Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 11:52:16 AM EDT
 What kind of accuracy can I expect with a floated Bushy 20" full heavy 1-9" barrel?  I shot it with 55 grain FMJ and 52 grain SP so far, and accuracy has been disappointing....3-4" @ 100 yards.  I want one moa, am I going to have to get a different barrel or am I missing something?

Edited to add...this is a v-match upper assembly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You can expect the 1moa - but you will have to find (or load) the right ammo.  After the barrel, ammo is a key component of mechanical accuracy.  Cheap ammo or surplus might not do it.  What are you using for ammo (we need specifics)?  What position are you using to shoot, what kind of trigger do you have, what are you using for optics?  Not to mention are YOU capable of 1 moa shooting?

Edited to add:
There is a difference in Mechanical Accuracy (which is the accuracy capable with the rifle + ammo combination fired from a ransom rest or sandbagged) and practical accuracy - which includes the human component.  Different people may shoot the rifle differently.

Your rifle may have a mechanical capability of 1moa groups - but with a human shooting it may group larger.  For example my M4 can shoot sub 2moa groups - mechanically; when I start shooting it (depending on sights and shooting position used) I can group from 3 moa to 6 moa - with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You should expect much better than that.  Is this a new or used barrel?  What sights are you using?  

On my new Bushmaster 16" barrel I could get 1-1.5 moa all day.  I sold that for a 20" Bushmaster preban DCM Rifle and accuracy is worse, but this barrel has seen a LOT of use.  I haven't fired it enough to get a real group size.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can expect the 1moa - but you will have to find (or load) the right ammo.  After the barrel, ammo is a key component of mechanical accuracy.  Cheap ammo or surplus might not do it.  What are you using for ammo (we need specifics)?  What position are you using to shoot, what kind of trigger do you have, what are you using for optics?  Not to mention are YOU capable of 1 moa shooting?

Edited to add:
There is a difference in Mechanical Accuracy (which is the accuracy capable with the rifle + ammo combination fired from a ransom rest or sandbagged) and practical accuracy - which includes the human component.  Different people may shoot the rifle differently.

Your rifle may have a mechanical capability of 1moa groups - but with a human shooting it may group larger.  For example my M4 can shoot sub 2moa groups - mechanically; when I start shooting it (depending on sights and shooting position used) I can group from 3 moa to 6 moa - with the same ammo.

The trigger is factory Bushmaster, not a two stage.  The ammo is a handload of 55grn Winchester FMJBT or 52 grn soft point over 25 grns W748 in a Lake City case and Winchester SR primer.  This is shooting from a bipod.

I shoot nice ragged one hole groups with my Savage 110FP and handloads from a pod or ruck.
I have shot 7 rounds into one ragged hole at 25 yards with my Kimber and regularly shoot groups in the sub 2" with it.  I have basics fairly well down, I believe that most of the problem is in the weapon.  

I am leaning towards the 52-55's being a little light for the barrel and trying 62-75's.

Edited to add:  I hear all these stories about accurate AR-s.  My Colt 1-12" lite 16" disappointed me, but then I had the barrel indexed properly and it was better but still not good.  I picked up this bushy V match and I am again disappointed.  This one appears put together properly however.  I will be inspecting the bore closer today.

Any advise you guys have would be good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You should expect much better than that.  Is this a new or used barrel?  What sights are you using?  

On my new Bushmaster 16" barrel I could get 1-1.5 moa all day.  I sold that for a 20" Bushmaster preban DCM Rifle and accuracy is worse, but this barrel has seen a LOT of use.  I haven't fired it enough to get a real group size.

I got it used, but it's in good shape.  The bolt group shows only a little wear on the edge of the bearing surfaces, it doesn't look like it has been shot much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey!
 If you like the 52gr. try Hornaday's 52 match over 25.5gr. of Varget. I shoot this recipe from my 20" bushy NM, My Bushy M4 clone and a DPMS cmp rifle.  Not trying to sound like a blowhard, but at 100 i can touch holes with all three rifles and this load.  I played with 748, and NEVER got the accuracy I got from Varget or the new Benchmark.  The shootin I'm talking about is from a bench, on top of a cheap Midway benchrest and a 3.00 sandbag.  Listen to these guys...Find a load B4 you think it's the barrel.
 Winchester's component 55gr softpoint bullets will almost get as close as the 52's, using the same load.  Did you break this barrel in?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Stock trigger is OK, but a better one might help.  Have you played with that load to tune it to the Bushy?  A load that is tuned for the Savage does not neccisarily produce tight groups for other rifles.

62gr would be better for the 1:9 twist - but you should still be able to do good with 55gr ammo.

M4NUT:  Break-in for a chrome lined barrel is to put 200-300 rounds through it <G>.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Stock trigger is OK, but a better one might help.  Have you played with that load to tune it to the Bushy?  A load that is tuned for the Savage does not neccisarily produce tight groups for other rifles.

62gr would be better for the 1:9 twist - but you should still be able to do good with 55gr ammo.

M4NUT:  Break-in for a chrome lined barrel is to put 200-300 rounds through it <G>.  

Whoops.  I should have added that the Savage is a .308.  My point was that I can indeed hold harder than this weapon.  
I have some varget on hand, I will make a small batch with it and see once.  Other than that, I dunno.  Maybe I'll pick up some heavier bullets too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top