Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
Do you carry your semi-auto with a round chambered or do you count on racking your slide in a tough situation.

Revolver people take a little lunch break...
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think pulling on the slide looks stupid in a movie.  I think it would be dumber in person.  Most new handguns are pretty safe as long as they aren't in the "cocked" position.  My S&W 4013 is first round DA then SA on subsequent shots.  I feel very safe leaving a round chambered.  I would feel very unsafe trying to free my second in time to unneccessarily rack the slide in an emergency.  Many people argue about this but I think if you are consious enough to safely carry a firearm you are probably comfortable enough with it to do this.  Just my thoughts but it is your safety that matters.  Do what you are most comfortable with.  Still quicker to chamber one then ask an aggresser to kindly leave you alone!

Jamie
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
condition one
cocked and locked
nuff said
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Got Glock,ready to rock.ALWAYS one in the hole.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Without being locked ond loaded I would feel like Barney Fife and try to get the bullet out of my shirt pocket.

Bob B
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
One in the pipe.  Always.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
One in the chamber on my Seecamp .32. I figure if I ever have to use it(hopefully NEVER) The last thing I'm going to have to concern myself with is "did I rack the slide on this thing?" I'm probably going to be busier dealing with the situation than worrying about "gee, is this thing in battery or not?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Why bother to carry if it ain't ready to rock?? I was taught not to present a firearm you don't intend to shoot, and not to shoot someone you don't mean to kill.

1 in the pipe
+10 in the mag
---------------
 1 big F***ing hole
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotta remove the trigger lock too, and flick of the safety.

Then you can throw the trigger lock at'em. just don't forget to reinstall it when they run away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Always...

If you had to use your weak arm to defend yourself while drawing with the other, how would you rack the slide?  USP .40c, one in the tube with a double-action first shot, followed by several single-action suggestions to leave me alone.

I can't believe you asked this question, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
There is an Isreali shooting system that stresses racken the slide as you draw and present. No doubt it could give you precious seconds if it was take from you before you could draw so you could pull a back up. I'm gonna practice it to see how fast I can get.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
One in the Chamber, HAMMER BACK and safety on. Got COLT?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Always...

If you had to use your weak arm to defend yourself while drawing with the other, how would you rack the slide?  USP .40c, one in the tube with a double-action first shot, followed by several single-action suggestions to leave me alone.

You are making an assumption that I don't carry with a round chambered.  That would be a bad assumption on your part.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#15]
One in the hole, and ready to go, or you may be the one to go in the hole...a hole about seven feet long, three wide, and six deep.

Round in chamber, hammer back, safety on. (With a 1911 class mechanism)  

I would not recommend carrying a 1911 style automatic with the hammer DOWN on the chamber, which means the safety will be off.  Can you draw and automatically cock the hammer with your thumb without dropping the hammer by accident?  If you drop the hammer with your thumb and the firing pin strikes hard enough to fire the round, that slide's going to come back and dislocate your thumb at best, and cut it off at worst.

Use a functionally similar setup with other guns. If you have a DA, then hammer down is of course just fine.

The issue is that if you NEED your carry gun, you probably need it NOW.  No time to fumble with it.  The less you have to do to bring it to shooting condition, the better, but you DO need one reliable and easy to handle safety engaged when carrying.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Basically, the way I see it is, if someone wants to carry a concealed handgun without a round in the chamber.......why bother?

In today's anti-gun, law suit, knee jerk environment just carry a brick in your backpack and you will be as well prepared as having no round in the chamber. And much less likely to stir the "anti's" hornets nest. Not to mention, at this time, there is no requirement to register your bricks or take any special classes prior to carrying them.

Always one in the chamber for me.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
 Don't laugh....it was a valid question.....and BTW....the Canadian MP's carry their Browning HP's with an empty chamber. They are VERY accomplished at drawing and racking in one smooth motion.
 And several years ago I spoke with either a Calgary or Edmonton cop that related  when they first went from revolvers to autos they carried with an empty chamber for a few months.

FN
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on which gun I'm carrying:

USPc:  One in the tube, decocked, safety on.
P32:  One in the tube
G33:  One in the tube

So yes, I always have one in the tube.  What's the point in carrying a gun if it isn't ready to go at a moment's notice?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
One in the pipe, always.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Condition One - Cocked & Locked.
It's the only way to fly!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#21]
1911 condition one cocked/locked and one in the chamber.  Safe, accurate, fast and hard-hitting.

Deucer01
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I know I am in the minority on this one...but here it goes.  I usually carry in a Galco shoulder holster.  I ALWAYS obey the first rule of firearm safety and never point a gun at anything I do not intend to destroy.  I mentally can't accept that while my piece is riding horizonally under my shoulder it is sweeping past hundreds of unintended targets.  Therefore I elect to carry Isralei style, safety off, no round in the chamber.  I also practice drills racking the slide with only one arm and even though it is not as effective, one can become quite profient.  Occaisonally I do carry strong side hip and when doing so I carry cocked and locked (Springfield 1911).  Bottom line, you have to be comfortable with how you want to carry, just practice drawing and preparing to fire the weapon so you are the best you can be with your method of carry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry with one in the chamber (Glock 30). Never thought much about it, but having to rack the slide seems sorta silly. Just thinking about trying it in an IDPA match, much less in real life, gives me the giggles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#24]
If all of the safty features of a modern hand gun fail at once, I would be thinking that it was coming to you no matter what. I am not sure that the odds of all these safty features failing would be, but I can say it must be very slim. I would always carry one in the chamber.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#25]
1911A1 Condition 1.
Glock G30=1 in the tube,10 in the on deck circle.

Is it dangerous? Isn't that the point?
Training,discipline,and constant awareness of what it is one is about,where one is,and working within limitations for the safety of EVERYONE is what it is about.
If one is to carry,he had better be damned well ready,and convinced to use it if needed.
If not,leave the thing at home untill so.
The Isrealis teach Condition 3 for civillian carry with the Highpower,as it saves training time and allows for a "Dumbed down" course that is overall more effective for the masses in a limited amount of training time.
We are individuals,and govern our own level of training,and state of ready.
Train and practice,and let your own concience dictate how you carry,and when.
I would rather have you in cond.1 than 3 when SHTF though.I will be.
S-28

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
In my Glock, always one in the pipe.  In my colt, Condition One, always.  I was taught that John designed the 1911 to be carried thus, and who am I to question a designing genius...lol.  Seriously, I have had this argument out with a friend who is just getting his CCW.  He carries a P90DC, and some idiot told him it would fire if the hammer was dropped accidentally on a round in the chamber.  I.E., without his finger on the trigger...even showed him Rugers website that explains their safety hammer block design.  His response was "safeties can fail".  So...I told him Good Luck on racking your slide when the guy is running at you or inside a couple yards.  Then told him to read about the Dennis Tueller studies...lol.  Oh well...one in the pipe would be correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
 Guess I am the minority here but I DO NOT Feel the need to carry one chambered . My kids know firearm safety but their friends may not .
( not that I just keep guns lying around )
I try to be aware of my surroundings enough to give me at least 2-3 seconds of response time which should be long enough to rack the slide . I feel more comfortable this way than chambered .
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Always...

You are making an assumption that I don't carry with a round chambered.  That would be a bad assumption on your part.

Nope, no assumption made.  The question seemed like something a newby would ask, and I hadn't taken you for a newby.  No flame intended, and if that's the way you took it, I apologize.  But I've yet to meet anyone that carried an auto loader without one in the chamber, civilians or police.  I'm still unclear why anyone would, given the choice.  Granted, I've not yet been to Canada or Israel...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Of course!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Always in the pipe. My primary CCW pistol is a DA/SA with a decocker.
I would not even think of carrying without one in the chamber, which is why I don't carry my beloved 1911, and instead carry Colt's attempt to make the 1911 a DA/SA...and why I am watching the local range for a Para LDA to beg a few tryout shots from.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Absolutely!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I will make this as simple as an answer as possible. I carry my Glocks without them being chambered. I practice my drawing skills so that I have them committed to muscle memory and I have no fears carrying my pistols that way. I have three kids and I prefer to keep my weapons unchambered because of this reason. If I didn't have kids then maybe I would carry them chambered but untill they are grown then I will carry the way that I feel safest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I carry my Kimber disassembled in a fanny pack. I carry 4 empty magazines and a box of ammo. If I encounter a dngerous situation I figure I'll be ready to fight in about 2.725 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Cocked locked and ready to rock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#36]
An unloaded firearm is a beautiful, finely-crafted, very expensive piece of plastic and metal that makes a very poor club.  I think I may make that my signature line....

Glock 30, 10+1, usually open-carry in fobus holster.  I'm here because of my "little friend."  Don't underestimate the need to activate yours (if you need it, 2 seconds will be an eternity).  Don't underestimate TRAINING - the rest is simple motor skills and fight or flight.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes in reference to the 1911 some of the mk 1v (made in the eightys) on the first cock the trigger will definatly engage the firing pin(enough that if you put a ball point pen in it and try this it will launche it about six feet through the air (on full cock it will launch it about 12 feet ) That first cock is not a safety as it only assures you that if you are trying to pull back the hammer and it does accidently slip (with out your middle of palm safty on and finger on the trigger) it will not discharge. But yes 0n the 1911 full cocked and locked.. Just around the house(when the door comes crashing in ) you can feel you may have the added time to rack the slide.. but if you rack the slide and ramp failure does happen it would be better it happened before the door was kicked in than during..  one in the pipe and seven more to get the job done!  bob cole
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Always.  One in the pipe, thirteen more rounds of 180gr 40S&W JHPs in the mag.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
 One is in the chamber, and several more waiting their turn in that cramped little magazine. Condition one... 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top