Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 11:26:12 PM EDT
I am doing a research paper for my Western Civ. class and I have decided to do my paper on the MG42.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows any websites with that tell how this gun came about and all the pertinent historical information on this gun.  Also if anyone has an idea for a gun that may have a more historical influence on modern weaponry.  All weapons suggested must be of European orgin.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you do an Internet search on MG 42, you will find lots of sites discussing history, development, and function of the gun.  Other European guns with considerable influence on modern weapons would be the Walther P-38 (first successful mass-produced double action handgun, the granddaddy of many of today's designs), or the Walther PP, still produced virtually unchanged.  Of course, there is also the Sturmgewehr 44, the first assault rifle (fully automatic, reduced cartridge size and power) which paved the ground for the development of the modern assault rifle.  Lots of choices and lots of info to be had over the Internet.  Good luck with your paper (odd but cool topic for a Western Civ paper!)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, the STGW 44 is a better choice for a "historical" firearm, it literally changed the face of small-arms.

You may also consider looking at the first repeater rifle , or maybe the first revolver.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys.  I am going to look into the STGW 44 as a topic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top