Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 1:28:06 PM EDT
I just bought a Bushmaster postban 16" M4 with a Y comp break.  OUCH!! Man the damn thing is loud.  Not to sure I like the thing.  I would sooner have a regular barreled upper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  I avoid brakes when possible, but have been thinking about getting one for my .300WM.  Did you not know they are louder?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yep.   but have been thinking about getting one for my .300WM.  

glutton for punishment?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually I have been thinking harder about getting a can for it.  A brake would be nice to tame the recoil on it though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I had no idea a break made it that much louder.  I never thought I would ever find an AR that I hated (Upper anyway)  I have all A1 preban uppers on my other AR's and they all shoot real well.  This large hole A2 is all over compared to my other uppers.  I put a A1 sight aperture in it and tossed the ghost ring  style that was in it.  If this does not streighen it out look for a Bushmaster upper posted real cheap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I just installed an EGW Race Comp on a 16" AR. The 16" plain barrel was easily as loud as my 20" gun with a JP comp so I figured adding the comp to the 16" wouldn't make it any worse. I don't think it did; it's very loud both ways.

One added benefit is in low light shooting. The comp doesn't reduce muzzle flash at all, but it at least redirects it to the sides so I'm not looking through an 18" fireball.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I notice a very big difference.  Maybe it is the type of comp that does it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone tried the pistols that have been out with the short barrels. I have a very noisy and old mid-60's vintage Bushmaster pistol. It has the standard grip in front of the magazine on a metal sleeve that goes around the barrel. The whole gun swivels on the grip and sleeve. The magazine can rest on the forarm of the shooter in either the right or left forarm. Ejection is through the top. The action is AR type in a modified closed receiver, trigger operates from the front with a long bar to work the sear. Bolt is activated by an Ak type piston and op-rod over the barrel. Makes alot of NOISE with the standard flash hider as barrel is about 10 inches. Had to put a long flash hider to stand the noise and ear plugs also. It was not very reliable. Uses standard AR mag. Any comments on it or the newer ones. It only has a pointed stationary bar at the front for a sight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I avoid brakes when possible, but have been thinking about getting one for my .300WM.  

Thats crazy talk! I once shot a Browning auto (BAR) in .300WM with BOSS brake. LOUD!
Mine is pre-safari and pre-BOSS :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Actually I have been thinking harder about getting a can for it.  A brake would be nice to tame the recoil on it though.

cans are even better at taming recoil than muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going to have a mini Y-comp installed on my 20 inch barrels, but then I heard someone fire that setup and changed my mind.  I stick with a plain crowned muzzle, and the ammo I shoot doesn't generate a visible flash in daylight, and I don't shoot at night.

That'll do until the AW ban expires and then I'll put an A1 or A1 flash hider on it, and that'll control the muzzle well enough.

Oh..that Bushmaster pistol:  That's called a Bushmaster Armpistol.  The earliest ones are marked Gwinn Firearms, which became Bushmaster.
An interesting design, but it had its problems. It is mildly collectible if it's in good shape.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Win 338 mag thats Magna Ported, It's not much louder than stock and pretty efective.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep.   but have been thinking about getting one for my .300WM.  

glutton for punishment?

Girly men!  Sit down at the bench with my Ruger No.1 and put 10 rounds of .416 Rigby down range.  Then go back to your so called "Magnum" and see just how mild it really is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I kind of wonder where everyone is coming from on the Bushmaster Y-break... I've had mine out a few times and it's downright reasonable for a muzzle break. Granted I've only shot it with hearing protection in place, but after one outing without notcing anything particularly strange I even had someone else shoot it as I moved around it to try and find this outrageous noise. The only thing the experiment did was impress the shooter in the lack of rise/recoil/etc.

I've seen some muzzle breaks blow boxes around  on next-over benches (granted not with .223) and the Bushy mini-Y is positively a pussy cat in comparison.

I guess it's all relative...
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot winter, spring, summer and fall, snow rain or sun.  I love to shoot my AR's and it was very noticeable to me.  I am not whining about it I just don't like it.  Man if I hunted with this upper and shot it I would not hear nothing but ringing for a week.  Hell the 458 SOCOM upper I shot did not seem as loud.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I love to shoot my AR's and it was very noticeable to me.  I am not whining about it I just don't like it.

That's cool... I certainly wasn't trying to say that it wasn't loud or that you should like it. It's just I haven't seen anyone say anything here but bad things about it...

KKF can replace it legally if you don't like it with a more 'traditional' looking brake that's probably not as loud.

Most important thing is to enjoy what you're shooting!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an AR10A2 that I am trying to sell for this reason.

Great at the range, but lousy for plinking!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
BRAKE

not break.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top