Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 12:52:08 PM EDT
A while back, there was a thread about coloring the lettering (such as fire, safe, etc.) on guns.  I can't remember what was used to do it.  Anyone else remember that thread?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm we have a "How To" on coloring the sight markings at the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site.  Idea is the same - probably uses the same materials.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't remember that thread, but I've had great luck with Testor's model paint.  You slap it over the text you want to paint.  After it dries, you remove the paint from the surface with a small piece of cloth dampened with the Testor's paint thinner.  You hold the cloth tight to keep it out of the lettering.  The paint thinner easily removes the paint from the surface.z
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I use China markers. Primarily read and white.  You just rub it over the lettering until it fills in.  Then use a paper towel to rub off the excess.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a wax pencil from an art supply store. Rub it over the leters and wipe off whatever is on the lower.

Works fine.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a guy who does custom work on saxophones, real high end stuff. One of his tricks is to fill in the engraving with crayon, purple being a favorite color. Just scribble over the engraving, and wipe all the excess off. Looks really wild.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I used Testor's Enamel model car paint. Just dob it in the letters and wipe off the excess.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
High tech - Crayola Crayons!!  Yes I am serious.  Just try it.  You can read all about this over at glocktalk.com also.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I did mine with the wifes fingernail polish, arctic white for safe and red for fire. Just paint it over the letters, dab some polish remover on a rag and wipe away the excess.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the original thread used Porcelain paint.

The other stuff will wash off with solvent and you then have to redo it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
one question.............!

why paint or fill the lettering in the first place ??????

is it for others to see or for the owner/shooter ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
i used acrylic paint, excess wiped off with a damp paper towel. why? it makes the range settings and arrows and such easier to read in poor light. and because it's yet another way we can play with our guns.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent.  Thanks for all the replies!!

-Chimborazo
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

-Chimborazo

What method did you finally decide on?

I was thinking of a wax pencil or Crayola crayon. Easy to apply and remove. If it gets dirty, I can scrape it out and redo it cheaply, or restore it back to original condition/finish.

I was also wondering about the temperature of the receiver-- will the wax melt when doing some heavy firing? What is the melting point and how hot does the receiver get?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I read this......went looking for my nephews crayons.....picked out red and white, and went to town on my m4.  10 minutes later I was astonished, the wax filled in PERFECT.  Like everyone says, just wipe away (with a little elbow grease) the access.  Great little inside trick guys :).
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
one question.............!

why paint or fill the lettering in the first place ??????

is it for others to see or for the owner/shooter ?

Because it looks cool
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Liquid paper.
ARH
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I read this......went looking for my nephews crayons.....picked out red and white, and went to town on my m4.  10 minutes later I was astonished, the wax filled in PERFECT.  Like everyone says, just wipe away (with a little elbow grease) the access.  Great little inside trick guys :).

Common trick-- only thing I have been wondering is if the wax will hold up with the heat and dirt?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Just tried the crayons.  Worked ok for the SAFE and FIRE, but was lousy on the Bushmaster symbol (snake).  It would have worked well on the Rock River Arms, but the engraving itself is not a consistant depth and width so I took it off...
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Chimborazo

What method did you finally decide on?

I was thinking of a wax pencil or Crayola crayon. Easy to apply and remove. If it gets dirty, I can scrape it out and redo it cheaply, or restore it back to original condition/finish.

I was also wondering about the temperature of the receiver-- will the wax melt when doing some heavy firing? What is the melting point and how hot does the receiver get?

Haven't done it yet...I'm doing it tonight.  Now I just have to decide on colors.  I'm doing Crayola first because it seems like the easiest one to undo.  I'm also going to do my Glock and Kimber.  I'll let you know how it goes.  As for the heat, by lower never really seems to get hot enough.  However, handgun slides do get pretty hot, so we'll see how that holds up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top