Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would've at least tried to make off with the bolt, carrier and charging handle!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What son of a bitch is responsible for this?

The AR's one item that I would have had to try to salvage, with the other being the fine Browning Auto 5 shotgun...and the scope on that other rifle if it was a good scope.

It should be illegal to destroy a functional firearm that has some value to it.

Certainly it's a crime in MY book, anyway.

I'm assuming, based on the tags, that these were police seizures.

Did they stop to consider how much money they just burned, at least?   They could have raised several thousand dollars for equipment and supplies if they chose to do so, or they could have selected the most suitable of these guns
as service guns for the police to use.

If I ran that steel mill I'd have told them 'screw you, bub. My property, my furnaces, and no gun goes into them.  But I'll take them off your hands for you if you want.'

CJ
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad the "daily account bandwith has been exceeded" so I don't have to see the horrors. Just reading the responses makes me sad/mad.

Why didn't you grab em' if they were just going to be melted anyway?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about the bandwidth limit.  I just signed up on this host and did not realize the limit.
These are everything.  Police seizures, surrender program…, if it is in the evidence / property room and released for disposal, it is in there.  It would have been real tough making off with these.  There were 7-armed uniforms and 3 detectives.  Literally a really big deal.  They kept a close eye on me while I took the photos.  We do A LOT of these.  Local PD and County Sheriff (local and other),  State Police, FBI and DEA have been in.  Real cloak and dagger stuff.  They can or will not consider sale or auction because of the possible ramifications of the liberals who have made our justice system so vulnerable.  Buy one of these guns and if it killed someone their family would sue the agency involved and get millions.  Remember guns kill people – people don’t kill people.  Get rid of the guns and nobody would need to die.  Wait a minute, I got that backwards again.  95% of this stuff is junk and is no loss.  But that other 5% is very nice.  

Anyone know a good web host for pics like this???
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
They are willing to sell\auction you just about everything else they ever confiscated from any illegal action.....ie. cars and boats.  Strange how the public seems to be so brainwashed into believing guns are so evil that they are willing to let such a potential for funds just get trashed.  What harm is there in auctioning them off to those legally able to own them?  It's almost as if they are saying....."Look we don't trust any of you with these and we would rather throw them away than offer them to you."  Something very wrong about that if you ask me!!  We need to start a petition to stop such gross mismanagement of a resource.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You should definitely talk to the mill management and see if you can persuade them that this is not something the mill should be involved in.  Hopefully you will be able to make an impact and get them to turn away these senseless gun meltings.

Maybe you can get the staff metallurgist to say some very unkind things about what the foreign materials in these guns does to the melt.  Introducing uncontrolled amounts of aluminum (as in AR's and scopes) and other material can't be good for your steel product, so maybe you can get the meltings to stop for reasons of quality control.

You could (and I think should) try, at least.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanna see, I WANNA SEE! [>(]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
These are going to be destroyed no matter what.  It is legislated in some areas and departmental policy in others.  
I didn’t post this for a debate on right and wrong.  We all know it is wrong.  And it is a crying shame.  It goes on regularly through out the country.  Like I said 95% are junk anyway.  It is that 5% that makes you sick.  
As far as the quality aspect, they do absolutely no harm.  We introduce much worse than this ourselves, and the product is no worse.  Has to do with the fact that we refine before we cast.  
And remember there are a lot of Officers that are VERY glad these are off the streets.  Many LEOs I know are actually very nervous around guns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I work at a Steel Mill and these all became liquid today.

I got a nice "daily account bandwidth exceeded" picture, they became liquid? let me know if you need a host for your image... I got alot of webspace
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad used to work in a mint and BURN pallots and pallots of money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]

We need to start a petition to stop such gross mismanagement of a resource.

We could start an "Adopt a Gun" program

This is as bad as gassing puppies isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#13]
NEW HOST PICTURES THERE NOW ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Seeing the pics reminds me of when I was a prosecutor.  I would go down to the evidence section of the local P.D. to look at evidence, and one of the cops was a fellow gun nut and would let me go play in the "gun room" where they kept all the seized guns.  Mostly guns used in crimes or seized from felons, stuff like that.  The good thing was that anything that didn't have a serial number was fair game, so if I needed sights, mags, springs, or other non-marked parts I could take them.  Unfortunately, the AR lowers were off-limits.  

Although most of the stuff was junk, there was some stuff that made you cry when you knew what was going to happen to it.  Not just nice pre-bans, but guns with some historical value as well.  Everything went into the smelter.  

The best part, though, was the fact that they couldn't burn the ammo that they seized, so they'd give it away to other cops (and the occasional friendly prosecutor).  I got a lot of free 9mm. .38, .22, and shotgun ammo.  No .223 - the cops would take that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top