Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 10:18:08 AM EDT
Hi,  I just picked up an Enfield No. 1 Mark III today and have a few questions.  I just spent the past few hours cleaning out all of the cosmoline but I cant seem to get it all out of the magazine.  There doesn't appear to be any way to disassemble it, and there is spoonfuls of that shit in there.  One other question, .303 is 7.7mm so I can use a regular .30 caliber cleaning brush in the barrel, right?  Thanks

pvtJoker
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.britishguns.net/cgi-bin/forums/enfield.pl?

All your questions and more will be answered here. I've been hanging out with these guys for two years, and if they dont know it about Enfields, it aint' worth knowing.

As for your two questions here- yes, any .30 cal brush will do, I recomend a pullthrough though, less wear on the rifle.

And the magazine- there is a way to disassembel it, but it involves un-bending those two little tabs forward of your feed lips and pulling the follower out. If you can unbend them and re bend them without breaking them, go for it. If not, just soak the sucker in hot water with pine-sol and shake it a bit to get the goo out. Rinse and repeat.

Amir
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When I was just a little gun nut I used to reload my 7.7 Arisaka with Lee Enfield bullets with my Lee Loader so I would think you could use the same brush.

Nice gun, eh? The action on mine is one of the fastest bolt guns I have shot.

Why would it help to convert the diameter to metric measurements to figure out if the brush will fit?

Can't you simply compare .30 and .303 (or .308 and .311) and tell that's good enough? Did I miss something?  I mean, within a hundredth of an inch ought to do for a CLEANING BRUSH, never mind a couple thousandths!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
GuardTanker,

Thanks for the Info on the mag.  I think i will use the latter method.  I don't feel like breaking my magazine.  

Aimless, the action is very nice.  Much more smooth than my friends M44 carbine.

Thanks for the help

PvtJoker
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy smokes don't be bending the tabs on an enfield mag they will BREAK !  The follower will come out the top easily by design. Push the back of the follower down so it's about 45 degrees than guide the nose of the follower past the forward tabs and pull it up and out .  

Guard Tanker : please go see Razzy for Enfield Mag Disassembly 101...
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#6]

DON'T BEND THOSE FEED LIPS

And check out this forum
www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/lee-enfield/lee-enfield.pl

This is where all of the Gun & Knife Lee-Enfield folks have gone.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my little No.1 MkIII I got from SOG!  Why are these guns so addictive???  I notice myself eyeing these guns more than any other at shows lately.  I need to join an Enfield help group.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't bend the feedlips.  I put some water and pinesol in a pot and and warmed it up.  I let the mag soak in it for about 15min and all of that cosmoline just poured out.  Thank you for the instructions of how to remove the follower.  I tried it out and it works great.  Now I can oil it up after the pinesol bath it just got.  Thanks a lot.

PvtJoker
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
No4MkI- Mark, the owner of G&K has re-opened only the british weapons forums at the site I posted. G&K didnt 'close' it just relocated...

As for bending the tabs- I didnt mean the feedlips, to whomever thought I was suggesting that. I ment the little tabs up front. Believe it or not you can bend them without breaking them off, you just have to do it slowly and carefuly. I've had mags that wouldnt come apart any other way.

SAM1A, variety, durability, shootability, usefulness. The SMLE offers something no bolt action of its day could boast- ten in the mag, one in the pipe, extremely easy to shoot, .30-06 range and power without .30-06 recoil. As for a modern gun, its cheaper than any hunting rifle on the market, and I dont know of any gun for even four times its price that will compete with a No4MkI accuracy wise right out of the box. And with the Ishapore .308s, you can get a very inexpensive, very fast handeling NATO caliber rifle that will keep up with the ROF and accuracy of your average M1, and with most of them, you can be guild free about altering the Ishapore until your heart is content. My favourite is to take a 2A1 and re-stock it with a synthetic, turn the barrel back to about 20", put a good comp on it, scope it, and fit it with a Harris bipod. With the money you'd save over a modern tactical rifle you can have your gunsmith parkerize it and buy yourself a case of ammo for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks GuardTanker. I didn't know there was yet another refuge for the Gun&Knife Enfield folks.

The Culver pages can get a little ripe with trolls sometimes.

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top