Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 11:35:38 PM EDT
OK, another question from a new AR owner;  Do all AR's have a definitive spring sound/vibration in the stock as the bolt cycles or is there something wrong with mine.  It is only heard/felt if you are the shooter, it's not loud or anything. It is a lightly used 20" HBAR Bushy with original stock. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats the buffer spring,,,, perfectly normal,, they all do it... tim
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]

BOINGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I thought that is what it was.  I just wanted to make for sure before I let some other AR wannabes/friends shoot it.  Later, Luavul.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Just take out your buffer and spring and take a little grease and lightly coat the first 1-1/2-2" of the inside of the buffer tube, then lightly coat the outside of the spring,and put back together, work the bolt a few times and enjoy.  I did find that the moly grease you get at an auto parts shop seemed to work better and longer
Borg
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Never put grease on your buffer spring or in the buffer tube, unless you live in the tropics and you go real light on it.

Grease and cold weather = fail to eject/fail to feed problems.  It slows the carrier down.

Just lightly oil the spring, and the inside of your buffer tube.  That "SPROING!" sound you will get used to and know it as a part of your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I rely on it to know when there has been a malfunction or my pea shooter is empty.

Unless your rifle is a range queen or you never shoot it on cold days steer clear of the grease!

I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  I'm saying that you should consider it first.

Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top