'm hearing you say "we did this and this and this"  but you're not saying WHY the CMP rejected the app.  

What exactly was the reason the CMP gave you/your great nephew, for turning down your application(s)?  Did you even GET a reason why?  Have you called them?  What did they say?

See, the REST of your story could help the rest of us if we also have difficulties, or could help us help you.

M@

edited to add:

And about the match, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHOOT IN IT.  That's it.  That's all.  You could miss every single shot, and not get a single one on paper, and it would meet the CMP requirement.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Zoom:
The instructional class they are talking about is a Rifle / Pistol SAFS " small arms firing school " put on by the military or affiliated clubs. A Billybob CCW class wouldn't work. Just go shoot a match and get it out of the way you just might have fun and you won't go to hell for missing church or whatever on one sunday !!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#34]
FishKepr, thanks for posting that.

WHY the CMP rejected the app.

I didn't say why, because I was just trying to state facts.  I didn't want to guess at the reasons behind the CMP's actions.  If I had guessed why, it would have probably been because I think the CMP is trying to keep the rifles as long as possible because they want to keep their jobs.  When they run out of rifles, they will probably be out of a job so the less rifles they ship, the longer they get their salary.  See, aren't you glad I didn't try to guess why?

I just called them again.  The guy I talked to said they should have accepted his signed target from a match he shot in.  He said the scorecard from the CCW class instructor might be valid, but if and only if it includes a letter from the instructor.  He also said that my great-nephew should fill-out a newer version of the form that is available.  I just downloaded it,  printed it, and filled it out.  Interestingly, it doesn't have the same bulleted list of exceptions.  I'll get my great-nephew to sign it and mail it Monday.  We'll see what they say to the second time around with the target.  The target has the RO's signature, his NRA instructor number, name of the match, date, and location.  I think that should be enough info.  He also said to include a note asking them to call, rather than simply return the packet, if there is a problem.

you won't go to hell for missing church or whatever on one sunday !!!

No, but my great-nephew might; he's a preacher.  Just kidding, but he has taken two Sundays off in the past year.  That's the problem.  I asked the guy at the CMP about other local matches.  I found one other.  It's about 30 miles away at 8 AM on a few Sundays per year.  My great-nephew might have enough time to shoot, change clothes, and get back to church before 11 AM.  I'll have to trackdown someone from the club to see when they think the match will end.z
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
FishKepr, thanks for posting that.

WHY the CMP rejected the app.

I didn't say why, because I was just trying to state facts.  I didn't want to guess at the reasons behind the CMP's actions.  If I had guessed why, it would have probably been because I think the CMP is trying to keep the rifles as long as possible because they want to keep their jobs.  When they run out of rifles, they will probably be out of a job so the less rifles they ship, the longer they get their salary.  See, aren't you glad I didn't try to guess why?

So, by all admissions, you don't know specifically WHY the application was sent back, and didn't find out.  You have made assumptions without all the facts, and started barking up the tree.  We know about assumptions.  
And since the CMP is self sustaining now, meaning, if they don't sell stuff and make money, they go under... why would they NOT want to sell the rifles they have?  Illogical.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, Zoom, I'm just sayin you should get the facts, THEN pursue a remedy, instead of griping about it without knowing everything.  From what I've heard, they CMP people are pretty nice, I'm sure if you call them, they should be helpful.  If ther eare any problems, get the guy's name you talked to, and send the app and info to his attention.  Have him call you if there are any problems, or not.  Let us know how it goes!

M@
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#36]
let me clarify the cmp's money making.....the cmp pays the "gubmint" a set fee for these rifles. the money above expenses goes to junior shooting programs too keep them alive. w/o your money junior programs would be in trouble. also, the cmp has less than 300-400 thousand m1 garands left as to date.maybe less......
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Last time I checked you had to do 1 of the following:
A) Participate in a DCM Clinic
B) fire 50 rounds in an NRA/CMP Highpower Match.
C) Fire 50 rounds in an NRA Silhouette match.

NOTHING else qualifies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#38]

NOTHING else qualifies.

Save for exemptions due to age, veteran status, etc. I used my DD214 and bypassed the match requirement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

NOTHING else qualifies.

Well...taken from today's copy of the CMP Purchase Instructions, Page one, Section four...ahem,

"Have participated in a marksmanship activity where at least fifty rounds of range firing were completed.  You must provide a copy of a results bulletin from a competition or clinic completed with-in the last five years or other proof you fired at least 50 rounds or participated in other CMP approved marksmanship activities.  Providing proof of military or law enforcement service or proof of Distinguished, Instructor or Coach status will satisfy this requirement.  This requirement is waived if proof of age shows you to be at least 60 years of age.  Proof of age not required for purchase of drill rifles."
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Nah, it's got to go to an FFL near you.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  It comes shipped FedEx direct to you in a padded cardboard box.  CMP products get a special dispensation.  That's why CMP does the 4473 and NICS itself before it ships.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I have always found the DCM and now the CMP very reasonable to deal with. They lost my first Garand rifle and when I called and asked about it they said I fell through the cracks, however they sent one out to me right away.

Since then I have delt with themseveral times on the phone or used e-mail to contact them and found it to be a rewarding experience. Everyone has been courteous and helpful.

Try it and see. Just don't go in with a attitude about your problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]
OK OK I've had enough.  I don't shoot at matches and don't really understand the lingo, so forgive a real live dumb ass question.  What the hell are you guys talking about here.  DCM? CMP?  DCMP?  I know they're acronyms for something, but would someone be kind enough to explain for what.  I want to learn as much as I can about shooting and maybe even participate in some matches later.  Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#44]

OK OK I've had enough. I don't shoot at matches and don't really understand the lingo, so forgive a real live dumb ass question. What the hell are you guys talking about here. DCM? CMP? DCMP? I know they're acronyms for something, but would someone be kind enough to explain for what. I want to learn as much as I can about shooting and maybe even participate in some matches later. Thanks for your time.

DCM: Director of Civilian Marksmanship

CMP: Civilian Marksmanship Program

Go here to the CMP's site and it'll give you all of the dope. www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Jim_Dandy.  I appreciate you taking the time for my question and posting the link.  I'll go to my room now and do my homework.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

NOTHING else qualifies.

Not true, there are exemptions for Vets and LEO, go to the web site and read it there...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carl, where did you get that from. It's bad info. The rifle does not have to go to a FFL, they do the NCIC checks before it ships DIRECTLY to YOU!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Alright guys, cut it out...I've steadfastly resisted the temptation to get a CMP Garand for a long time.  Every time one of these threads comes up my evil side makes me print-out another application form.  I'm looking at it right now.  This gets tougher every time.  One of those Winchester M1's is tempting me.  Fortunately I don't know enough about the different rifles to make an intelligent choice.  Yeah, that's what I'll use to convince myself not to order one this time...
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Alright guys, cut it out...I've steadfastly resisted the temptation to get a CMP Garand for a long time.  Every time one of these threads comes up my evil side makes me print-out another application form.  I'm looking at it right now.  This gets tougher every time.  One of those Winchester M1's is tempting me.  Fortunately I don't know enough about the different rifles to make an intelligent choice.  Yeah, that's what I'll use to convince myself not to order one this time...

Dude... owning an M1 Garand is a moral and patriotic DUTY!!  Order yourself a Winchester.  The US Service Grade Winchesters should all have been WWII production and should be great!  Check out www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand for some good info.  I'm waiting for my paperwork from the John C Garand match I shot last weekend, and I'm sending in my app... can't wait to get my Garand!

M@
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Dude... owning an M1 Garand is a moral and patriotic DUTY!!  Order yourself a Winchester.  The US Service Grade Winchesters should all have been WWII production and should be great!  Check out www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand for some good info.  I'm waiting for my paperwork from the John C Garand match I shot last weekend, and I'm sending in my app... can't wait to get my Garand!

M@

I'm with you on the everyone should have an M-1 thing. The service grade Winchesters have all been WWII production for a good reason. Winchester only made M-1's during WWII. They only produced around 500,000 of them. That's the main reason they are considered the most collectable of the standard issue M-1's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top