Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 6:26:31 AM EDT
I'm in need of a good turkey gun and I've been looking at a Rem 11-87 SuperMag.  Has anyone had any experience with this shotgun?  I've shot plenty of pump 3.5" mags but never an auto.  Any drawbacks to an automatic?

Also, has anyone shot any of Remington's new hevi-shot?  Looks like pretty cool stuff.

ques
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Ques86, I own several Remington 1100's 1-12 gauge , 1-20 gauge and 1-.410. The 12 and 20 are 2 3/4" only so I do not use them for turkeys. The .410 is 3" only but not a turkey gun. They all work very well but because they are used for skeet shooting each week they must be cleaned each week. This will not be a problem with a turkey gun that will be shot very little.                                                                                       The 3 1/2" is to much in a pump. I shot the 11-87 12 gauge 3 1/2" and the SP-10 10 gauge 3 1/2" and they reduce the recoil greatly. I planned to buy the 11-87 SPS-T RS/TG with the tru glo rifle sights but could not come up with the money $700.00 and I priced the shit out of it. If you buy by the end of April Remington is offering a $75.00 rebate on the web site. It is a great gun that I will get sooner or later, hopefully sooner. I am going on vacation, if I have any money left over I will get one. MIKE.                                                                                                                                           PS the Hevi-shot must be shot out of steel shot rated choke tubes, no extra full lead only choke tubes. Remington is coming out with Hevi-Shot rated turkey chokes but they have not reached the dealers yet. If you want to use the Hevi-Shot with standard steel chokes start with the modified choke. I got 90% with my mod tube.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ques86, it looks like I'm your man. I bought a Remington 11-87 SPS-T 3 1/2" Turkey Gun RS/TG Camo shotgun last April. It has the Tru-Glo rifle sights and Mossy Oak camo. I traded a 3 1/2" 870 just like it. I got it the evening before the turkey season opener here in Indiana last year. Sad to say, but I did not even get a chance to pattern it. My first shot dropped a nice tom like a hammer. That is the only shot I have fired from it. With turkey season a few weeks away, I need to get it out and practice. I prefer the Federal Premium Magnum turkey loads in #4 or #6. These shotguns sell for $710 at my local dealer and are worth every penny, or so I believe from my "one shot, one kill"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top