Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2002 8:27:34 AM EDT
how do i get the brass markings off the deflector? without harming finish. the question applies to both parkerized & anodized finishes( like bushmaster ) thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
A regular pink pencil eraser will take them right off.

But, why bother?  They'll just come right back next time you shoot, and IMHO give the rifle some character.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A regular pink pencil eraser will take them right off.

But, why bother?  They'll just come right back next time you shoot, and IMHO give the rifle some character.

Ditto.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Me three, I leave the brass marks on.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
O.K.....thanks for that. i bought an ar from someone that was supposed to be pre-ban(paid pre-ban money for it)and found out its not. now i have to give it back to him. said i put 20 rds thru it....comprende?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Will the eraser method take copper markings off of the front sight?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
risky...were you told it was a pre-ban by the guy you got it from? I guess it was a put together pre-ban? If that is the case give, it back to him like it is. Tell him F.U. you lied to me misrepresentation How come it is not a pre-ban?
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
20 rounds?  CLP and some elbow grease.  I've also found that a light coat of CLP before you shoot helps keep the markings at a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
On a side note, to keep it from happening:

Cut a piece of Velcro (the fuzzy side) to size and shape of the brass deflector, and stick it on there.  I can't remember where I read/heard about it, but it seems to work alright.  Nothing like a "fuzzy" rifle!
I'll post a pic if'n you want.  It's really an interesting idea.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
page xx of unwritten AR manual states.. "thou shalt not remove brass markings from deflector".. your rifle is now officially seasoned!

these markings give your rifle character.. however; if you so desire, pencil eraser does the job. also, a small piece of velcro w/adhesive backing prevents this and also piles your brass up neatly at close proximity.

IMHO.. what AR hath done, let no man taketh away!.. leave the markings!!
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you really want to remove the brass marks on the deflector, just use a good copper remover like Sweet's 7.62 or Shooter's Choice. Works great!

coyote3
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
birchwood casey brass black.
aluminium black will "remove" barrel block marks too. the acid will eat most of it and darken the rest.

yes, all of my rifles look new. being anal-retentive is a full time job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
On a side note, to keep it from happening:

Cut a piece of Velcro (the fuzzy side) to size and shape of the brass deflector, and stick it on there.  I can't remember where I read/heard about it, but it seems to work alright.  Nothing like a "fuzzy" rifle!
I'll post a pic if'n you want.  It's really an interesting idea.

-Gloftoe

I know that was a "Troy tip."  I saw it posted a while ago. I'm not sure if that's where you heard it, but that's where I got it from.  I stopped worrying about the markings after I found a smal piece of finish that was pinged off the brass deflector.  I figured it was doing it's job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top