Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2002 9:04:36 AM EDT
I bought a #39 A.R.M.S. to mount my COMP-M. I noticed right away the Aimpoint was off to the right about 2mm.

I discovered the #39 was at fault. The scallop in the clamping arm that grabs the front of the handguard is machined off center.

My guess is they do this to force the mount to one side thereby taking up any clearance between the mount and the carry handle slot.

Seems like a good idea but I also noticed the mount shifts as I vary the torque applied to the thumb screw holding the clamping arm.

With sufficient torque the mount reaches maximum deflection and always lands in the same spot.

The problem is the forward end of the mount is 2mm off center.

My plan is to re-machine the clamping arm so the scallop is on center and build tapers onto the part of the mount that sits in the handguard slot to take up any excess clearance.

Anyone found a better solution?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I would send it back. That way the finish is intact and they are aware of a quality control problem.

-elliott
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it back.  Elliott has the correct fix.  Get a new one.  Now if was a cheap knockoff that would be a different story.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't look like a manufacturing defect. I think it's intentional. I wrote Atlantic Research just to make sure. I'll post whatever I find out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
ARMS had some quality control problems recently but I heard those got ironed out. You may have gotten one that was sitting on a shelf for awhile before you bought it. Send it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top