Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 6:13:48 AM EDT
I never was compelled to do much sniffing on guns before, but when my new Colt M-4 handguards arrived from Pete-In_NH, I was immediatly seized by an olofactory obsession...man, these things smell weird...but why? And why am I compelled to get nostrilly intimate with them every few hours? Never smelled plasic like this before...or could it be a mold release agent? The plasic is a nice and glossy black, the scent strong and indescribable...I think I need help...Anybody who has noticed this phenomena, chime in...
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Are you seeing anyone about this....?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you huff a lot of glue when you were younger?

Av.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't I read somewhere that the final step at the handguard factory is to have some guy wipe his ass with the handguard?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
No, it is not an "shit" smell, CairborneRanger; its more of a buttery lemony oil cinnamon gasoline scent(though perhaps like many of the people who post on this board you don't think your own shit stinks)...and I did build many models as a youth, though I never ever "huffed"...Surely, there are some other owners out there who have experienced this...go take a whiff! Especially those who bought from Pete-In-NH!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Probably a heavy application of "two ball" lotion
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]

buttery lemony oil cinnamon gasoline scent
Until I got to "gasoline" I was prepared to rub my bagel on a handguard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm, I've yet to taste it, but I'll bet it has plenty of fiber...glass fiber, that is...
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I got some M4 handguards from Pete about 2 months ago.  Because of you, I made myself sneak a sniff on the ole handguards.  Mine don't smell the way you describe.  Maybe I should return mine to Pete for the scented version.  Seriously, mine smell like plastic.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 sets that I got from Pete.  Mine smell kinda weird too.

Oh, wait.  Nevermind.  I just used a nasal spray.

Nope!  Mine smell just like regular ol' Colt M4 plastic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe you got me to just unlock the safe and SMELL my M4gery.  Mine smells faintly of CLP.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I suggest you find help.....SOON!  hacko.gif

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I think probably a scense of smell and sanity have very little to do with eachother.  $.02
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
not only does my rifle smell nice, it talks to me as well.

"Hokie, love me, hold me, touch me..."
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had it talk to me yet, though some of my guns have made it into my dreams...damn things never do work in those dreams though...as for the smell, mine must be "fresh from the oven", and not two months old and stale like yours, Treelo...when I got home from work today I went straight to my study where I left them M-4 handguards out and wouldn't ya know it, the whole room smelled faintly of the mystery scent...please, please, somebody else take a hit off of yours and try to describe this unique cachet!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
do you smell your finger after sticking it in the buttstock?
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I think mine smell like, UMmmm.... Summer's Eve!! Oh my gosh! Must be the ribs...

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmmm.   I've seen this before.

Storm:  Did you order the handguard with the new Pantry/Garage scent?  You would have been better off to only order ONE scent combo.  That way the gasoline smell doesn't overpower the cinnamon.  The garage combo includes gasoline, WD40, laundry detergent and oil soaked concrete while the pantry includes oil, cinnamon, lemon, and butter flavored spud flakes.

Just kiddin' ya bud.  Thanks for the laugh.  Maybe you are smelling fresh plastic with some sort of mold lube from the factory.

-white horse
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think mine smell like, UMmmm.... Summer's Eve!!

This brings up all sorts of new possibilities for those mother-daughter commercials we love so much.  On the beach with my mom and my beloved M4....

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think mine smell like, UMmmm.... Summer's Eve!!

This brings up all sorts of new possibilities for those mother-daughter commercials we love so much.  On the beach with my mom and my beloved M4....

ROFL  Don't even start with that...  Even though, it might make a better commercial than what they have now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
do you smell your finger after sticking it in the buttstock?

Its horrible....there is Corona on my shirt, shorts, keyboard, monitor and webcam, as well as the possibility of internal injuries from laughing so hard.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
speaking of dreams, a long time ago I had this Llama .357 mag., kind of a python lookalike that got out of time once and had to be opened up and retimed inside the frame. I started having nightmares where I would need to use that thing and it would not fire. I ended up selling that thing cheep and quick.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
They are baked for 5 hours in a cow shit fired oven.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, the only thing I find weird is that you never sniffed your firearms much before.

Sniffing firearms is my third favorite hobby. Right behind shooting firearms, and loading mags.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
My Norinco AK47 smells like "numba fwee wiff whi rice,...no MSG,....exta eggroll"
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I will agree with StormSurge, when I picked up a set at the local gunshow, they smelled pretty bad. After a good cleaning they were fine though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
storm surge, your not gonna believe this but i had the exact same problem with the same parts. i couldnt figure it out for weeks and i was asking everyone what the hell the deal was, no one else could smell it though?

hey, on a different subject, any of you guys ever buy the new buttery lemony oily cinnamon gas scented kleenex? its great.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#27]
i bought M-4 handguards from pete and they did have some strange sweet smell too them.i thought it might be the glue they used to keep the heat sheilds in with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
An excellent deduction, Fatso! Unfortunatly, I am at work now...have to wait to get home to test the valididty of the "gluey theory"...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey Stormsurge how much dope do you smoke?
Were you smoking any when your handguards arrived?

I am laughing my head off Chairborne ranger your first comment was too funny.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]
How dare you defame my good name, Docpig! I have never used dope or any other illegal drug in my 36 years as a human being on this planet...drugs are for morally and spiritually weak conformists, not assault rifle totin' individualistic former Marines...still at work, not able to check to see if it is the glue yet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top