Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 1:30:44 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been asked a few hundred times, but I need to know:)! As a private citizen (no FFL), do I have to use an FFL to mail to another FFL in another state?  Or can I just mail it to the FFL?  Also if it is going to an FFL can I send it USPS or do
I still have to use that damn overnight UPS or Fed Express with their high charges?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The Firearm has to go from your dealer to the other person's dealer.  You cannot send it yourself.  I just went through this myself here in Jersey. Enen if there is no money changing hands between you and your trade, it has to be done by a dealer. At least that's how Jersey operates.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, according to the law you can ship it directly to an FFL in another state. You do not need to go from an FFL in your state to an FFL in the recipients state. HOWEVER, most FFL's I know that run a storefront will not do this because of insurance/liability reasons. So, while it is legal, most will only accept a transfer between FFL's. And as always, state law may vary. But in Washington I can ship direct to another FFL in another state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fella's.  What about the method of shipment?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not need to ship from an FFL, only to one. Some FFLs only want to receive from another FFL, but it is just preference. I just sent a money order on Tuesday to a gentleman out-of-state for a rifle. He is a non-FFL holder. As for shipping, I prefer USPS Priority Mail. You do not have to ship overnight unless it is a handgun. Also, do not ship ammo with the firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top