Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 11:43:08 AM EDT
This should be posted in the "optics" section, but there's always more posts and "lurkers" here.

Here's the chain of events:

1. Purchase Aimpoint COMP/XD
2. Purchase Aimpoint gooseneck for the AR fixed carry handle
3. Purchase QD ARMS mount for the M68 (Aimpoint)

After all these "investments", the darn thing doesn't mount properly.  The Aimpoint sits far too close to the gooseneck for me to open or close the scope covers.  I have seen an "extender" for the ARMS Aimpoint mount…but am now apprehensive at making one last purchase.

Have any of you had this experience, and if so, what's the solution (excluding the obvious, like: "use your iron sights").  Should I buy the "extender", and if so, do I buy the "half" or the "full length"?

Any help would be much appreciated.

FREE
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's my understanding that the ARMS #22M68 mount does not interface with the Aimpoint carry handle mount.

You may need to sell the ARMS (yeah I know, that sux) and get the Aimpoint Railgrabber.  OR, sell the Aimpoint carry handle mount and get an ARMS #39, which DO interface together.  However, the #39 does not work with M4 handguards so beware.

This is why we need an Aimpoint FAQ in the optics section.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn your scope covers at an angle and they will open and close freely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's my understanding that the ARMS #22M68 mount does not interface with the Aimpoint carry handle mount.

You may need to sell the ARMS (yeah I know, that sux) and get the Aimpoint Railgrabber.  OR, sell the Aimpoint carry handle mount and get an ARMS #39, which DO interface together.  However, the #39 does not work with M4 handguards so beware.

This is why we need an Aimpoint FAQ in the optics section.

Well, the Aimpoint gooseneck clears my M4 handguards, so the ARMS #39 is out.  Finding a Railgrabber is like getting a tax return (rare), so I wrote that off.  Isn't there another solution?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The one way you can make it work with what you have now is to machine a new groove in the gooseneck mount.  That way the ARMS mount can be clamped in the proper position.  

Hold the sight (mounted on the ARMS mount) on top of the rail and slide it forward until the scope covers have clearance to flip down.  Mark that spot and machine a slot with a dremel tool.  If you take your time with the dremel, finish off the slot with a file, and use some aluminum black to refinish the machined spot it should look pretty good.  The ARMS mount will be covering your work when it's mounted so don't worry if it doesn't come out perfectly.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you take your time with the dremel, finish off the slot with a file, and use some aluminum black to refinish the machined spot it should look pretty good.  The ARMS mount will be covering your work when it's mounted so don't worry if it doesn't come out perfectly.

Thanks FNRL...I had thought about dremeling, just thought there was a better (less messy) way.  At least it won't cost me any more money.her
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet that Brownells still has the Railgrabber available, and they won't rob you either.  That's where I got mine recently.

www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Freeman,

I have a Railgrabber that I would be willing to trade for your ARMS 22M68.

If interested, shoot me an e-mail.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a Railgrabber that I would be willing to trade for your ARMS 22M68.

Just to let the board know, Airhead and I exchanged mounts.

He is a man of his word.  Should any of you have to deal with him, you will find the same as I did.

Just confirming that there is one more honest person out there.  We need more of these guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top