Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 1:47:05 PM EDT
Has anyone recently order complete rifles from Armalite? If so I'm interested in how long it's taking to fill orders. I ordered their M-15A4BN in late January and have recently been given a new ship date for late April...maybe!

Perhaps the experts here on the board can answer the following questions:
1) Is this realistic?
2) Do Bushmaster and Colt have similar lead times?
3) If not, is the Armalite worth the wait or should I cancel and buy the Bushmaster or Colt?

This is my first AR and as you can imagine, I'm  somewhat disappointed in the wait...especially since it's now going to be 1.5 months later than the original ship date.

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

JJ

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I ordered an AR15 Ultra-match from Olympic Arms 10 years ago, and it took me 6 months to get it. I thought they had forgotten about me, but low and behold, a call from my FFL saying your is here, and I had to say what's that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting that you bring this up, I was just at my local dealer, asking how long it would take to get an Armalite M-15A2 Carbine. He told me anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks.

He has a couple of bushies in stock that are actually $50 cheaper but I had my heart set on an Armalite.

So, what should I do?

Is the Armalite really better?

BTW he does have some 20" Armalites in stock...

Choices??????
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
JJD & thedave,

hang in there an wait for your ArmaLite rifles.

I don't mean for this to be a smart-a$$ answer but they ain't back-ordered cause shooters don't like them !  

Both of you decided on ArmaLite due to a recommendation, review or other personal research.  Stay with your original thought.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
JJD & thedave,

I don't mean for this to be a smart-a$$ answer but they ain't back-ordered cause shooters don't like them !  

Both of you decided on ArmaLite due to a recommendation, review or other personal research.  Stay with your original thought.

Hey 5sub...how 'ya doin'??  Tonight when we were talking on the phone, DonR mentioned you're an Armalite fan.  I have a borrowed original of a 1964 edition of the Dallas Morning News with a friend's picture holding the then-new AR17 Golden Gun shotgun.  He was chosen by Armalite to do the introduction to the Texas area.  If you're interested, IM me your fax number and I'll send you a copy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JJD & thedave,

Hey 5sub...how 'ya doin'??  Tonight when we were talking on the phone, DonR mentioned you're an Armalite fan.  I have a borrowed original of a 1964 edition of the Dallas Morning News with a friend's picture holding the then-new AR17 Golden Gun shotgun.  He was chosen by Armalite to do the introduction to the Texas area.  If you're interested, IM me your fax number and I'll send you a copy.

Arock,
thanks for the thought !  My fax is down but I'll get the number of my FFL's fax and email when he opens.  1964 is the year of introduction and a copy of that picture would be very nice to have.
Arock, I know you're a technical type and probably already know this but the AR-17, although semi-automatic, had only a one shot magazine - one in the chamber and one in the mag.  Probably originally designed as a skeet gun.
(I happen to have the AR-17 Golden Gun (about 1200 produced) but actually some few were made in black (about 200) and that is the more rare AR-17.  Some guy named Mark something-or-other has the AR-17 Black in the ArmaLite museum.)
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi everyone,
How accurate are Armalite's delivery date estimates? I ordered a AR10A4 last month and was told I would get it in June! Any chance it might show up sooner? I hate waiting!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hi everyone,
How accurate are Armalite's delivery date estimates? I ordered a AR10A4 last month and was told I would get it in June! Any chance it might show up sooner? I hate waiting!

My expierence with them is, their time quotations are pretty close (within weeks).

mark
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered an M15A4C in mid-January, dealer didn't know how long it would take.  I asked Armalite approx. when I should expect my carbine.  Armalite's reply: June 2002.

Yesterday I changed my order to a Bushmaster which will ship today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I ordered an M15A4C in mid-January, dealer didn't know how long it would take.  I asked Armalite approx. when I should expect my carbine.  Armalite's reply: June 2002.

Your point is???  Let's see, ArmaLites are hard to get because they are the best, your Bushmaster ships tommorrow.  Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Some times the finished product is worth the wait.  I'd rather have someone take the time to ensure that I get the best.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point is???  Let's see, ArmaLites are hard to get because they are the best, your Bushmaster ships tommorrow.  Hmmmmm.

No point, just sharing info.  Armalites the best?  Based on what I've read here and on other sites, they aren't that much better, if at all.  Five months for an AR15?  Gimme a break.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No point, just sharing info.  Armalites the best?  Based on what I've read here and on other sites, they aren't that much better, if at all.  Five months for an AR15?  Gimme a break.

What have you read that indicates otherwise.  Things written by those who have never owned or fired or even examined an ArmaLite?  What other sites?  If you are judging by the amount of time it takes to get one, they you are using the wrong criteria.  Using that criteria, however, it would still come out that they are the best.  They are in such demand that they are backordered and unlike most other AR15 mfgs, they make other lines of rifles which take up some of their time also.  No other AR maker offers a .50 or a bolt .338 rifle, or an AR in .308 or an AR180.  Others may offer some of these, but they don't make ARs also.  Did you come here solely to slam ArmaLite?  They have better quality than anyone else and a more diverse line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
"They have better quality than anyone else and a more diverse line."

Well, FWIW, the upper to my $1,300 Armalite flat-top carbine is sitting on their "repair" shelf (with bolt) as we speak.

I could never get off more than two magazines without some type of jamb.  If you pay $1,300 for something, it damned well better work!h,
Diverse...maybe...quality...hopefully your experiences will be better than mine.

I bought a FNFAL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I still have not seen anyone write about real objective criteria comparing Armalite with any of the others. There are obviously lots of opinions based on delivery time...and you all know how upset I am over that.

Larry G...That was a good point about Armalite being committed to other calibers and weapon types...but it doesn't tell me anything about their M-15 vs others' AR-15's. There seems to be a lot of Armalite loyalty, and that's one reason I orered from them Can you be more specific if you believe their quality is superior?

Most importantly, I don't want my emotional reaction to cloud my judgement over facts that should weigh heavier in the decision-making process.

What can I expect as far as accuracy, reliability, fit, finish and quality? Aside from forged parts (which it seems they all have), what are the design, manufacturing and quality control aspects that I should consider over their crappy lead time. Or, if there are no measureable differences, then why shouldn't I cancel my order and buy a Bushmaster or Colt?

TIA

JJ

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Or, if there are no measureable differences, then why shouldn't I cancel my order and buy a Bushmaster or Colt?

Armalite = Lifetime warranty, excellent customer service, and mil-spec product.

Bushmaster = Warranty, customer service, and mil-spec product.

Colt = Warranty, Mil-spec parts, somewhat questionable customer service, and slow turn-around times (on repairs).

Pretty general...but it might help a little My $.02
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I know several real life people who have had problems with Armalites.  They are good rifles, and can possibly be best if you get a good one.  Unfortunately, it appears to be a crap shoot.

Now I'm talking about improperly size mag wells, rust on NIB rifles that were just delivered from Armalite, poor accuracy, and other problems.  I also know many Armalite owners who have not had any of these problems.

My point, I think they are a good company but not any better than anybody else, just based on the people that I have talked to.

-SS
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered an AR-10 last November and I was told there was a 2-4 wk wait.I did'nt get the rifle until 6 mos. (give or take a little) later. I almost canceled the order.I'm glad that I did'nt.My AR-10 is my favorite and it has been reliable.It's had the bolt catch break and problems with the firing pin retaining pin,none of this stopped the rifle from functioning.
As to which is better,I think A'lite and Bushy are pretty close.I have a Bushy M4 that is absolutely wonderful.If it were me,I'd hang in there for the A'lite.The lifetime warranty is worth the wait and extra bucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]

What have you read that indicates otherwise.  Things written by those who have never owned or fired or even examined an ArmaLite?  What other sites?

Too many threads on this site to individually list the ones I've read, but this is my take:  

Both Armalite and Bushmaster make fine rifles, and you generally can't go wrong with either brand.  Bushmaster closer to mil-spec, more rugged, better barrel (4150 steel).  Armalite typically has better finish, more accurate out of the box, better (lifetime) warranty.

Also looked at the Maryland AR15 Shooter's site.  Can't remember the URL but Google will find it.

FWIW, Gun-Tests gave Armalite the nod in a review a couple years back.  I think they liked the Armalite trigger better than the Bushmaster's.

If you are judging by the amount of time it takes to get one, they you are using the wrong criteria.  Using that criteria, however, it would still come out that they are the best.

Huh?

They are in such demand that they are backordered and unlike most other AR15 mfgs, they make other lines of rifles which take up some of their time also.  No other AR maker offers a .50 or a bolt .338 rifle, or an AR in .308 or an AR180.  Others may offer some of these, but they don't make ARs also.

Yes, I suspect this affects their ability to ship 15's.

Did you come here solely to slam ArmaLite?

Nope.  I almost bought one.  I will own one someday.  Heard lots of good things about the AR10.  Armalite customer service has been responsive and helpful.

Again, I have no personal experience with either rifle and welcome all opinions and comments, especially from those with first hand experience.

Regards,
Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top