Posted: 3/20/2002 2:14:31 PM EDT

I received info today that the US Army is
trying to block future sales of Lake City
5.56 ammo.

Can anyone confirm ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I got this from AMMOMAN today:

This is a copy of the e-mail i just received regarding the status of the Lake City ammo.
We will have this put to bed one way or the other by next week and i will e-mail as soon i hear back.
Thanks
Eric the ammoman

Email from Tuesday March 18th.:
Eric
It is not looking good.  The Army has shut down all third party shipments out of Lake City.  This is shutting down over $10 million worth of ammo.  They are worried about liability for the Army. I am told I will have a final answer this week.  They are probably going to let us have what is already packed(which is all of your order). It has been packed and ready to ship for 4 weeks now. This has gotten way out of hand. You will be the first call I make when I get the word from the Army.  

This really pisses me off and I am sure you too!!!! We had all of this arranged with Lake City with signed contracts back in January.

GIB

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They are worried about liability?  So if I shoot someone with my Lake City ammo, I can claim the Army is responsible?  Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"liability".........!!!

maybe blow up yer rifle ??????
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]

I wonder if they might be doing this because of future plans to go after Iraq or another terrorist target?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
 Lake City is operated by Alliant Techsystems (last time I looked). Alliant owns Blount inc, who owned the Federal ammunition line. I don't know anything about product liability laws, but I would think anything sold with a "Federal" label would be covered by them.
www.atk.com/defense/
 I would be hard to believe that Alliant would not be able to sell excess capacity. (Unless the military is stocking up)

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
This is disturbing indeed.

Anyone know what the scoop is?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Ammoman are you out there?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They are probably going to let us have what is already packed (which is all of your order). It has been packed and ready to ship for 4 weeks now.

LC may get a little short for a while. Buy what you want\need if you get the chance.

I've still got a stash from the last "shortage".  
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It always pays to keep 1000 rounds in stock,
48 hour supply.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]

has there been any indication that imi is getting harder to find or that less is being exported? with the current political situation, i would think export sales would be very ow on the list.

Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Their only liability is if the Pentagon calls up asking for more ammo and they say it's not available because they just sold it off to the general public.

In another year we'll probably have more excess ammo than the public can shoot off in ten years. It's probably too early to declare a shortage, but as long as the brass get to theorize on attacks against half the middle east I think ammo suppliers will think hard about whether or not they have surplus...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Another possible angle on the liability.

I've done a bit here and there with military contracts in the past, and by liability they may also mean that LC agreed to to be able to supply a certain volume of ammunition in a certain timerframe if asked to do so as part of the negotiated contract, otherwise penalties may come into effect for violation of that stipulation in the contract.  The Army may have asked for this large volume to be produced because of recent events, and LC is having trouble with the volume.  This is just speculation on my part, but another possible angle, who knows, probably dumb to guess without any info...

takque- read your post just after submitting mine, I think we're on the same wavelength.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How many times have I said, (paraphrasing here) "Get it now, because it isn't likely to be available for very long, and you'll wish you had stocked up."

-Troy

Not only that, but it usually doesn't get any cheaper, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top