Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 10:07:42 PM EDT

I'm considering swapping out my stock trigger on my Bushmaster Shorty 16" for something better.

I've tried several but I'd like the collective wisdom of the board here.

I'm looking for something substantial enough for field use, but with a bit more... how do I say... finnesse.  Nothing to high strung...

Has anyone tried triggers of this description in a field rifle with good results?  What might you recommend?  JP?  Others?

Let me know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Field or match.  That's all there is, no in between.  Of course, it is not terribly likely that you could ever give a match trigger enough "field use" to break it.

JP is good, so is Timney.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Tatjana,
I like the accuracy speaks triggers.
They are non-adustable,and must be fitted.
The hammer hooks are full depth,so there is less an issue of crud getting in the way,but they are nice and light,without the issue of the hammer following the carrier when fitted correctly.
I have installed several dozen Timneys,and they are were all a pain in the BUTT!
If the Geometry is wrong,turning a screw to reduce sear engagement is no cure!
I hear ya on the field use aspect.
I like simple cuz simple is hard to corrupt with MUNG!
Good luck any way you go!
S-28
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The RRA 2-stage triggers have worked well for me. I just assembled my third rifle containing one today, and I have a feeling the other rifles which don't have them will soon. I put together a rifle with an Armalite 2-stage ( I guess they call it "National Match") once and that was also really, really nice.

I like the fact that these are non-adjustable (short of stoning etc) and rather simple; JP look like they have too many parts which could break.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto the Accuracy Speaks trigger...!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=99675
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
tatjana,

I have a Bushmaster Shorty 16", and after a year, the stock trigger started to creep awfully.

I looked around, and being relatively poor then, I settled on Compass Lake trigger offered by Frank White:
http://www.compasslake.com/trigger.htm

I sent my lower receiver in to him for the trigger to be installed, although you can do it yourself if you are so inclined.

After I received it back, the stock disconnector spring chose that moment to go bad, but Frank White helped me through diagnosing the cause of the problem, and replacing that part at no charge to me, even though it was not really his fault.

The trigger is delightful to use; it breaks very cleanly and crisply, and I have not had any trouble in the last four years, despite shooting hundreds of rounds and a thousand more dry fire clicks through it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Single stage=Accuracy Speaks

Two stage=RRA National Match

I just ordered another RRA last week, but from Donnie at www.sableco.net this time.

$102.30(grand total) had it in my mailbox 2 days latter.

Neither the RRA or AS have set screws in their design, but produce excellant pulls & weights. Definatly the most simple and rugged disigns available in aftermarkets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The RRA 2-stage triggers have worked well for me. I just assembled my third rifle containing one today, and I have a feeling the other rifles which don't have them will soon. I put together a rifle with an Armalite 2-stage ( I guess they call it "National Match") once and that was also really, really nice.

I like the fact that these are non-adjustable (short of stoning etc) and rather simple; JP look like they have too many parts which could break.

Same here.  Drops right in, no fitting and no adjustments.  Really improves over the standard trigger setup.  There are better triggers, but the RRA works fine and is a good deal for the money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Armalite NM triggers and they work well and are good for field use because they aren't adjustable.  However, the RRA triggers appear to be very similar and less expensive, so check them out first.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Very happy with my RRA
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the RRA two stage trigger setup. It was easy to install into my SOCOM lower. I did not like how the SOCOM setup for the trigger adjustments on the lower. It took to long of a setup to get the trigger set propperly to my taste.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Tatjana...I've gone to the RRA trigger in 2 of my ARs.  They are working out really well for me...
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the RRA 2 stage, they are sweet!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
A lot of people don't like it, but I had a Bushmaster N/M two-stage trigger in mine (hey, I was on a budget, so cut me some slack!), and it worked perfectly. Gave the weapon a really good feel to the trigger, though it took a little while for the first stage to smooth out. Polish the pins, and I used tetra gun grease on the trigger mechanism. After awhile, I decided to go back to a single-stage trigger, but still have a light pull. I kept the N/M trigger itself (AND spring), but put the factory selector back in it. The N/M trigger has a shallower angle at the sear than a factory trigger does, so I ended up with a single-stage trigger with a pull of around 2lbs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two of the JP enterprises trigger systems and they really rock.  The instructions tell you how to work the adjustments for pre-travel and over-travel back and forth to get a "nice" pull.  After the first attempt I was already at a point were the trigger was better than any bolt gun off the shelf.  The JP system uses a different spring (supplied) and a light weight hammer (if you buy it) the geometry is different than stock triggers, there is no caming of the hammer before the release.  I have been shooting one long enough to were out a JP comp and had great results.  Of course I don't bench rest, I just blaze through ammo like there is no tomorrow.  I have also been accused of having a "full auto weapon" by our range masters.  I usually have to let them open the gun before they take my work for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a JP single stage and a RRA two-stage. I don't have any qualms about using the JP in a field gun, tho some might since it has adjustment screws. I loc-tited them when I installed the trigger and they haven't loosened up on me. The JP is sweet, no creep whatsoever and I haven't measured the pull but it's about 3 - 3.5 lbs. Think of it as an enhanced stock trigger system. The JP required minor fitting to get the safety to engage, but follow the instructions and it's relatively easy.

The RRA is non-adjustable, an advantage in a field gun, if you can get used to the two stage pull. My RRA dropped right in but some may require fitting.

OTOH, the Accuracy Speaks trigger may be just what you're looking for, as it has no adjustment screws. I have no experience with the Accuracy Speaks but those who do seem to like it. It's a single stage that must be fitted and it can be set to 3 - 4.5 lbs. HTH
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I've pretty much decided against two stage triggers, despite some of the excellent comments here.  I'd love to hear more from people who've used accuracy speaks or other single stage triggers that are simple, unlikely to break and a bit crisper.

All of your advice has been terriffic!  AR15.com comes through again.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll throw in another vote for the Accuracy Speaks trigger.  The trigger is very simple, basically just the regular trigger and hammer but they the metal has much better hardening and is made to much tighter tolerances.  Gives a very crisp break using the standard springs (no light primer hits), isn't any more prone to breakage than the standard trigger and there's no set screws or anything to go out of adjustment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Very happy with my RRA

Is the consensus, that it usually drops in without fitting, and does anyone have a lot of rounds on one? i.e. does it hold up?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]
The only non standard single stage AR-15 trigger I've ever seen.

Is colt's enhancedAR-15 trigger that they put in their accurized  CR-6724 model rifle.
It's basically a light smooth pulling single stage trigger.
I have seen them for sale before in places like R-guns.
But being that its a colt product who knows if it will fit in a non colt receiver.
Besides colts enhanced trigger every other after market trigger I've ever seen was 2 stage.

However i like raf, would like to give a high recommendation to the millzano-kreiger two stage trigger.
I just wish I could find another without having to drive to camp perry to get it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The only non standard single stage AR-15 trigger I've ever seen.

So what you're saying it that you've never seen the Accuracy Speaks trigger.

Is colt's enhancedAR-15 trigger that they put in their accurized  CR-6724 model rifle.
It's basically a light smooth pulling single stage trigger.
I have seen them for sale before in places like R-guns.
But being that its a colt product who knows if it will fit in a non colt receiver.

I have one in my Match Target and it is very nice, especially at roughly half the price of the Accuracy Speaks unit, but it also about half the unit that the AS unit is.  Also, it is made for Colt's Match Target guns and uses their larger action pins.  The only way you could use it in a Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, etc. or a pre-ban Colt is if you drilled out the holes in the reciever.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been impressed with the JP. Properly installed and using a STOCK hammer spring should yeild you a 3.5 to 4 lb trigger that will bust any primer on the planet! JP's hammer spring will lighten the pull but may affect ignition reliability with Mil Spec ammo due to harder primers than with commercial ammo. Red Loc Tite should PERMANENTLY hold the set screws. There is a possibility debris could get under the set screws and affect function. I just keep the mud out of my lower!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I would go with the Accuracy Speaks trigger.  It can be safely tuned to 3 1/2 pounds.  I met Derrick Martin last year....... good guy.

As far as the two stage.....you can manipulate some of them during rapid fire so you don't pull the first stage completely.

For a combat rifle the single stage is the way to go IMO.

btw-Post a pic of this rifle when your done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top