Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 6:11:09 PM EDT
I just got a 870 from a friend and I want to take off the buttstock for the speed-feed I just aquired. I am haveing problems breaking the bolts though. I have soaked it in break free for 3 days and twisted the heads of Craftsman screw drivers. I havent yet messed up the bolt that bad, but I just cant break the damn thing

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just one bolt, right?  Pull the two screws out to remove the recoil pad, stick long and huge screwdriver down the hole, crank that bastard, using a crescent wrench for extra leverage on the screwdriver handle.  When I say big screwdriver, I mean *really* big.  Don't know what to say if it won't come undone, mine did.  Did you try rapping the inserted screwdriver with a hammer a few times?

Problem solved, I hope.

Now, can you fix the paper jam on my HP laserjet?  Seems if you jam the paper just so and can't get it out, you're screwed.

Guess that's why I like guns better than computer stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive tried a good sice craftsman and Ive twisted the blade on it. Because I used a wrench for added leverage. What other kinds of lube have good penetrateing capabilities?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What other kinds of lube have good penetrateing capabilities?

Liquid Wrench and WD-40 are great penetrators.  I'm sure there are better, but those are the ones I have experience with.  Better check the label to make sure they won't harm anything they might touch!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if it is factory Loc-Tited on there.  If so, Loc-Tite marks solvent designed to undo the threadlock.  WD40 also penetrates well.  You are spraying the threads from inside the receiver I take it?  Did you try the "rap it" suggestion?

Have you actually seen the head of the bolt down the hole in the buttstock?  Slotted?  One shotgun I took the stock off of, might've been a Mossberg, had a hex head rather than a screwdriver.  Maybe that's a stupid question, but who knows, maybe not.

Don't forget to take your screwdriver back to Sears and bitch for a new one!

BTW, the screwdriver I used literally was almost the size of a tire iron.  WAY bigger than the ordinary "big screwdriver."  

Buena suerte.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya its a slotted head. I already took back the cradtsman, and I also tried a new driver today. The damn thing was almost 2 feet long. It barely fit into the slot. With the added torque of the bigger ahndle we still couldnt budge it. Im going to get some liquid wrench and wd-40 tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Righty - Tighty, Lefty - Loosey?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
you might want to try one of those impact drivers that you hit with a hammer.  They do wonders :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn!  I took the stock off a brand new 870 not too long ago.  A little muscle, broke the bolt free and came right off.

How old is this thing?  I'm thinking maybe it was assembled (or reassembled) incorrectly at one point?  Maybe its cross-threaded and seized up real good?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not had that much of a problem getting one off except on a .22 rifle that had been in the rain. When I did get it off I found the screw had rust built up around it and swelled up into the wood around it. Same in the screw hole at the end of the receiver. I use a 2 foot screw driver and hammer. You might try driving it and turning it in just to get it loose. It may compress the wood under the head enough to give it some slack and remove pressure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I know the thing is about 3 years old. I work with the guy I bought it from and hes not a gun guy. He only shot one round through it and then stuffed it under his bed. He wanted to have some home protection I guess. I know he didnt remove any parts on it, thats way beyond him. Im going to try those hammer drivers and some more lube

More lube is always good!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
When it comes to a penertrating oil, get
some that does not have a lubricant in it,
like the stuff that comes from Justice Brothers,
i.e. auto part store ( I'm a mechanic in
Minnesota, and we know about rust and frozen
bolts, if that does not work, you are already
to replace the stock, (by doing it this way
you will ruin the old stock but not the gun)
take a dremal tool and grind away  the wooden stock around the bolt shank where you could get a pair of vise grips on it, and be able to get
right at the threads with the penertrating oil.
the most extreme method would be, after the stock has been grounded away from the shank of the bolt, heat it with a heat gun (NO Torch)
then hit the shank with freon (R12) not R134A,
R134a is amonia base, and would be not good to breath in, by spraying R12 on the shank would shrink the bolt threads making it easy to come out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

the most extreme method would be, after the stock has been grounded away from the shank of the bolt, heat it with a heat gun (NO Torch)
then hit the shank with freon (R12) not R134A,
R134a is amonia base, and would be not good to breath in, by spraying R12 on the shank would shrink the bolt threads making it easy to come out.

Jeez dude, aren't ya worried at all about putting a hole in the sky????

Just kiddin! I wish I could get my hands on a nice 30lb cyl of R12!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya no kidding, here in CA its like life in prison for doing something like that. (Extreme sarcasm) But we have access to other spray liquids that are very cold. SO I might try that too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a tip.  Get a propper hollow ground bit when you use the impact driver.  Superiority of hollow ground bits cannot be stressed enough - night and day difference in the grip on the head slot.

Tate
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]
As a LAST RESORT, you could let Bobthenailer's wife run over the shotgun with her truck to "loosen it up".

Tate
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As a LAST RESORT, you could let Bobthenailer's wife run over the shotgun with her truck to "loosen it up".

Tate

ROTFLMAO !!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Wierd. The most common problem with 870s is the buttstock coming loose. I see one every month or so where the constant motion of the patrol car has worked the bolt loose and given a wobbly buttstock.

Use a big scredriver and muscle it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top