User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 5:42:34 PM EDT
Just saw this pistol, kind of different

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3469536
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What he says:

NOW THIS IS A PRE BAN AR 15 PISTOL MADE BY OLYMPIC ARMS .223CAL. HAS A 20 ROUND MAGAZINE FLASH SUPRESSER. I HAVE ONLY RAN 200 ROUNDS THROUGH THIS SINCE NEW THIS PISTOL IS FUN TO SHOOT AND IS IN MINT RARE CONDITION LOOK AT THAT CAMO JOB ONLY ONE LIKE THAT . OLYMPIC ONLY MADE LIKE 100 OF THESE THEN ALONG CAME THE BAN AND THEY HAD TO RE DESIGN IT TOTAL LENGHT OF WEAPON IS 16"NICE AND COMPACT SAME DESIGN AS THE FULL SIZE AR 15 HAS AN AIM POINT SCOPE AND HAS SWILVELS FOR A SLING THIS GUN SHOOTS PERFECT AND IS A BLAST I HAVENT SEEN ONE OF THESE IN A LONG TIME A MUST FOR THE SERIOUS COLLECTOR

What I say:

That looks like an OA-96 with a paint job.

Also,
he doesn't seem to know the capacity of the fixed magazine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Also,
he doesn't seem to know the capacity of the fixed magazine.

I thought a pre ban pistol did not have a 50ounce limit thus making a fixed mag something it did not need.

Couldn't a pre ban pistol have all the evil features...detach. mag, p-grip, FH, bayo lug?

I know the mag is fixed on that pistol...but would it have to be?

medcop
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

medcop

On that pistol...
you betcha!
There is no mag catch/release

But I know what you really mean... hee hee.
The OA-93s did use detachable mags.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

medcop

On that pistol...
you betcha!
There is no mag catch/release

But I know what you really mean... hee hee.
The OA-93s did use detachable mags.

So, if this is a true pre ban pistol could it be legally converted to use detachable mags?  

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the model number speaks for itself.  You don't think the 96 is anything other than the year of design or marketing, do you?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe this is a preban pistol. This is a postban, thats the reason for the mag not being able to be detached.

I have a preban OA 93 with the detachable mag. The original OA 93 has a lower receiver that has no hole for a stock. It was never machined into the lower receiver.

I put my OA 93 upper receiver on another AR15 lower pistol receiver so I could use a folding stock.

It is a great shooting pistol once you get use to the weight and balance. I've never had a jam or any malfunction. I put a Hogue finger groove grip and an ATI Ultra sight on it. It really is a fun shooting pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a post-ban. Oly came out with the pistol with the fixed mag after the ban to sidestep the 50oz limit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, this is a post ban.  I got to hold and look at these really well a couple years back when I worked at a gun shop.  They are a really cool solution to the crime bill as the upper hinges on the front pivot and you reload using stripper clips.  

Personally, I would rather have a Bolt Action AR-15 pistol then one without a removable mag but still a worthy solution!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The seller is either an ignorant fool or a dishonest jackass. Hell, you can read the model and serial number on the friggin' receiver! Has anyone emailed this guy to see where he's coming from? For all we know he could be a fed and this auction is a sting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]

The seller is either an ignorant fool or a dishonest jackass. Hell, you can read the model and serial number on the friggin' receiver! Has anyone emailed this guy to see where he's coming from? For all we know he could be a fed and this auction is a sting.

Seconded.

Another thing...

$1600?  For THAT?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I made a post on this forum or another about a Bushmaster pistol that was made in the mid-60's to early 70's. It has the same type of piston system, @ 10 inch barrel, detachable mag. The receiver is splits like an AR and has AR parts, but no slot for the trigger. Gun ejects through the top. Upper and lower are boxed shaped like an unfinished receiver. AR grip and trigger ar on a sleeve around the barrel in front of the mag. The sleeve and grip swivel for right or left hand and magazine rests on forarm. These are SEMI only. Only seen 2 or 3 others in this area at gun shows. Not very reliable, very noisy with regular flash hider. Has a long one on now. Hard to hit anything with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
yes this is a postban, I cant believe this guy is saying it is a preban, he doesnt even mention that it has a fixed mag, plus the camo paint is ugly, looks homemade. what a rip off, and it has bids on it!! I dont know if this guy really believes that it is  preban ot if he is trying to rip someone off????
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
LMAO!

The guy who is selling this is an idiot. It is not a pre-ban assault pistol. It is a post ban firearm. The pre-ban verison of the firearm is the OA-93. The key thing about the pictures he has posted is the rear locking system for the upper. There is a stud and only the OA-96 series had it. The mag is fixed in place and the thing is a POS! For that much money to sell, I would just get the ZM weapons kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top