Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 9:11:03 PM EDT
if i had an ar-15 pre-ban lower rifle could i permintly attach a 75 round back loading metal mag by welding it to the reciever and put a pistol upper on it with the pistol no stock replacment piece and would it be legal? if not why?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the reciever must be registered as a pistol.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
what if the reciever came stripped from the factory?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's still not registered as a pistol, is it?

I could be way off course here, but I think you'll have to get it registered as a pistol first.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
how would i register it as one who or where do i contact?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
That's something I have no clue about.  Hopefully someone else will chime in here.  Probably in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it has to be built from a stripped lower which has never been part of a rifle. Thats why hesse sells the Ak pistols. Because their recivers are built new and have never been part of a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
keep your preban in tact, they are to valuable to be welding mags in, what you can do is buy a lower registered as a pistol, stripped preban lowers alone will sell for over $600 all day long. I see stripped pistol lowers all the time for $200.00, (check gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com) just put a pistol upper on that, you will have to weld the mag in place, so that the gun only has 2 evil features, but remember it has to weigh less than 50 oz to be legal. so you will want the lightest parts you can find., I hope that helps
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
also I dont think you can leagally put handguards on it, (all the legal aspects of this makes AR pistols almost impossible to build), anyone know for sure??? arent all of these laws silly?? why cant we just put a pistol upper on and a pistol buffer assembly??? does that make you more likely to commit a crime with the gun? because it is a pitol, or has a collapsable stock, does it make the gun more deadly or dangerous??? (of course im being sarcastic, it drives me crazy!)
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't bother welding a drum to a preban.

If you want to make a AR pistol nowadays,
Option one, is to buy the Hesse carbon fiber lower and build up a postban pistol, i.e, no handguards and under 50 OZ.
Hesse sells the carbon fiber lowers registered as pistol lowers.
I have not built one myself but have heard that it is possible to keep the weight under 50 oz with a flattop upper and a carbon fiber lower.

Option two is to buy a OA-98 the Oly "swiss cheese gun" direct from the factory.

Option three is to buy the Professional Ordnance AR pistol direct from the factory.

Option four buy a post ban stripped lower and have the yellow form list is as a pistol and manufacture a AR pistol with a mag permanently welded to the lower. Oly had a gun they sold similar to this for a acouple years. I beleive it was the OA-94.  To load you flipped the gun open at the lower and upper receiver and loaded the mag from the top.
With this option you can have all the evil features you want since it no longer has a detachable magazine.

Option five would be to buy a preban AR pistol lower.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]
if i welded in a back opening type 75 or 120 round mag,the kind you wind up after you load it. i would never have to open it up to load it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top